Would you find this map useful? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.

I assume the majority of people here are from the US so hoping posting about this where its in the UK would be no issue since you can't buy anything from there?

I created this clickable map as its a campsite directory and wanted to know what real campers would want in such a directory as it's in its most basic form right now and I want to try and improve it.

It's around the best campsites in the UK which you can see by region.

Best Campsites in the UK by Region - Clickable Map - https://outdoorroadie.co.uk/pages/best-campsites-uk-map

I would love any feedback around the content, if you think it is helpful or what you think is needed if you were interested in a campsite in the US.

Hi everyone.

I assume the majority of people here are from the US so hoping posting about this where its in the UK would be no issue since you can't buy anything from there?

I created this clickable map as its a campsite directory and wanted to know what real campers would want in such a directory as it's in its most basic form right now and I want to try and improve it.

It's around the best campsites in the UK which you can see by region.

Best Campsites in the UK by Region - Clickable Map - https://outdoorroadie.co.uk/pages/best-campsites-uk-map

I would love any feedback around the content, if you think it is helpful or what you think is needed if you were interested in a campsite in the US.
So these are my thoughts...
We might use it and it's a draw to your website which might be good for business. But I'm afraid you have some extremely powerful competition in the names of Google, Hipcamp (at least in the US, can't speak for elsewhere), KOA's (again in the US) , and POI factory. These are the sites we use to find destinations. Also, effort to keep the list current could be quite time consuming. Would you also host reviews? Because the reviews have really influenced our decisions.

So these are my thoughts...
We might use it and it's a draw to your website which might be good for business. But I'm afraid you have some extremely powerful competition in the names of Google, Hipcamp (at least in the US, can't speak for elsewhere), KOA's (again in the US) , and POI factory. These are the sites we use to find destinations. Also, effort to keep the list current could be quite time consuming. Would you also host reviews? Because the reviews have really influenced our decisions.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Yeah I would love to host reviews but there's no booking the campsite from the site as that resource is purely to have something useful and practical. So you would say having reviews on there is the primary reason you would go for a campsite? Because looking at google and etc they don't really expand on what facilities are there and what you can do in that area which would give a campsite a specific unique selling point.You are right when it comes to competition but hoped to be the helpful resource for people who do a lot of car camping and overlanding rather than catering for all campers. But not sure how realistic it is in terms of updating like you mentioned.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Yeah I would love to host reviews but there's no booking the campsite from the site as that resource is purely to have something useful and practical. So you would say having reviews on there is the primary reason you would go for a campsite? Because looking at google and etc they don't really expand on what facilities are there and what you can do in that area which would give a campsite a specific unique selling point.You are right when it comes to competition but hoped to be the helpful resource for people who do a lot of car camping and overlanding rather than catering for all campers. But not sure how realistic it is in terms of updating like you mentioned.
Reviews are not the primary reason for a site selection. I would say we use it more to find red flags than anything else. Reviews have often contained information not stated on websites. One gem of a review regarding a private campsite we remember vividly was "Tried to reach camp host to complain about noisy neighbors but there is no host on site. Host told us to call the police". That one we actually followed up on by emailing because the site looked great and found it to be true! I can all but guarantee you that here in the US the police would not enforce private campground rules as here it's a civil issue. So, skipped that one.

Reviews are not the primary reason for a site selection. I would say we use it more to find red flags than anything else. Reviews have often contained information not stated on websites. One gem of a review regarding a private campsite we remember vividly was "Tried to reach camp host to complain about noisy neighbors but there is no host on site. Host told us to call the police". That one we actually followed up on by emailing because the site looked great and found it to be true! I can all but guarantee you that here in the US the police would not enforce private campground rules as here it's a civil issue. So, skipped that one.
Aah I see. That's fair I guess I do the same thing for other products but haven't really thought about it that way as a sort of due diligence check.
Do you have a particular brand you stick with just because they're helpful in some sort of way?

Aah I see. That's fair I guess I do the same thing for other products but haven't really thought about it that way as a sort of due diligence check.
Do you have a particular brand you stick with just because they're helpful in some sort of way?
For reviews? In order Google, Yelp & Trip Advisor as they seem to have the most traffic and photos. I'm literally ALWAYS logged into Google Maps. The National and state park reservation sites here in the USA also have reviews down to the individual campsite so we check those if we're going there; only good for the USA obviously. We do tend to favor the National Parks. You just can't beat $14/night for a campsite right on the beach! 😎

For reviews? In order Google, Yelp & Trip Advisor as they seem to have the most traffic and photos. I'm literally ALWAYS logged into Google Maps. The National and state park reservation sites here in the USA also have reviews down to the individual campsite so we check those if we're going there; only good for the USA obviously. We do tend to favor the National Parks. You just can't beat $14/night for a campsite right on the beach! 😎
Wow that's pretty amazing. In the UK the campsite prices have gone a bit crazy at around £40 per night. Maybe $50 per night. I'm not Yelp is so big over here but certainly Google and Tripadvisor are at the very top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom