Why do you carry an axe? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Axe & Mattock

I've found a useful alternative to the axe option. A Axe & Mattock combination (Cutter Mattock). The axe portion can be used for cutting, chopping and splitting and the mattock portion can be used for trenching, digging and road building/repairing. Where I found it most helpful was knocking down the edges of a creek that we had to cross so the edge/step wasn't so sharp going down on one side and up on the other side.

It was also used for cutting/splitting wood for the camp fire and digging the fire pit in the hard midwest dirt!

It does need to be sharpened regularly since it doesn't hold a good edge..

I have it hung on the rear bumper/spare tire carrier. You can almost see it in front of the shovel..

Good luck.
Moab 2010 161.jpg

I vote chainsaw, 'tho it may be a theft temptaion mounted on the roof rack. Axe is useful splitting the wood I cut with the saw when it's been raining for two weeks.

In all seriousness, if I get a rig like this put together, I think a pulaski would be the way to go. Firefighters use the axe blade primarily for roots when trenching.

Splitting firewood... splitting wood for whatever reason... driving stakes or any other use as a hammer... chopping holes/trenches in ice, cutting roots.... cutting cable... cutting turf/sod/peat... Hard to remember all the uses I have put axes to over the years.

Chain saw is nice... sledge hammer is nice. Splitting maul is nice. Mattock is nice. I might be carrying any combination of those items... along with my axe. :)

It is too simple, too light too useful and too easy to have along to not do so.

Mark...

In all seriousness, if I get a rig like this put together, I think a pulaski would be the way to go. Firefighters use the axe blade primarily for roots when trenching.

The big pulaski or Axe/Mattock combo.

Like all combination tools it works well on a lot of different tasks, but not great on a particular task. But it's a great multi-tool....kinda like our Cruisers...

Good luck
pulaski-tool-061509-lg.jpg

. . . Plus it looks sweet up top with the shovel bro.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The shovel would be lonely without it's trusty companion!

:D

I carry whats called a "boy's axe" (ok, let the jokes begin!). It's a bit smaller than an axe but bigger than a hatchet. As mentioned earlier, I use it mainly for splitting wood, driving tent stakes, and cutting camp wood. It's small enough to carry inside the truck so I don't have to bolt it to the outside rack. It works well on zombies aswell.

An axe is an axe one side, a good big hammer the other, great for splitting kindling, trimming branches, hammering steel rims back into shape, driving pegs, stakes, removing dirty bark from trees before using the chainsaw etc.

A good all rounder tool to carry.

The big pulaski or Axe/Mattock combo.

Like all combination tools it works well on a lot of different tasks, but not great on a particular task. But it's a great multi-tool....kinda like our Cruisers...

Good luck

I'm glad someone mentioned this tool. I've use this type of tool to dig (by hand) a basement from what was a craw space, to dig out old tree root balls and for making trails in the woods.

I think the tools mentioned (bow saw, axe, chainsaw, combo tool, shovel) all have their place. It's really a matter of what fits you space and type of wheeling best.

"Estwing Campers Axe 26" Length" I keep one of these in the rig all the time. This has been a great tool and does not take up alot of room either.

The axe splits firewood quicker than the chainsaw, is easier to strap to your truck, makes a better hammer than the chainsaw, and hurts less if someone steals it.

It also doesnt leak gas or bar oil in your interior.

Its not often that most of us need to clear a tree off a trail, though if your making trails somewhere or getting firewood obviously its a great tool to have.

Mr D-animal has some great info on chainsaws .
Learn to break one down to a small box with bar off.
I can store a huge amount of crap in that box that is used when the wife says (Great challenge down the cliff). BUT when s*** is needed , I can pull out (10 mins + ) twice the axe/ maul /hacker if need be.. I just don't show my bling .. My basic axe / hammer / trowel tool is also put away so bling is at at a minimum.

Seems like lots like to walk around with there FLY open .. That can catch bad bytes to rashche .
Meaning : un clip a Axe and smash .. or your insurance can see it as keys left in the door.

All the above posted tools , I also like to carry , just learn bling = theft .

But always help , it comes back / fold to you..
VT

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks for all the great responses. I'm really thinking hard now. I like the combo Axe/Mattocks idea and the collapsed down chainsaw too. I can see how the mattocks would be very helpful in trail service/use.
Thanks everyone.

Yes that is a nice saw , I run Stihl . My personal pref, Husky was not my cup of tea.
Most IMPORTANT is the fuel & OIL ..
To kill a saw fast is use regular (some premiums) fuel from USA ..

Ethanol fuel filler/additive of E10 minimum to E85 (won't run on ) is a BS Filler for your car. It is also alcohol , water based or is hydroscopic (meaning it likes to attract water and displace oil ) ..So in a pre-mix fuel , and one that is in storage for some time , ITS PURE DEATH.

I run Av fuel , Go out to a small piston airport (Busy one)where the moms and pops own there small machine , buy some 110 Oct. fuel for piston engine , There is no filler / BS / Additive in real fuel , smell it and if your old , thats what grey hairs remember. That fuel mixed with a fuel stabilizer will last 2 years , and if not used , pour it in a lawn mower or anything without a catalytic converter.

The oil (I use synthetic pre mix ELF euro racing type) will always be suspended in the fuel..

Just a major heads up , were in the time expired right after manufacturing responsibility is over..
You can use pre mix in a regular fuel engine if diluted and there is no cat.

VT

Edit add:
And when they state 50 MPG , there on real fuel of 19,000 BTU not Ethanol enhanced at 12,000 if your lucky .
Same money , less distance / power , Corn fuel cost more to make than you can travel , farmers like the $$ ..

Last edited:
Hey Calico Kid,
As a side note, my company stamps out that toothed digger attachment for Forrest Tools that is shown in the picture you posted. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom