Will 3.5* Caster Plates with 2.5" OME Lift (850/860) be a problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered a hybrid 2.5" OME lift kit (850 - heavy front/860 - medium rear) and a caster correction kit from MetalTech4x4. I ended up receiving their caster correction plates, which is designed for a 4" lift. I was expecting the caster correction bushings that usually come with the 2.5" OME suspension kits. Do you guys know what issues I may run across if I over-correct caster? MetalTech told me that there shouldn't be a problem. I plan to install the coils and shocks, then get the alignment checked, then decide whether to install the kit or not.

The only thing I have installed up front is a 115lb AOE bumper. I have no immediate plans for a winch or secondary battery.

Ive got mediums up front with a one inch spacer with the ironman plates and have no problems. I do plan to go to j springs soon so thats why i put the plates on.

i have recently just put the metal tech caster plates on my 93 with the 2.5 OME lift just like you are doing. I only notice some times, particularly about 60mph+ i get a slight drivetrain vibration. but its only if i hit the right frequency of things shaking around. no other mods to the suspension other than the OME and plates. no bumpers or anything else. Its nowhere near enough to bother me considring it was kind of like driving a car with a mind of its own when you hit the ruts on the interstate. I guess i need more lift.....:D

i have recently just put the metal tech caster plates on my 93 with the 2.5 OME lift just like you are doing. I only notice some times, particularly about 60mph+ i get a slight drivetrain vibration. but its only if i hit the right frequency of things shaking around. no other mods to the suspension other than the OME and plates. no bumpers or anything else. Its nowhere near enough to bother me considring it was kind of like driving a car with a mind of its own when you hit the ruts on the interstate. I guess i need more lift.....:D

So, before the lift and caster adjustment, no vibration? We do quite a bit of freeway driving at 70mph. After doing some research in these forums, it sounds like the cause of vibration is uncertain, even for those installing nearly identical setups. Did you check alignment before and/or after the install?

Not exactly answering your question, but somewhat on topic, I installed the TJM 50mm kit. Should have been 2" of lift , but I got 3" front and rear due to complete lack of any bumpers, etc. No vibrations before the lift, but a slight vibration at 65 mph or so after. I did not install the caster correction bushings that came with the kit, but did install the 2" drop MAF brackets. While the caster change was noticeable in the steering, the vibration is still there.

I have checked out everything I can and the only thing that seems amiss is a very, very slight amount of play in the front driveshaft at the u-joint (transfer case end). It might be my imagination, but on the list of things to do is replace that u-joint and see if it helps. Either that or add a few thousand $$ of bumpers and sliders. :D

So, before the lift and caster adjustment, no vibration? We do quite a bit of freeway driving at 70mph. After doing some research in these forums, it sounds like the cause of vibration is uncertain, even for those installing nearly identical setups. Did you check alignment before and/or after the install?

No alignment before or after simply because I already new my issue before hand and I was on a time crunch. Unfornately the shop I currently work at is a Acura dealer and our roof over our alignment rack is not very high and I dont feel like removing my roof box with gear to align it. I did the plates on a sunday, test drove it 50 miles drove about 70mph + over crappy I5 rutted interestate roads and felt the immediate results of cured caster. Didnt really notice the vibration until I went the opposite way from home where the interestate has been repaved. and every now and then it would get a slight vibration particularly above 60-65mph. it didnt get any worse when accelrating or raising speed. but if I let off the throttle (not braking) it would go away. touch the gas and speed up again and wouldnt be there. Well come wednesday we started our road trip to Lake tahoe from Vancouver, WA. the first 2-300 miles both me and my wife noticed it but after about 500 miles we didnt really notice it anymore. I havent cared since then honestly to even see if it still happens maybe I got used to it or maybe its gone lol. Ill try and take note tomorrow on my way to work. Like I said honestly I its not enough for me to care when compared to the crappy driving experience from lack of caster correction. Eventually I will drag it to my buddys at my old toyota shop and have it on there alignment rack that is newer, drive on and no low hanging ceilings but best of all free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom