Windows Fogging Up... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 93 FZJ80 and I just repaired the Climate Control Controller. Originally, the temp slider wasn't working (cold solder joints). Got that running and noticed the DEF function wasn't working. I manually moved the louvers by grounding the pin on the servo itself, so I knew it was the Climate Controller again. Found a cut trace between the switch and the blue connector on the back. Jumpered that, now it's good.

Sooooo, everything is working as it should now. However, the side windows fog up like a mofo in this cold weather. I have the defrost blasting. I'm getting good airflow from the dash and side vents. What gives?

Also the rear heater is removed.

When defrost is selected the AC turns on and the fresh air inlet opens. One of those is not functioning if your defrost is not working as it should. If just the side windows are not clearing up, are the vents pushing air across them?

Is Air Conditioner compressor cycling? Sight glass show coolant?

Select Outside Air vs Rec Air, button should be the left side of switch, you want fresh air and not clammy damp air from inside of cabin.

Most all modern manufacturers set the climate control to activate the AC when on defrost and other settings. But this wasn't widely in use until the late 90's some manufacturers started using it as early as the late late 70's but not for the same purposes. They did it because the compressor seals would dry up or harden from disuse throughout the year and then fail when it was needed. Neither My 93 or my friends 93 have AC kick on unless we turn it on and we both have fully functioning AC. Without looking at the FSM climate control section for a 93 I couldn't tell you whether it was meant to come on, just that ours are both fully operational to the best of our knowledge and don't come on. That being said, the reason your Windows fog up so badly is more to do with the moisture you drag into your vehicle than the cold weather. Snow or rain water on you and your shoes add moisture to the air which causes the fogged windows. Also, wet carpet from a leaking window seal or water trapped in the trunk of your car (for fogged up car windows) or in the rear quarter panel of your 80 cause this also. Maybe put a couple of the big boat desiccants you buy at Walmart under the seats to help combat internal moisture, and the quickest way to remove humidity in the cab is to run the AC. But excessive cab moisture is still going to defeat the AC to a certain extent. The 80 cabs are just too big and air circulation ends at the dash for AC and the second row for heat.
Recap: find source of moisture
Use dessicants to remove excess moisture
Run AC to draw out humidity in cab.
I hope you find this useful.

You might try this;

He is British, and they do know a thing or two about fog. It's basically a dessicant type air dryer made with a sock and some kitty litter. I'm going to try it.

Hey guys thanks for the help! When you guys said make sure it was fresh air coming in, it got me thinking... With all the problems I had with the controller, maybe it was another bad trace. Sure enough...the trace from the A19 & A18 (white connector) were broken between switch and the white connector. I soldered in a jumper and sure as s*** the servo is moving now.

I "assumed" it was working because the switch lights were working. Bad assumption...

Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome!

Get the teenagers out of the truck........

That kitty litter trick is the same as buying boat desiccants only difference is the container. Either way, if the problem persists give either a try...or you can buy bulk large dessicant packets just larger versions of what find in shoe boxes and jerky packages lol.

fog would likely point to water leaking in from windshield corner ( wet passenger floor) or possibly sunroof drains (damp floors) or the infamous rear cargo sliders ( drains get plugged and water drips behind cargo panels-unseen water)

id look for those first and fix it at the source and then also do the kitty litter trick which works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom