Window won't roll-up when weather is cold or wet. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1993 cruiser and for several years the driver window will slowly go down but not come back up in the winter (PNW) if it's really cold or rainy It will slowly start and then stall. It is still drawing power. I have to pull it up and
lower it a little and raise it up. When it stalls, there is no noise. In dry warm weather it works fine except if we have an exceptionl heavy rain. Any Thoughts?

Try a search in the 80 forum for these terms: Slow+Window(s)+Cold

Mutliple possible causes:

Old glass runs (hardened rubber)
Worn/defective window switch
Bad Grounds
Weak window lift motor (from age)

Very common issue. I replaced the window rubber, and, in my case, that fixed it.

Just finished the window runs on mine and it fixed this issue. They were hard like plastic instead of the soft rubber they are made of.

Have a 1993 cruiser and for several years the driver window will slowly go down but not come back up in the winter (PNW) if it's really cold or rainy It will slowly start and then stall. It is still drawing power. I have to pull it up and
lower it a little and raise it up. When it stalls, there is no noise. In dry warm weather it works fine except if we have an exceptionl heavy rain. Any Thoughts?
My '97 had the same problem for the driver's window. I replaced the motor and regulator and it now works reliably, but slowly. Several windows were slow, so I replace all the regulators or maybe just the motor. I also replaced the master switch and the rubber runner for the right rear. They all still work but are slow winter and summer. I looked to replace the relay, but there doesn't seem to be one for the 97. I cannot find one on the wiring diagram or online. So slow is what I will have I guess.

Toyota

in our 80, the driver window refused to go up again after showing my National Parks pass upon entering Yellowstone in June of 2019 when it was snowing heavily :bang: - I was able to pull up the glass, tape it to the door and drive another 1000 miles back to AZ :hillbilly:

turns out that the glass had decided to jump out of the channel it sits in, so the lifting mechanism had nothing to lift :doh:

while taking the glass out and repairing the lifting mechanism, I also replaced all the rubber/weatherstripping with OEM

Last edited:
I’m facing the same issue. Was that a lengthy job? Thinking about tackling it this weekend if I can get parts. Where did you get the rubber from?
I don't recall it as being a long, unpleasant project (but then again, I enjoy root canals).
Try Steele Rubber Products. They always advertise in Hemmings.

Toyota sells the rubber window tracks.

If your windows work but are slow this is the first thing you should do. As mentioned the rubber hardens to a plastic like hardness. They can be replaced without disassembling anything in the door by just lowering the window, pulling out the old rubber, and installing the new rubber by sliding it down the door window frame. I use WD-40 liberally as a lubricant inside and outside the rubber. I've had success with this on several rigs, and also had failures where I had to take the door panel off and reach up and pull them down in the tracks because I couldn't push them from above.

If the window is not working at all, listen for the motor when you push the switch. If the motor is working but the window is not moving, the window track may have slid on the glass and the arm fallen out, which can easily be fixed. If you don't hear the motor, it could be the switch or the motor itself. Basic electrical diagnosis will help you solve that.

I’m facing the same issue. Was that a lengthy job? Thinking about tackling it this weekend if I can get parts. Where did you get the rubber from?

I did mine and it fixed all my window issues which I was convinced it wasn't the cause of, it was.

You don't have to take the windows out to do it, once you get it in as deep as you can you can reach in through the port holes and pull it down the rest of the way with a pair of pliers. Pretty simple job with that trick...

I also used some soap. Unfortunately for me after replacing all of the runners my windows are still slow. I'll probably just live with it, not really wanting to spend $800-ish on motors.

For me the rear windows were the hardest to replace. I did take the door cards off on both though. I bought my window runs and belt trim off a seller on ebay.

Toyota, if you don't mind paying full price, or one of the discount sellers like PartSouq. You need a bucket of soapy water, an extra pair of hands and 15 minutes per window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom