Winch install in stock 200 series bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the input. Just ordered Trail Tailor winch mount, tow points, suspension protection, and a Come Up winch with synthetic line and wireless remote. Rack arrives Monday. Just need Slee sliders and my CB and I’m ready for trail season!

I ordered one directly from ASFIR. Exchange rate was favorable and it was less then $500 including shipping. This is the same hidden winch mount Carl from JT's mounted on his white 200 series.
Local shop mounted it for me, they did not indicate there were any problems with the fit, and they simply cut the bumper cover to fit over the hawse fairlead (synthetic line on my winch) so that the cover looks stock. You will have to decide how to reach the clutch lever, and I purchased a Warn winch with a wireless clutch operated remotely so that I did not need to provide other access. Carl simply cut his lower grill slightly to reach the clutch lever.

View attachment 1908878
That is sweet! How much did install cost?

I don't remember anymore. I bought a cable extension kit from Warn to remove mount the winch control module away from the winch, and Forge Specialties, who sadly are no longer in business, spent a day doing the install, cutting the bumper cover, fabricating a couple of brackets for the control module, and putting it back together.

I am very interested in a winch too but I have a couple questions. I notice the hidden winch system appears to attach to the crash bar.
#1 Question - Do these hidden winch systems attach to the crash bar?
#2 Question - If it does indeed attach to the crash bar, will that cause issues when winching?
#3 Question - That crash bar looks a lot like the crash bar on a Tundra. Does anyone think the Warn Semi-Hdden Winch Mounting Kit for the tundra could fit the LC or LX? (i know cutting of the plastic would be involved)

I am very interested in a winch too but I have a couple questions. I notice the hidden winch system appears to attach to the crash bar.
#1 Question - Do these hidden winch systems attach to the crash bar?
#2 Question - If it does indeed attach to the crash bar, will that cause issues when winching?
#3 Question - That crash bar looks a lot like the crash bar on a Tundra. Does anyone think the Warn Semi-Hdden Winch Mounting Kit for the tundra could fit the LC or LX? (i know cutting of the plastic would be involved)

#1: The Trail Trailer one replaces the crash bar. Hopefully these pics help, crash bar in one, hidden winch in the other.

20200312_153510.jpg

20200313_195233.jpg

#3: Without taking measurements, is say you've got s good shot at it working, the front of the frame appears to be the same as my 2nd gen Tundra that I built a winch bumper for, so I'm fairly familiar with that section of frame.

Thanks for the pictures. Yes- I see now that it does indeed replace the crash bar. I had previously seen a PDF for Warn's semi-hidden kit and it looked like the assembly was mounted to the crash bar. It didn't seem safe. Obviously I had misinterpreted the instructions. I can't wait to see what TT can do for the LX.

Thanks for the pictures. Yes- I see now that it does indeed replace the crash bar. I had previously seen a PDF for Warn's semi-hidden kit and it looked like the assembly was mounted to the crash bar. It didn't seem safe. Obviously I had misinterpreted the instructions. I can't wait to see what TT can do for the LX.

The Warn product may very well be different than the Trail Trailer, so it's quite possible that it mounts around the crash bar. I could see warn not wanting to remove the crash bar due to insurance reasons.

#1: The Trail Trailer one replaces the crash bar. Hopefully these pics help, crash bar in one, hidden winch in the other.

View attachment 2315022

View attachment 2315023

#3: Without taking measurements, is say you've got s good shot at it working, the front of the frame appears to be the same as my 2nd gen Tundra that I built a winch bumper for, so I'm fairly familiar with that section of frame.

Any pictures of the finish product? Curious where the failead lines up with the stock bumper once its all installed. Cheers!

I’m now just over a year since I installed the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount, that I ordered powder coated, and I have to say I’m very disappointed in how it’s holding up.
This winter it will have to come out, and get done over.

BC27515E-A420-446D-90BC-5DCB8728C7EF.jpeg

4131AE7D-BB62-459E-BE20-5B9BC7CD4A61.jpeg

A3F127A4-8BD2-4EA7-8DF7-26E8173B52CE.jpeg

8DFC8099-27E8-4B53-93D8-07BB3B4CBF8C.jpeg

@Drsus this is Its current state of "finished" the fairlead is sandwiching the bumper cover with the winch mount. I still need to finish cut the bumper cover so that it isn't slightly warped, I also haven't yet gotten hardware to bolt the bumper covers lower tabs to the winch mount.
20200604_195332.jpg
20200614_151932.jpg

@JetSurfer interesting to see that yours has reinforcing ribs under where the winch mounts as mine does not.
20200624_072535.jpg

@Drsus this is Its current state of "finished" the fairlead is sandwiching the bumper cover with the winch mount. I still need to finish cut the bumper cover so that it isn't slightly warped, I also haven't yet gotten hardware to bolt the bumper covers lower tabs to the winch mount.
View attachment 2349792View attachment 2349793

@JetSurfer interesting to see that yours has reinforcing ribs under where the winch mounts as mine does not.
View attachment 2349794
Thank you!
I wanted to see where the fairlead lined up with bumper. seen some pictures of it with funky placement , this is super clean.

I’m now just over a year since I installed the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount, that I ordered powder coated, and I have to say I’m very disappointed in how it’s holding up.

I believe Jason subs out the powder coating they didn't do a good job on yours that shouldn't have happened but his winch mount is spot on and well done.

Thank you!
I wanted to see where the fairlead lined up with bumper. seen some pictures of it with funky placement , this is super clean.

Appreciate the kind words, for reference that's the 1" fairlead from factor 55.

I ordered one directly from ASFIR. Exchange rate was favorable and it was less then $500 including shipping. This is the same hidden winch mount Carl from JT's mounted on his white 200 series.
Local shop mounted it for me, they did not indicate there were any problems with the fit, and they simply cut the bumper cover to fit over the hawse fairlead (synthetic line on my winch) so that the cover looks stock. You will have to decide how to reach the clutch lever, and I purchased a Warn winch with a wireless clutch operated remotely so that I did not need to provide other access. Carl simply cut his lower grill slightly to reach the clutch lever.

View attachment 1908878
great looking truck! hey i am curious in the photo above, did you treat the stock fog lens with an amber coating? or replace with another? many thanks! DS

View attachment 2347373

View attachment 2347374

View attachment 2347375

View attachment 2347376
That is totally unacceptable. Have you contacted Trail Tailor? You should have a new one drop shipped to your door for free if that's what it looks like after one year. That's total BS. Please update the board/thread regarding how TT handles this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom