GX460 spare tire carrier options - bumper, hitch, swingout, etc? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that my GX is lifted and on 285/70/17s, naturally the spare needs a new home. I'm trying to pin down every possible option for carrying a spare tire that isn't a) in the OEM location (since my 285/70/17 doesn't fit), b) on the roof, or c) in the GX460's cargo area. I would also like to retain the rear window's ability to open, as well as the rear door's ability to swing open.

After hours of research, the options I'm finding are:
  • Already built full replacement bumper -- $$$$ (Ranging from $2000-4000)
  • Weld-it-yourself full replacement bumper (Coastal Off Road) - $1400 + $205 shipping
  • Wilco Hitchgate - $1200
  • RIGd UltraSwing - $1,500
  • JW Offroad - $899
  • Detours of Maine -- ??
  • Home-brew concoction, combining a hitch-mounted swingout (a la Wilco or Saris) and adding a hitch-mounted tire carrier (Curt) to it -- $250-750

Am I missing any options? Clearly over-thinking this already. Retaining the ability to tow is fairly important to this project, which makes the last option hard to justify even if it is the least expensive. Departure angle is also a consideration, but price is the most crucial item in my quest for a spare tire mount as the price of a full replacement bumper makes it a non-option. Curious to hear if there are any other inexpensive ways to go about doing this, or if the JW or Wilco/RIGd are the best bet.

I used to run a Rig'd Megaswing. I chose the Mega because the tire sat a few inches higher (back window was still operable) and is just wide enough to stay within body lines.
I got rid of it because I have a travel trailer I tow at times and I didnt trust its said capabilites of towing. Other than thought it was a great product.

Here's a couple of suggestions for thinking out of the box:
  • Get a quality roof rack or crossbars and mount it on your roof along with some MaxTrax and a side-mounted Jerry can for the expedition look.
  • If you really don't go deep into the weeds/woods or hard core wheeling, then a tire patch kit along with a can of inflation sealant may be all you need. That should at least get you to a tire store for replacement assuming you don't shred your tire. May new cars only come with inflation sealant.
As I said, just thinking outside the box.
I like the idea of designing your own best, especially if you have the tools and time and skill to do it!

Now that my GX is lifted and on 285/70/17s, naturally the spare needs a new home. I'm trying to pin down every possible option for carrying a spare tire that isn't a) in the OEM location (since my 285/70/17 doesn't fit), b) on the roof, or c) in the GX460's cargo area. I would also like to retain the rear window's ability to open, as well as the rear door's ability to swing open.

After hours of research, the options I'm finding are:
  • Already built full replacement bumper -- $$$$ (Ranging from $2000-4000)
  • Weld-it-yourself full replacement bumper (Coastal Off Road) - $1400 + $205 shipping
  • Wilco Hitchgate - $1200
  • RIGd UltraSwing - $1,500
  • JW Offroad - $899
  • Detours of Maine -- ??
  • Home-brew concoction, combining a hitch-mounted swingout (a la Wilco or Saris) and adding a hitch-mounted tire carrier (Curt) to it -- $250-750

Am I missing any options? Clearly over-thinking this already. Retaining the ability to tow is fairly important to this project, which makes the last option hard to justify even if it is the least expensive. Departure angle is also a consideration, but price is the most crucial item in my quest for a spare tire mount as the price of a full replacement bumper makes it a non-option. Curious to hear if there are any other inexpensive ways to go about doing this, or if the JW or Wilco/RIGd are the best bet.
Don't forget to check around locally to you. Sometimes you'll get guys that are totally capable of building something for less than an off-the-shelf product.

Sounds like you'll need a hitch-mounted carrier, then take it off when you tow and put the spare in the cargo area or in the trailer.

The JW has been great for me. The back window still clears. JW is also working on a bolt on swingout for the 470, I'm sure the 460 will be later.
I originally had the Wilco on my 460 and have used the Rigd on a 4runner. I prefer the Rigd over the Wilco.

How do you envision your build? Are you going to do a full build with front and rear steel bumpers? Will you need a place to mount Jerry Cans or MaxTrax? Then go with a swingout bumper.
Do you want to remove the spare for daily driving? Get the Rigd.
Or leave it on and save some weight over the hitch mounted carrier, go with JW.

The only thing I wish I had on my JW, was a Jerry Can/propane tank holder.

Here's a couple of suggestions for thinking out of the box:
  • Get a quality roof rack or crossbars and mount it on your roof along with some MaxTrax and a side-mounted Jerry can for the expedition look.
  • If you really don't go deep into the weeds/woods or hard core wheeling, then a tire patch kit along with a can of inflation sealant may be all you need. That should at least get you to a tire store for replacement assuming you don't shred your tire. May new cars only come with inflation sealant.
As I said, just thinking outside the box.
I like the idea of designing your own best, especially if you have the tools and time and skill to do it!
Sticking the spare on the roof looks the part but it really only works when you go wheeling. It's a PITA to get on/off, your mileage takes a big hit, you notice the weight up there, it takes up good chunk of space, and you'll run into clearance issues with garage doors.
I've been doing this for about a year and have determined a dedicated swingout carrier is the better solution. I'm between the JW door carrier, the Rigd Ultraswing, or Dirtcom Trailswing.

JW: Lowest profile, cheapest, and easy integration with OEM backup camera, but worried about longevity/NVH impact hanging 100lbs off the door. Permanent (unless you get a new hatch)
Rigd: Tons of good reviews and proven. Kind of pricey. Right hand swing only.
Dirtcom: Less real world reviews than Rigd but seems very solid. Almost as much as a full bumper. LH swing seems useful with GX rear hatch.

Check out Dirtcom Trail Swing LH. Made for the GX with our swinging rear door. Just installed mine and love it. Build quality is fantastic, and it is really stout.

Trail Swing
They are making some slick products for being a small operation! I admire their craftsmanship!

LH swing is the way to go if you plan on utilizing the rear door for cooking, etc. I'd personally fashion my own with either a Kuat swing hitch or the like and add a tire carrier via Curt. The swing can then be used on any vehicle and easily changed based on demands.

This really depends on your ability/desire to fab this up yourself though. All of the swings you are looking at will serve you well.

The hitch-mount tire carriers are pretty stupid IMO. They stick out far, look retarded, and there is no way they don't wobble. Plus you need a hitch. Both things kill your departure angle.

Most rear bumpers are absurdly priced. The ebay dual swingout was the best option I could find after backing into a pole. Frankly, the best route is to stick with 265/70 tires and use the stock spare location. No muss, no fuss, better MPGs and more money in your pocket all around.

The hitch-mount tire carriers are pretty stupid IMO. They stick out far, look retarded, and there is no way they don't wobble. Plus you need a hitch. Both things kill your departure angle.

Most rear bumpers are absurdly priced. The ebay dual swingout was the best option I could find after backing into a pole. Frankly, the best route is to stick with 265/70 tires and use the stock spare location. No muss, no fuss, better MPGs and more money in your pocket all around.
Ain’t nobody got time for 265s😂. Most of us use hitch mounted carriers for a few reasons. Some people don’t want to highly modify their GX to where it limits resale. Personally, I’m getting one to hold me over until either Nguyen works makes a bumper for the 460 or someone else makes one I can’t say no to. And as long as you buy a good one they don’t wobble around.

With 33” all terrain tires, the chances that you’ll need a spare on local commute / errand driving is very slim. That’s why I don’t carry a spare for daily driving. I do carry a patch kit and a 12v compressor just in case, but that’s a lot less weight and volume to carry than a full size spare.

I did invest in a Prinsu rack so that I can carry a full size spare on long road trips or off roading. And if off-roading is just a day trip, then I don’t bother throwing it on the roof, if I have enough space in the cargo area.

Yes it is a pain to get it on the roof and tied down, but it’s not that bad. Beats spending over 1k on a hitch solution or adding additional weight with a steel bumper. To each his own. Cheers!

80EA3BDB-7AB8-47B3-92F3-2F34DB1D7290.jpeg

Hey everyone, thank you for the responses! Going to respond to each post individually below with tags so as to not quote block text and clog up the thread.

@Tommy Argh - Thank you for the insight on the RIGd. What didn't you trust about it in regards to towing?

@r2m - Definitely need to carry a fullsize spare for the wheeling I do. Home-brew might be the best bet as a temporary option.​

@crikeymike ike - Man, I wish there was someone local willing to fab something! Incorporating a carrier into the factory door with supports built into the hinge mechanism would be killer.​

@OCGX - Appreciate the JW reassurance. As of now that is the leader for the option I'll go with. A full replacement bumper with a swingout is the ideal long-term proposition but not in the financial cards at the moment. Wondering if there's a way to weld a jerry can and traction board holder onto the JW. Might be the best of both worlds.​

@JR1899 - Dirtcom makes great products but that's quite a bit more expensive than the other hitch-mounted carriers.​

@Banandalorian - Sounds like you have the same final options as me. I'm thinking the JW is best for a low-profile solution, and maybe some extra bracing/reinforcement on the inside of the door and/or hinges to prevent long-term damage.​

@JCliftonB - The Kuat hitch idea is certainly in the cards. Seems like something similar could be done akin to what I was thinking with the Saris.​

@jiggletits - Do you have a link to the eBay swingout? Curious to see how it's priced and what the quality looks like.​

@Prado GX460 - Truck looks great! Roof isn't an option for me unfortunately. Too many low-hanging branches and such on the trails we regularly run.​

Thanks again everyone! Hell of a community we have here.

No current listings. Someone mentioned he is sold out temporarily but the sellers name is ‘platinumgz’ it’s $1300 plus tax, free shipping.

The JW has been great for me. The back window still clears. JW is also working on a bolt on swingout for the 470, I'm sure the 460 will be later.
I originally had the Wilco on my 460 and have used the Rigd on a 4runner. I prefer the Rigd over the Wilco.

How do you envision your build? Are you going to do a full build with front and rear steel bumpers? Will you need a place to mount Jerry Cans or MaxTrax? Then go with a swingout bumper.
Do you want to remove the spare for daily driving? Get the Rigd.
Or leave it on and save some weight over the hitch mounted carrier, go with JW.

The only thing I wish I had on my JW, was a Jerry Can/propane tank holder.
I'm interested in the JW... trying to find out if the window works with a 315/70r17 on there. Website doesn't really say. Do you know?

In my GX470 I removed my back seats and built a wooden platform extending the length of the truck and put my spare tire where the rear seats use to be.

The top portion of the platform is for sleeping and rests on the tire for support, It is secured to the side rails of the platform and divider for the drawer section. I designed it to be the exact height of the tires width.

It's a simple design, not high tech but efficient for my needs. I plan to put a dual hinge to make it a flip top for easy access to the spare from the side doors, my buddies run similar setups in their 80's - works well for all of us - you just need to sacrifice the rear seats, which I know is out of the question for some!

Reactions: r2m
In my GX470 I removed my back seats and built a wooden platform extending the length of the truck and put my spare tire where the rear seats use to be.

The top portion of the platform is for sleeping and rests on the tire for support, It is secured to the side rails of the platform and divider for the drawer section. I designed it to be the exact height of the tires width.

It's a simple design, not high tech but efficient for my needs. I plan to put a dual hinge to make it a flip top for easy access to the spare from the side doors, my buddies run similar setups in their 80's - works well for all of us - you just need to sacrifice the rear seats, which I know is out of the question for some!
I've thought about doing something similar (or getting a Goose Gear platform and using that as a mounting point). My only concern is in crash-worthiness. Needless to say, a rear gate-mounted spare tire isn't exactly going to be perfectly NHTSA-compliant, but it's probably better than a large piece of wood in the trunk in the event of a rear-end collision.

I've thought about doing something similar (or getting a Goose Gear platform and using that as a mounting point). My only concern is in crash-worthiness. Needless to say, a rear gate-mounted spare tire isn't exactly going to be perfectly NHTSA-compliant, but it's probably better than a large piece of wood in the trunk in the event of a rear-end collision.
Goose gear delete is the premium and ideal option for sure.

My setup is def less than ideal in terms of crash worthiness but ultimately I'm not sure how many drawer / sleeping platform systems are actually crash tested, so its hard to say how it would preform compared to other similar but more premium setups. The tire does weigh it down so it doesn't really move at all and the nice thing about having the tire centered inside the truck is the weight is distributed over all 4 shocks not just the rear 2.

You do sacrifice interior storage space but I have the tire flipped upside down and stash things inside the wheel that I don't need easy access to all the time.

I think the steel bumper w/ tire swing out is the ideal move, I'll probably end up going that direction eventually. I've seen the locking latches break off so that would be a downside and that particular latch was proprietary which caused my buddy a hassle in the replacement process but that was the only issue with a bumper swing out I've seen. That and having to open it every time you need to open the back door, that could get annoying I guess!

Costs a bit more from AirDownGearUp, I think ~$900 shipped, but it's all HPDE plastic mounted with billet machined aluminum hardware. If you're worried about crash ratings, etc. Goose gear primarily uses birch with nutserts I believe. One way to upgrade that would be with a nut on the bottom and bolt through. The 80/20 mounting is strong, but it depends how well the wood and 80/20 are bonded. They are the largest supplier, but another thing to consider is water intrusion/mold with a wood based setup. Food for thought. Also not sure if anyone else follows JW but they have a frame bolted tire carrier coming for GX460 and already debuting for GX470. Looks very robust and to be honest a much better solution than the door mounted carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom