Winch Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to be buying a winch for my rig within the next few months. I really don't know much about them. I like the idea of mounting to receiver hitch (can winch from front or rear). I could also use it with my other pickup.
I know there are many companies to choose from, Warn is local.
Although price is always an issue. I don't want to buy this and regret not having bought a different one down the road.
What size should I get, any specific options that are a necessity, etc.

I bought the Warn multimount 8000# about 10 years ago. I have been very happy with it, it has done everything I've asked of it. But the newer stuff with the same pulling power has faster line speeds from what I've seen I don't remember which models.

As far a toughness goes Warn 8274 can't be beat as far as electrics go.

These are just my opinions hope they will help you decide.

If you want to go hydraulic get a mile marker. Great winches and cost is lower than any warn or ramsey you can find. Size, I think is just a matter of opinion or what you can get a hold of. 8000# is plenty but I've seen 9000# go for less at times.

What kind of rig are you shopping for, and what's it weigh? What kind of driving do you do? Are there others in your group with winches? What's your budget? Is it important to you that you be able to use the winch when the vehicle isn't running? I run warn 8274's on three of my rigs, and toyota pto on the 4th. I'm not a big believer in the hyraulic, but that's me. Once you go to an industrial grade pump and a big reservoir, most of the things I dislike about them go away. It's really a pretty personal choice, and the electric products out there now are much better than they used to be-but find a product that's been around longer thatn the 8274...Alan in tornadoalley

Do you like the toyota PTO? I was thinking about buying a used one, there was one for sale on ebay a while back, went for less than half of a 8274. I like the idea of a 130 hp motor instead of a 3 hp motor. Other than of course not being able to use it when there is no engine power. But how long is any electrical winch going to run on battery alone unless you have dual deep cells anyway?

I like the Superwinch X9/S9000... slower then the latest greatest, but they get the job done and are easy on the wallet. The Husky 10 is probably one of the few electrics you could compare to an 8274 in terms of long lasting... again, slower.

Hydraulics and PTO's are great if you are the one who drags everyone else around....however, remember you MUST be running for them to work. Stall out on a steep hill where you can't start and they are useless.

I'm a huge fan of the 8274 Warns, and really any Warn.

As much as a few people like multi-mounts, I've had once in over 12 years of winch ownership where I need to winch in reverse.

I ran a ramsey 6000 pounder worm drive on my 40 for years and it was always up for the job. I now have a superwinch 9000 pounder on my 60 that I bought in 1994 and yes it may pull slow but it sure does pull and it has remained trouble free.
Devo

The one time you need to winch in reverse you can work around with a cable extension and a snatch block...or a buddy with another winch:) The toyota pto's pull great, don't ever replace the shear pin with anything other than a toyota prelacement part-the internal gears can and will shred themselves. Most bearings and seals/gaskets are still available, and you get the "wow" factor having one on the front of your rig, and yet another in cab shifter to fool with.

Then the next PTO winch question-Will it work with a sm420 to 3spd transfer? I know it will work with a 4spd to spd transfer with an extended driveshaft. Is that's all thats needed for it to work with a sm420-3spd transfer? Right now it would be a bolt on affair for me, but I am planning on a sm420 soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can't run the toyota PTO with an SM420/465 swap..looked into it. BUT you could get a PTO for the SM420 and run that PTO box and a Toyota Head unit...toyota head units are pretty darn expensive to find one in really good shape..i have seen just the head units go for over 400.00 on EBAY. You could also run any PTO winch as long as the driveshaft input was on the drivers side of the rig. If i had to go with an electric i would go with the 8274 but for now i am having fun with my PTO.(i just finished welding a new foot on and machined it down...going to drill and tap the holes tomorrow night when Dad brings home the new snap on tap and die set :D) Then i just need to order 1 seal and it goes back together :D and onto the rig with a new Front bumper.

Cruzer

I'll throw in another kudos for the Superwinch X9. I have one mounted on the front of my 4Runner and will probably get one for my 40 when it is running again. They aren't the fastest, but it has gotten me out when I needed it.

Sport

Yeah, one more vote on the Supersuckwinch X9. I got one on the rear bumper of my 80 and it's decent. The good thing is the stall is around 11,800 or 11,900. I run a Warn M12k on the front though for serious strenous pulls.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can't run the toyota PTO with an SM420/465 swap..looked into it. BUT you could get a PTO for the SM420 and run that PTO box and a Toyota Head unit...toyota head units are pretty darn expensive to find one in really good shape..i have seen just the head units go for over 400.00 on EBAY. You could also run any PTO winch as long as the driveshaft input was on the drivers side of the rig. If i had to go with an electric i would go with the 8274 but for now i am having fun with my PTO.(i just finished welding a new foot on and machined it down...going to drill and tap the holes tomorrow night when Dad brings home the new snap on tap and die set :D) Then i just need to order 1 seal and it goes back together :D and onto the rig with a new Front bumper.

Cruzer

On the contrary my friend the Advanced Adaptors 4.625" adaptor to the sm420 of sm465 allows use of the PTO winch if it's on the driver side, it says right in my AA catalogue :D

Yep GreenWeeny78 beat me to it, you can run a factory PTO box on a SM420/465 if you have the AA kit because it has a long 10 spline spud shaft. I had one on my old rig. You can't however use a rear mounted PTO drive even with the AA kit.

If you use a plate adapter for the SM420/465 then your only option is a PTO unit for the side of the transmission.

I really liked my PTO winch. They only situation that you can't use it is when there is no engine power. Although the Factory Winch has a key output on the front that someone stubborn enough could probably mount an electric winch motor to it.

You can use it with power to the wheels also, you just have to let the winch catch up when you drive faster than the line speed. Its not independent like an electric, but once you get used to it your fine.

I would run one again, if weight and driveline space were not a concern on the new rig. I would run one with a electric rear winch as backup.

Ok so I'm set on a PTO winch-just too damn cool and functional. Now where to find one? Shouldn't be too hard to find one that will bolt on, I have the 3 spd. I guess I will just lengthen the driveshaft later when i install the sm420. Any ideas on where to find a pto winch? there was one on Ebay awhile back that went for something around $400. The chances of there being one in my area are next to nothing, seeing as there are not very many other 40's, and 45's in my area. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Try James at 4x4 Connection...he told me he had 4-6 laying around? complete...anyway i didn't buy one from him becuase i found what i thought was a good deal somewere else but i ended up having to fix the foot.

The other place to ask is on the LCML those guys come out of the wood work with stuff when you ask them if they have it.

Yes the AA adapter you can run a PTO winch..BUT for adding 6inches to the drive line go with a marlin crawler box...thats what i would like to do!!!...all depends on funds but i am deffinitly thinking about it for next winter when i do my SOA.
I only want to buy drive shafts once...

Cruzer

The AA toybox allows use of the PTO once again :D You have to get the 10 spline pto gear i believe from AA but that's about it. Check out the website they got all that info.

Travis

I can't give any tips on finding one, but here are things to look for:

Make sure that the mounting feet on the worm gear case are not cracked, may POs mount them incorrectly and crack the case.

Also be sure to get all the mounting hadware, esp the wedge pieces for under the angle iron, this will maintain proper mouting with the frame (40 series)

If possible make sure the factory lever assembly is intact, as the parts are near impossible to find. I never could locate all the lever parts, and had to fab my own.

A factory driveshaft will make life much easier.

Good luck with the search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom