Why do you carry an axe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. I see a lot of pictures on here with shovels and axes attached to roof racks. The shovel I understand, I always carry one in my truck, but the axe...? I also always carry a bow saw with which I can whack off enough firewood from downed trees to last an entire night in about 10 minuits or less. It would take 5 times as long to cut the same amount of wood with an axe, especially with the limbs bouncing around in the air, etc.. I have had axes in the past for use around the house but never really used them either, just seemed like too much hassle and too much work. I always ended up grabbing the chain saw or the bow saw or the splitting mall and wedges.
So....., what's the deal? Why do YOU carry an axe in/on your truck?
(Maybe I really need one and just don't know it yet!!)

Thanks,
cp

Why not?

i carry an axe and a large bow saw. If you're a city slicker, then you prob don't need it, but if you travel through any roads in the woods it can come in handy.
You'll realize their worth if you're on an isolated road with a tree that has fallen in the middle of the road. sometimes the only realistic option is to cut through the obstacle to move forward, because going around or backtracking isn't an option.

i also carry them b/c i never know when i'll be helping chop firewood.

*i still think that an axe is more versatile than a saw, being that you can do more with an axe.

Last edited:
Because a bow saw on the side of the roof rack looks dorky.

I carry a shovel, a small bowsaw and an axe. An axe can also be used as a hammer.

O.K., I admit, I did not think about zombies! That's a good point!
As far as trees go, if I was going into the back country where I thought I might not have the option of turning back I would be carrying a chainsaw. I guess an axe would be a good back-up for that for cutting thru large tree limbs blocking the trail. I didn't think about large tree limbs.... but I still would not want to have to do it with an axe! Good for emergency use in that situation though.
Keep it up, you're starting to convince me!! :eek:

My $.02 and a true story. Went up to Monache Meadows this past September. Me towing a trailer, I was a little behind the rest of the crew. We were humping it back to our favorite river campsite. Call came over the ham radio with good and bad news. Good news - the campsite was not occupied. The bad news was that there was a downed tree with a good 12-15" trunk over the road about 50' from camp.
They had a collapsable bow saw and I had an axe recently sharpend thank god! They went to work on one side of the road and I on the other side. I got thru the trunk as quickly as they did! We strapped one end out of the way with one of the trucks and pulled the piece we'd sectioned off in the road out of the way via a strap and good old fashioned brute force.
That's why I carry an axe.

Pics here to prove it: 9/16 - 9/18 Monache Meadow, Leader - Ken S. Msg# 9771 :flipoff2:

Larger bow saw would have been nice instead of the little one they had, but it got the job done on one side, and my bow saw will be in my trailer as standard equipment on trips to wooded areas going forward. Given the number of downed trees at Monache, I'll put my chain saw in for that trip too in the future!
...and I agree with 45Kevin, a bow saw would look dorky in quikfist clamps on the side of my trailer!!! :hillbilly:
I've used it to split wood for kindling too.

Last edited:
I carry an axe... Cause where I have camped there is tree trunks n a sharp axe..will keep yah nice n warm in cold environments..

Chainsaw is faster tho ;)

neither saw nor axe usually for wheeling, not many trees in SoCal that couldn't be moved with a winch... (sadly)

(usually have both when camping)

Chainsaw is faster tho ;)

"A chainsaw can remove a limb, or act as a replacement."
230px-Evil_dead_photo_11.jpg

But, back to the topic, axes are really handy. Most OHV-accessible campgrounds have pretty strict regulations on fire control (and rightfully so!) and if fires are permitted at all, they generally are expected to remain small. My friends and I often truck rounds of firewood in from home. burning a whole round would be ridiculous, and dangerous, not to mention wasteful and impossible to light.
Axes make large rounds small.
They also knock out dead trees across the road, as mentioned, can hammer in tent stakes, split kindling, drive in fence posts (for trail cleanup) and club baby seals.

Because you can store an axe on a rack full time and sharpen it up in a few minutes with a mill file when you need it.

I just carry a folding pruning saw. :meh:

neither saw nor axe usually for wheeling, not many trees in SoCal that couldn't be moved with a winch... (sadly)

(usually have both when camping)

We did consider this Eric - the the tree was too damn big and just fell wrong for us to do that!

pruning, firewood, cutting s*** down and going

Reason I carry a hatchet: mel gibson

I usually Carry an axe, large hatchet, and a saw. Depending on where I go, a chainsaw. Good to have for splitting firewood. Use as a BFH. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus it looks sweet up top with the shovel bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom