Why no overhead grab-handle on driver's side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the first little things I did to my 80 when I got it was install a grab handle over the driver's door, same as the one over the pass. doors.

My question is why the heck wasn't there one put there in the first place? Legal regulations? Was there one in ROW models?

Bored minds want to know...

So you don't clobber your head on it getting in and out? :flipoff2: The driver has the steering wheel to grab? I don't know? The nuts are there if you want to add one.

I bet you drive with one hand more than you drive wih two...

And why don't the passengers clobber THEIR heads?

Sorry for this thread...I'm stuck in bed with a laptop. Bad combo...

That bugged me too, so I bought one and installed it. I don't bonk my head on it, and comes in handy cleaning my windshield or drying it after a wash. I think it was the same as the passenger side.

I wondered about that, too. My old Isuzu Trooper had a ton of "OH Sh*t" handles and it included one for the driver side entry. I might retrofit one like ogsuv.

It is redundant for the driver and you could knock yer mellon on it if you did not have a hold of it. The captive nuts are there because most Cruisers are right-hand-drive. The RHD versions do not have a handle on the RH side.

Oh, I added one too...........:flipoff2:

Originally posted by Cdan
Oh, I added one too

Hey Dan,
How much is that handle? I would like to add one too.

I used the handle from third row to hang the jump seat when they are not in use.

It's not so much for the OH SH!T factor as a matter of convinience. It's nice to hang an arm from or grab on to when standing on the door-sill reaching the roof...or hoist the mass of my a$$ up into the driver's seat.

I gotta say, I've had it in there for 80k miles and I've NEVER hit my head on it. And besides, if one was prone to hit ones head in the drivers side, why put one in the pass. side? Are they allowed to hit their heads just cause they're not driving?

tiorio said:
And besides, if one was prone to hit ones head in the drivers side, why put one in the pass. side? Are they allowed to hit their heads just cause they're not driving?

Your upper body is stabilized a bit better by the over-head handle as opposed to the steering wheel. The upper body of a passenger that is holding the handle is a bit less wobbly than the guy with his hands on the wheel.

At least that is how I understand it....:D

perhaps if concrete jungle had one of these DS grab handles on his rig, he wouldn't have had the armrest mishap???

That was one of my first "mods." I hold onto it a lot when driving. When I drive my wifes Tahoe, I am constantly reaching up for it.

As a funny tangent: I mounted a set of modified Maglite clips to the captured nuts on the DS to hold my three D cell Maglite. It looks sweet and my Maglite is always conviently located. But it has darn near knocked me out a couple of time when playing in the rocks. I keep meaning to move it but there always seems to be a bigger and better project to work on. Perhaps I can take that on Monday.

cool idea. might do that on the passenger side :)

Hello Jack-

Bought a maglite mount some time ago but never have been able to decide on a mounting place. Besides where I'll hit my head on it, any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom