Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this has been asked plenty but is there anything that can done about the slow sometimes stopping windows ? Any aftermarket motors available that sort the problem out ?

its probably the rubber "runs" or channels, there are a couple threads about replacing these and I have done my drivers front window channel and it cured the slow or needing help up when cold problem, bout 85$ from my dealer, might be cheaper if you search. I just picked up the other three window channels to complete the job because rears are slow and so is passenger side this year.

Depending on what is wrong, could be the switch contacts, or motor dieing, or runs hard/dirty, or ..... Cleaning the runs and spraying them with silicone dry slide can make an improvement.

Driver's side control panel (window switches), you can easily remove that and get to the switch contacts that Tools R Us mentions above. There's at least eight little silver rockers and corresponding contacts that are what send amps over to the individual window motors themselves. These tend to "arc" quite a bit and there's guaranteed to be a bunch of carbon buildup at those contact points which prevents full current from flowing - contributing to the lethargic movement of the window itself.

Very easy to clean - I used Deoxit (can laying around from an old electronics project). I did this and VOILA, windows are 2X faster than what they used to be and no issues since (been 3 months). Lots of little parts that will want to fall out so do this over a countertop, not in your messy garage (take your time).

IF you do this project, BE SURE TO LEAVE the Window Lock plunger switch alone - just leave it in the control panel itself, do NOT remove it. If you do, there's a tiny little spring that will very easily dislodge from that plunger stem once there's nothing keeping it in place. You'll be lucky to find it if it does pop out and it's a PITA to figure out how to get it seated correctly again (it's TINY and difficult to manipulate with big man paws). If you follow this advice, pat yourself on the back and know you avoided a piss of a time. If you don't, well - I tried....

I just ordered runs for the rear. The humidy and rain had me helping them up with my hand this week.

Very easy to clean - I used Deoxit (can laying around from an old electronics project). I did this and VOILA, windows are 2X faster than what they used to be and no issues since (been 3 months). Lots of little parts that will want to fall out so do this over a countertop, not in your messy garage (take your time).

Really interested in attempting the deox service. How long did this take? Did you disassemble the motor too?

Thanks!

Really interested in attempting the deox service. How long did this take? Did you disassemble the motor too?

Thanks!

Sorry, haven't been surfing Mud much lately. Once that assembly is in your hands, you just spray and let dry (make sure you let it dry, it's actually volatilizing not really drying) so you don't unintentionally short anything out. Waiting takes longer than the actual work itself.

A BUNCH of tiny parts in there, please do take note of that. Those damn things are easy to lose!!!

I have always wanted to replace mine with manual cranks but haven't seen it done and don't want to be the guinea pig

Probably not what you are looking for, but when mine start to struggle I press the gas pedal and they go right up :confused:. Something to do with the alt/battery I suppose. Going to redo the runs eventually.

I have cleaned lubed and greased every switch, gear and whatever but havent yet replaced the window runners. Seems they are hard as a rock and need to be replaced...darn!!

I clean my contacts .. no really help, replace all my runs and help .. not a lot but decent. Last step will me motors ..

Anyone have part numbers for the runs for 94 fj80? I also have seen the new motors from Napa...New about $65 each and remanufactured at almost double the price...Any opinions?

Anyone have part numbers for the runs for 94 fj80? I also have seen the new motors from Napa...New about $65 each and remanufactured at almost double the price...Any opinions?
I replaced the runs and belt moldings and cleaned and lubed the regulators on my 93 recently. The windows travel up an down much better in this cooler damp winter weather. Before, mine would work ok during summer but not so good in winter and probably not if the glass was wet. The motors were still powerful and regulators in unbelievably good condition compared to other old cars I have dealt with.

A few members have reported positive results after installing Dorman motor/regulator units. All of my windows do a full cycle in 10 seconds or just under. I haven't seen a better time posted with new aftermarket hardware.

I replaced the runs and belt moldings and cleaned and lubed the regulators on my 93 recently. The windows travel up an down much better in this cooler damp winter weather. Before, mine would work ok during summer but not so good in winter and probably not if the glass was wet. The motors were still powerful and regulators in unbelievably good condition compared to other old cars I have dealt with.

A few members have reported positive results after installing Dorman motor/regulator units. All of my windows do a full cycle in 10 seconds or just under. I haven't seen a better time posted with new aftermarket hardware.
Do you recall where you got the mouldings and runs and/or have part numbers? My local T dealer is very challenged.

@ranma21 usually has these parts. Also, McGeorge Toyota online parts has 30%-34% off oem parts and I am pretty sure all the parts you need are in there part diagrams.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom