Windshield hooks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have trouble with CCOT stainless windshield hooks? I purchased some, put them on and they are extremely loose. I mean you can remove them from the windshield pads without extending them. I called and talked to Manny, who passed me off to one of their technical guys who said that they had others with the same problem, and had some kind of fix for it and was going to e-mail it to me. I never got the e-mail, and I am wondering if anyone had any ideas. It is a '75, and yes I ordered the right year hooks. Let me know your experiences...

I'm gonna bump this myself b/c surely this has happened to others, I can't be the only one...

Don't know about the hooks but it sounds like typical CCOT parts issues. Some folks come out okay when buying their stuff. I never have. Guess it's hit or miss.

I took some white plastic (sorry can't remember the compound) spacers that I had, cut them to about 1/4" in thickness, then cut a slot in each of the two that I made, then popped them in place under the mount. The bore size was a bit small, so I just opened up the holes a bit. They worked like a charm. The shafts were definitely made too long.
hook.jpg

I'm gonna bump this myself b/c surely this has happened to others, I can't be the only one...

I purchased a couple from CCOT myself and had the same problem. Mine were not terribly loose but they sure didn't fit like they should have. They have been a source of "rattles" since I installed them, but they just join the other "rattles" I have on my 40.

I took some white plastic (sorry can't remember the compound) spacers that I had, cut them to about 1/4" in thickness, then cut a slot in each of the two that I made, then popped them in place under the mount. The bore size was a bit small, so I just opened up the holes a bit. They worked like a charm. The shafts were definitely made too long.

Great idea Blue77. That is going to be the project for this rainy Monday. Thanks for the idea.

best bet would be to buy from the for sell section

but yes there always seem to be some sort of fitment issues with aftermarket peices

I bought a set last year, they are a little loose when not attached, but seem to have plenty of tension when holding the windshield. Did you also buy the rest and pad? I replaced all three at once, their rest may be a bit taller????

That worked like a charm. I got some from Lowe's, just nylon spacers 1/2 x .257 x 1/4 H#880436 is the hillman number. Maybe this should be in FAQ...

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just repaint and lube my originals.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just repaint and lube my originals.

I thought of doing that, but when I had 'em blasted the dang zinc coating was ugly, and I didn't wanna go back to the color on the hooks as it was harder to stretch them to get color on them. Plus the rust up in the barrel of the hook bothered me in case it started leaching on my new paint...

Mine sucked as well and had the same issues Jay.

Glad to hear someone has a solution!

Mine sucked as well and had the same issues Jay.

Glad to hear someone has a solution!

Man, thank Blue77FJ40, he was a lifesaver on this, I was getting nowhere with CCOT, and had considered ordering another set from $OR, but he gave me the idea, and I ran with it. Works like a charm too! Glad there are folks on here with experience in these things that can help, even on the small things!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom