Windshield Vent Gasket Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
I posted before what a PITA it is to replace the early vent gasket. I hadn't realized that the 25 and early 40 were not bolted together. It is posssible to work/grind/melt/pick the old gasket out and coax/squeeze/beg/beat a new one back in............I spent a couple days doing that before............................new method:

Here's the offending vent with it's spotwelds and without:
gas1.jpg
gas2.jpg

Here's the old gasket laid out on my blank red gasket, to mark the center to be cut out. You can use SOR's repro, just need to cut out the middle. I cleaned the inside up and painted the two mating faces with weld-through primer, they were bare before.
gas3.jpg
gas4.jpg

Before you weld triple check the orientation of the opening bracket shown. If you put this in upside down you won't find out until you're reinstalling it. :) Weld up, mask off the gasket and repaint. I pity the next guy in 40 years that needs to replace this thing. ;p
gas5.jpg

Last edited:
are the "newer" 40-45 bolt together ones the same size? easier to swap??

The finished poop. If only I had a 25 to bolt this stuff onto. :rolleyes:
gas6.jpg

Yep, I'm not sure what year they changed, there's like 8 studs and nuts to do the same thing, that's what SOR's gasket is cut for. I had thought about welding in studs but the whole inside retainer is different.

I was wondering the same thing! I have never looked that closely at the vents on my 25 w/s frames. I suppose I could measure them, but I think it's safe to take Jim's word for it.;)

I have one extra of those 25 vents if somebody needs one. I bought it in the mistaken belief that it was one of the later, bolt together ones.:doh:

Mark

I bought it in the mistaken belief that it was one of the later, bolt together ones.:doh:

:lol: I bought this one thinking the same darn thing. :lol: All the dimensions are the same, just the center of the gasket is cut out for the early vent style. ;)

So Jim,

Are you actually drilling out the spot weld on this instead of trying to pry/pick the gasket out? Then you are re-welding it.

Yes. Drilled the spotwelds with a spot weld cutter and tack welded it back together. I had done one previously and by the time I got it all out I had put some serious dimpes in the front face from working it so hard. Mine was rusty and hard as a rock.

Has anyone found a good source for this gasket? I’m getting to the point I need to do this on the 1958 and I had no idea it was welded together until I pulled it out. Any tips are appreciated.

Has anyone found a good source for this gasket? I’m getting to the point I need to do this on the 1958 and I had no idea it was welded together until I pulled it out. Any tips are appreciated.

get a spot weld cutter,
I was thinking the early ones were welded, the later ones were bolted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom