Why is there no tire carrier that ties into the factory door hinges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a tire carrier! The bumper swingouts are heavy, expensive and inconvenient. Hitch mount options stick out a long way and reduce departure angle. I hear the door-mount ones are a lot of stress on the thin sheet metal and seem fragile. It sounds like the ideal solution is an external swingout cage that mounts to the factory door mounts. It could even be cleverly designed to open with the door. Why doesn't something like this exist? In the mean time...what's the best option out there?

You're preaching to the choir.

ExOne is really the only option if you want a swing out that swings with the door. JWOR is really the only option that bolts the tire to the door.

However, do consider that the Prado has spares on the rear door on other parts of the world. Plus there's tons of people where there are no reported structural issues with the JWOR (corrosion is a different story). The door can handle the weight.

You're preaching to the choir.

ExOne is really the only option if you want a swing out that swings with the door. JWOR is really the only option that bolts the tire to the door.

However, do consider that the Prado has spares on the rear door on other parts of the world. Plus there's tons of people where there are no reported structural issues with the JWOR (corrosion is a different story). The door can handle the weight.
Do you have any personal experience with the JW? I was about to pull the trigger on that, but I was asking about it on the GXOR facebook group and was a little skeptical after this comment...

I installed a JW offroad tire carrier. It puts a lot of weight on the door so you have to open and close it very carefully or it will rip the whole door right off the truck. As long as you are the one who’s opening and closing the door every time, you’re fine. I just don’t trust anybody else to use the back door and that makes it annoying.

I’m running a 34” (285/75r17). Prado door is designed to carry the weight so I’m sure it has the appropriate hardware. The JW is fine with the door closed but as soon as you open it you’re worried. I don’t let anyone near it. If you go through with it let me know what you think.

Potential issues:
  1. One issue I can see with a spare mounted on the factory hinges is that there's no relief in the seam between the right rear quarter panel and the door when it's close to allow a chunk of metal to attach to the hinge and then stick out through that seam. It would require a little trimming of the door metal where the bracket sticks out at the seam.
  2. Not having looked at it, but there may also be interference when the door is open and the rear panel if there was a bracket sticking out, which would again facilitate more body work, probably on the rear quarter panel.
  3. Aftermarket hinges would be required to be long enough for a second swinging member to be attached. Those hinges would have to be VERY robust and PERFECTLY aligned.

ACC in ATL makes the Becky. Bison makes their carrier. JW makes their carrier. SSO used to make a swing out that was tied to the OEM door and they stopped making it.

The ACC option was the original and best design. We have one on Shannon's with a 37 and beefed up the striker, hinges with Koan, and carry a basic RV leveling jack to hold the door up when open for long periods of time. Her tire weights over 120 lbs and have had no issues.

I think ACC and bison only make tire carriers for the 470, unfortunately
ACC has one on his wife's 460 so they have it. May just be working on production.

We've discussed this at length in this thread:

Long story short, pick and choose your battles. I went JW to not spend $3k on a rear bumper that brings inevitable inconvenience, but would eventually like to go that route down the road if need be. Reality is, there's no perfect option right now, which is a bummer because JW's new style could have been it but isn't. Would love to see someone create a better solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom