Why no diesel swaps in 100 series LC’s?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha, bull sh*t. It’s normal to get 1m km plus from them here. Something almost unheard of in the V8s. And before you bring up the high mile US ones remember australian conditions (dust, heat, poor roads and long distances) are much harsher than US - nothing lasts as long. On paper FTE is mediocre - in practice it well truly lives up to its reputation of the best 4x4 engine ever made. If the V8 is so good, why aren’t there multiple groups and thousands of people putting them in everything from 40s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 105s, patrols, Jeeps, boats and more? Because the V8s aren’t as good. Why are people prepared to pay exorbitant prices for high km engines? Because FTEs are the best.

Because quite frankly no other engine offers the combo of high power potential, extreme reliability and longevity, smoothness, fuel economy, cool running and compact size. FT comes close but the VE pump lets it down as it needs a rebuild about every 300k, it’s common for FTEs to do 600k easy before pump work.

It has absolutely no serious flaws, even running 400rwhp consistently in 40*C+ ambients. So yours had a faulty TPS, not exactly a catastrophic failure - it probably just needed a good contact cleaning. And the V8 throttle pedal is just as likely to fail in just the same way.

The turbo is probably the shortest living component (short of timing belt) it’s true - but if you want any improvement in power it’s sensible to replace this anyway.

compared to the FT - the FTE has upgraded pistons, upgraded rods, improved air and coolant flow through the head, improved exhaust valves, better bracing on the block, higher fuel flow and pressure, higher power (and much higher potential) and better economy.

2UZ are great engines, but to try and claim they’re better than FTEs makes you look ill informed. Same with FTs to a lesser extent.
rebuild every 300k?? thats 186000 miles! WTF are you boys putting in your tanks?

for the record, the FT will always win out for me due to its simplicity, and nothing starts as well as an FT..

rebuild every 300k?? thats 186000 miles! WTF are you boys putting in your tanks?

for the record, the FT will always win out for me due to its simplicity, and nothing starts as well as an FT..
I don’t know - it’s commonly accepted that’s their peak life span. Our fuel is lower grade than Europe, I suspect the US too. In general conditions are significantly harsher here, nothing lasts as long. My point wasn’t so much about absolute figures, more that on average the FTE pump lasts a lot longer than the FT pump.

Also, across the board an FTE will always start better than an FT or at the very worst as well as. Assuming equal conditions of course. I do get the FT thing, they’re very attractive, I very almost swapped one into my 105. I ended up going the FTE as I considered overall reliability, power, economy and smoothness would be better. So long as they aren’t molested, Toyota electronics are ultra reliable.

Then there’s all the internal upgrades the FTE got over the FT. The ultimate mechanical engine would be a FT pumped FTE (well true ultimate would be someone putting a P pump on an FTE...)

Last edited:
I don’t know - it’s commonly accepted that’s their peak life span. Our fuel is lower grade than Europe, I suspect the US too. In general conditions are significantly harsher here, nothing lasts as long. My point wasn’t so much about absolute figures, more that on average the FTE pump lasts a lot longer than the FT pump.

Also, across the board an FTE will always start better than an FT or at the very worst as well as. Assuming equal conditions of course. I do get the FT thing, they’re very attractive, I very almost swapped one into my 105. I ended up going the FTE as I considered overall reliability, power, economy and smoothness would be better. So long as they aren’t molested, Toyota electronics are ultra reliable.

Then there’s all the internal upgrades the FTE got over the FT. The ultimate mechanical engine would be a FT pumped FTE (well true ultimate would be someone putting a P pump on an FTE...)
i personally dont know of anyone who has had there FT pump rebuilt, and plenty are on 300k plus miles. im on 308000 myself, and my 80 has worked hard in the 16 yrs ive had it.
im not sure how harsh external environmental conditions can effect a IP. i would of thought extreme cold rather than heat would have more of a detrimental impact.

ime the FTE takes a whole second longer to start than the FT. :)

i personally dont know of anyone who has had there FT pump rebuilt, and plenty are on 300k plus miles. im on 308000 myself, and my 80 has worked hard in the 16 yrs ive had it.
im not sure how harsh external environmental conditions can effect a IP. i would of thought extreme cold rather than heat would have more of a detrimental impact.

ime the FTE takes a whole second longer to start than the FT. :)
Different story here - I’m not sure of the underlying cause, maybe fuel quality, maybe heat causing thinning and reduction of lubricity of the diesel, maybe heat cycles causing excessive condensation in bulk storage tanks?

I’d suggest that FTE had a slight fuel supply restriction/bleed back/air leak. It should start at the touch of the key - not even a second let alone a second longer than an FT. They certainly start better than every common rail diesel I’ve been in

I don’t understand how these engines do 1M, when the turbo, fip and whatever very expensive (more expensive than a complete 2uz engine) parts need replacement before that.

Turbo and fuel pump are ancillaries items, not integral to the engine. No different to an AC compressor or water pump

There's no shortage of high mileage HDFTE with the original turbo and original IP
Same as there is with all the HD/HZ series engines.
HDFTE just happens to be the pick of the bunch for all the reasons wedgetail laid out

This is actually Toyota engineering design specifications for most of Toyota's inline 6 engines. Albeit, super conservative. It was mentioned in an SAE paper about the 1FZ-FE back in 1992. I'll try to dig up the document. I've posted it here before many times.

Turbo and fuel pump are ancillaries items, not integral to the engine. No different to an AC compressor or water pump

There's no shortage of high mileage HDFTE with the original turbo and original IP
Same as there is with all the HD/HZ series engines.
HDFTE just happens to be the pick of the bunch for all the reasons wedgetail laid out
Okay. You’all right and I’m totally wrong. Hope you guys are happy now.

This is actually Toyota engineering design specifications for most of Toyota's inline 6 engines. Albeit, super conservative. It was mentioned in an SAE paper about the 1FZ-FE back in 1992. I'll try to dig up the document. I've posted it here before many times.
wouldnt surprise me. the memory fades, but isnt stated somewhere by toyota to change injector lines when changing the timing belt?

Not really, I’d have preferred it if you’d come up with some numbers to counter my previous point
Yeah, it does. I believe for the FTEs that have EGR.
100s and 79s both got EGR here, but they only advised to do the injector lines every 150k. It’s to do with injection pressures - they’re much higher in the 100, one of the reasons for better power/economy. Very few people ever do though.

Does anyone know what FTEs didn’t get EGR? There’s a factory blank, something must’ve missed out...

Boohoo!

Its hard to dismiss the experience with these engines in Australia.

I read that approximately 30% of all landcruisers are shipped to Australia, and an even higher portion of diesel engined cruisers.
Some markets don't get diesel engines at all.

Used Landcruisers with this engine sell at 30-50% higher prices than V8 versions. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does

Not really, I’d have preferred it if you’d come up with some numbers to counter my previous point

100s and 79s both got EGR here, but they only advised to do the injector lines every 150k. It’s to do with injection pressures - they’re much higher in the 100, one of the reasons for better power/economy. Very few people ever do though.

Does anyone know what FTEs didn’t get EGR? There’s a factory blank, something must’ve missed out...
The non EGR models I’ve seen or heard of have been Middle East or Pakistani models.

Boohoo!

Its hard to dismiss the experience with these engines in Australia.

I read that approximately 30% of all landcruisers are shipped to Australia, and an even higher portion of diesel engined cruisers.
Some markets don't get diesel engines at all.

Used Landcruisers with this engine sell at 30-50% higher prices than V8 versions. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does
Yeah, but any ideas why my bulletproof 1HD-FTE has massive blowby/drinks oil?

"Used Landcruisers with this engine sell at 30-50% higher prices than V8 versions. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does"

Recently on the FTE conversion page, I have seen post-update 100's with FTE's with asking prices of $35-75kAUD. I'd wager that the gasser doesn't command those kinds of dollars but I don't live there like @mudgudgeon @AussieHJCruza and @wedgetail do so I don't know firsthand. Yes, I know, asking price isn't necessarily selling price. The point is to contrast market value between thirsty gasser versus FTE.

You want me to diagnose it on a single line of text, no information?

Ok.
It was babied and never run in properly. Drive it like you stole it until it's better.

Seriously though, there could be a number of reasons why an individual engine has problems.
It doesn't make the other 100's of thousands built be lemons.

Maybe there was an assembly issue. Maybe it got a bad batch of rings or bad batch of valve seals. Maybe it was mistreated in a past life. Maybe it wasn't maintained properly. Maybe it was babied (diesels actually benefit from working hard).

Have you done a leak down test?
Have you installed a catch can that restricts the PCV line?

Has the engine been rebuilt?
Its common for these series engines to burn oil after a rebuild because people wrap them in cotton wool and drive them like the pistons are made of glass. Working them hard for a while can fix them

I see - so you’re basing all your FTE opinions on one engine? That’s incredibly short sighted. There are hundreds of reasons why yours is faulty, most of them not a fault of the engine. Was it a jap import? They spend most of their time idling in traffic, or a life of short journeys. So the bores would probably be at best partially glazed. The list is almost limitless of causes by a previous owner. But it doesn’t change the fact that across the board FTEs have less problems than any other engine

You want me to diagnose it on a single line of text, no information?

Ok.
It was babied and never run in properly. Drive it like you stole it until it's better.

Seriously though, there could be a number of reasons why an individual engine has problems.
It doesn't make the other 100's of thousands built be lemons.

Maybe there was an assembly issue. Maybe it got a bad batch of rings or bad batch of valve seals. Maybe it was mistreated in a past life. Maybe it wasn't maintained properly. Maybe it was babied (diesels actually benefit from working hard).

Have you done a leak down test?
Have you installed a catch can that restricts the PCV line?

Has the engine been rebuilt?
Its common for these series engines to burn oil after a rebuild because people wrap them in cotton wool and drive them like the pistons are made of glass. Working them hard for a while can fix them

T.Hanks! I'll try to drive it harder then! If it dies it dies. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom