New Wiper Blades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 73 needs new wiper blades. I have them off the truck right now and today I removed the worn out inserts. I also notices that the rest of the assembly can not be taken apart as it is crimped and pinned together unlike more modern wiper units. Right now all I'm seeing in the way of replacements are what I consider some very expensive inserts, yes I can afford them but they seem like rip off prices. I may go all new parts if I'm going to pay that much. What are my options with this? Any cheaper inserts I'm not finding?

We just use OEM at my shop. Do you consider $20-ish a blade expensive?

What about longer wiper blades? It seems we've got an inch or two to wipe still?

I'd have to go look but I think I modified mine to take inserts - buy 1 long one and cut it in half IIRC.

@Sky King what do you mean by crimped on?

Should just be an old school bayonet style connection to the wiper arm.
Still available for about $20-25 depending on the time of the day and phase of the moon from online Toyota dealers.

@Sky King what do you mean by crimped on?

Should just be an old school bayonet style connection to the wiper arm.
Still available for about $20-25 depending on the time of the day and phase of the moon from online Toyota dealers.
I'll have to take a picture , the arm that goes into the cradle that hold the rubber blade insert is held by bent over metal tabs the pivot point is a peened rivet and also a tiny roll pin. There doesn't seem to be a tab to push down to remove that assembly from the arm that's why I am just looking for the rubber blades themselves. Maybe I'm missing how that joint comes apart?

Basically held on by spring tension with a small knob at that hole.

Part number for reference.

20240205_205717.jpg
20240205_205735.jpg
20240205_205740.jpg
20240205_205812.jpg

So here's a picture of what I have, A closer look revealed a small flat piece of metal I was told to look for that when pushed allowed the cradle to separate from the arm, My fat fingers were just able to push it without a tool. So it looks like I should have some options if I want to replace the cradle and blade part, any suggestion as what to get? Best quality for best price? It doesn't have to look original.

IMG_1541.JPG

The OEM blade assembly comes with everything right of the wiper arm in your picture. I picked up a new set from my local dealer for $29 ish each last month. You could probably find new blade inserts cheaper but it’s the easiest replacement option.

Cruiser Outfitters also carries them; where I bought mine.

Cruiser Outfitters also carries them; where I bought mine.
That's the route I will most likely go, The nearest Toyota dealership is 75 miles away in Santa Fe and I don't get down there too often, I do wish they were closer.

That’s got to be from There, I Fixed It!
The ultimate rabbit hole of redneck repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom