Why do you carry an axe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For kicking down doors and shouting “I traveled 500 miles to plant my seed!” Before grabbing my gal.

B2AD163B-825E-4C1B-9D2B-C7128A724D35.jpeg

I have really sharp slashing axes for brush and trees under 10". Usually can cut through this stuff before a chainsaw starts.
I cringe in the past from pounding stakes and pegs that at times were necessary. I recently bought a geologists
hammer/adze for digging around old mines and now have a dedicated stake and peg pounder and feel much better
about that.

I have really sharp slashing axes for brush and trees under 10". Usually can cut through this stuff before a chainsaw starts.
I cringe in the past from pounding stakes and pegs that at times were necessary. I recently bought a geologists
hammer/adze for digging around old mines and now have a dedicated stake and peg pounder and feel much better
about that.
I keep the same thing in my truck. I also carry my dad's old shingle hammer, kind of like this one. Kind of a multipurpose tool.

Maxwell Shingle Hammmer.jpg

That one looks good, if you are right handed that is a wicked kindling maker!!

That one looks good, if you are right handed that is a wicked kindling maker!!
It is. Especially with cedar, interestingly enough. I do sometimes bring along my old FS Issue Pulaski though...

i carry an axe and a large bow saw. If you're a city slicker, then you prob don't need it, but if you travel through any roads in the woods it can come in handy.
You'll realize their worth if you're on an isolated road with a tree that has fallen in the middle of the road. sometimes the only realistic option is to cut through the obstacle to move forward, because going around or backtracking isn't an option.

i also carry them b/c i never know when i'll be helping chop firewood.

*i still think that an axe is more versatile than a saw, being that you can do more with an axe.
Very well put, I also carry both!

I've been an axe man for about 50 years.

My grandpa taught me how to dress trees as a child, and I've run an axe on and off since then.

Most modern made axes suck hard. They have the wrong profile, are permanently dull, and the handles are much thicker than they need to be, which means they are too stiff and punish the wielder.

I like the Council Hudson Bay axe for most general woods use. The last American made axe that is affordable and good quality. Once it is reprofiled, and the handle slimmed down to a useful size. I gave it a good workout for the last two weeks in Tennessee/Kentucky after the tornadoes.

1640552953363.png

For anything 12" or smaller, I can chop faster than a chainsaw. And an axe is superior to a hand or chainsaw for portability and flexibility.

I use the Cold Steel Viking bearded Axe for dressing timber. Which is what bearded axes were designed to do, regardless of mythology.

Mainly I carry an axe to cut firewood when camping. I am usually camping in areas that are remote enough to find plenty of dead pinion pines, junipers, and ponderosa. I like to target 4" - 8" diameter branches from the dead trees. Usually a couple solid chops followed by a strong kick will get it done.

They also work great for chopping your shin......

20180324_102345.jpg

20180324_104708.jpg

New camping rule, only chop when the sun is out and before the beers are cracked.

Speaking of wounds, here's what my grandson did a few years ago within 15 minutes of setting up camp! The nearest ER was a 2-hour drive, but he's a trooper and opted to go back to camp after he was stitched up. It was a lesson learned for both of us and he has a cool scar to boot.

The hatchet still has dried blood on it and sometimes I'll show it to him and make slasher-movie sound effects. It's always good for a laugh. :)

IMG_2401.JPG

Last edited:
I started carrying an ax because some campgrounds have barely split wood. I generally make my kindling for trips out of scraps from my shop. But to get a fire going theres nothing like wood split down to maybe 2”x2”. It works for me. But I know fire making styles vary.

On a side note, I’m using a standard Lowe’s Collins brand ax thats served me well for many years but the handle is getting pretty ragged. I’m thinking about an upgrade. With the new truck I’m going to make a spot on the swing out to hold the ax (its a 40 so its spartan) bit I need an axe with cover over the blade. I am astounded by how many companies sell axes but dont have sheath’s. I mean how do you travel with an ax if you cant cover the sharp part?

I dig on the Hudson Bay kind of ax but no sheathes… Weird as hell to me. Could be I’m missing them somehow. I have a friend who makes KyDec holsters. I thought maybe Id go down that road if I cant find a good option.

I’m also up for suggestions for good axes with sheathes for under $100.00. I like a full size axe (36” or so). I dont find the smaller handled ones very useful (I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok).

I started carrying an ax because some campgrounds have barely split wood. I generally make my kindling for trips out of scraps from my shop. But to get a fire going theres nothing like wood split down to maybe 2”x2”. It works for me. But I know fire making styles vary.

On a side note, I’m using a standard Lowe’s Collins brand ax thats served me well for many years but the handle is getting pretty ragged. I’m thinking about an upgrade. With the new truck I’m going to make a spot on the swing out to hold the ax (its a 40 so its spartan) bit I need an axe with cover over the blade. I am astounded by how many companies sell axes but dont have sheath’s. I mean how do you travel with an ax if you cant cover the sharp part?

I dig on the Hudson Bay kind of ax but no sheathes… Weird as hell to me. Could be I’m missing them somehow. I have a friend who makes KyDec holsters. I thought maybe Id go down that road if I cant find a good option.

I’m also up for suggestions for good axes with sheathes for under $100.00. I like a full size axe (36” or so). I dont find the smaller handled ones very useful (I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok).
It's fairly easy to make your own sheath.

Get some leather or heavy canvas, and dink around with an awl and some heavy thread.

Only a 26" axe but I have been using one of these for a long time with no issues. It's a great axe for the $$$$$ and it comes with a sheath.

Amazon product ASIN B004WJGXAQ

It's fairly easy to make your own sheath.

Get some leather or heavy canvas, and dink around with an awl and some heavy thread.
I’m going to YouTube U. getting a certificate in kydex.

Did anyone mention “because it pisses off tree huggers”? Reason enough👍

I found a FS Pulaski in the woods 25 years ago and that's been a great camping ax. It chops, it digs, it's a decent prybar.

You guys with your "ax is faster than chainsaw" crack me up. Maybe a toy chainsaw. Your typical Stihl 044 or 056 magnum AV with chisel chain will go through a 15" tree before you've got your 3rd swing in.

I found a FS Pulaski in the woods 25 years ago and that's been a great camping ax. It chops, it digs, it's a decent prybar.

You guys with your "ax is faster than chainsaw" crack me up. Maybe a toy chainsaw. Your typical Stihl 044 or 056 magnum AV with chisel chain will go through a 15" tree before you've got your 3rd swing in.

My ax is faster than any chainsaw you'd name up to about 8 inches of tree diameter. But then I have run an ax for literally decades, have quality axes with good profiles and are properly sharp.

By the time you got the thing out and started, I'm moving onto the next limb/trunk.

Chainsaws have a place in life. An ax works on small stuff better.

Also, for someone who owns one and doesn't really understand how to use it (99.9999% of chainsaw owners) an ax man who knows how to use an ax is better, especially if the tree is in a bad place.

I carry a chainsaw and a splitting axe for processing firewood. I've also had to use the chainsaw and winch to remove downed trees from the trail on several occasions.

Of all the stuff I carry, the axe and chainsaw probably see the most use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom