Why do we do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I work for Toyota and drive all of the new models, see the complexity and still wonder how technology keeps getting better and better. However, I still am amazed at the engineering of the 2F emissions system, or the nice touch of a tiny light in the glove box. All in an 80s vehicle...

For 10 years I've wanted a 60. Ebay, Craigslist, Bring a Trailer were my daily sites to browse, knowing fully that for the last 10 years I either couldn't peel off the cash, find a proper place to store it or even forsake a wedding or child for my own self satisfaction and greed of owning one. This summer, my wife finally agreed that we need a family memory machine, something to get us out of the house and see the sights of New England while the kids are young. I've been smiling since September and hope to keep this rig around for a long time.

I totally get the ear-to-grin and love listening to people complain that it's too bumpy, too loud - but so cool!

I got my 62 brand new from the dealer. I've probably spent more in the 27 years I've owned it than I paid for it. It brought my son home from the hospital. He drove it for a couple years in high school, then my oldest daughter drove it when he went to college. It was voted 'coolest car' in her class, along with a 60 that a classmate drove. I have it back now and I enjoy it more than I ever did the 07 Chevy 3500 it replaced. It's like an old sweatshirt or an old pair of jeans. Its all they have been thru with you and the dependability they represent.

Another thing for me, is the friendships I've been fortunate enough to cultivate since I got my 62 and my 40. Damn fine people, drive and ride around in these cruisers.

Yes, I had a 71 VW Westphalia as well, and after driving it on and offroad for 16 years - a 60 was a no brainer.
I appreciate the Cruiser for being just as easy to fix, and way less likely to catastrophically break down or just rattle to pieces.

And it's one of the few vehicles that has the exact same type of "cult"ure surrounding it. Drivers wave in passing, and everyone comes over in the parking lot to check out each others rigs and discuss the best place to get a new windshield.

I think I'd miss that if I got a "normal" car...

I like driving my rusty, 13 mpg, 130hp tractor all over the country. Why? Because its an experience that grants me the the chance to meet awesome people.

I bought it as a weekend toy, and I never stopped driving it and improving it. A daily driven 300,000 mile truck? Sure.

IMG_4839.JPG

Saabs and Motorcycles have been my passion for a long time and I have a mountain of Land Rover projects I have yet to finish and will probably just sell off and move on at this point. I wish I had invested my Land Rover energy into Land Cruisers a while ago hey Hindsight is like an apple a day...or something like that. For me the FJ40's are just in the stratosphere price wise and I always liked the 60's when I was a kid but our family would never have bought anything like that...mostly because we were pretty poor growing up. So now that I am middle aged and have enough money to spend on something foolish I gave into my urge and bought one :)

Saabs:

96-L.jpg

From my days in the Codriver seat:

271665_10150290805919743_580644742_7302374_1587350_o-XL.jpg

black%20and%20white%20rally%20jump-XL.jpg

New Build

20140817_142141-XL.jpg

One Rover Project

IMG_0608-XL.jpg

Shortened Disco chassis

Mockup of panels
IMG_0810-XL.jpg

Tomcat contemplation

bowler-XL.jpg

And the new toy of course

IMG_4311-XL.jpg

IMG_4310-XL.jpg

Racing across Australia back in 2011.

CI-AS11-Moto16-7-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Saabs and Motorcycles have been my passion for a long time and I have a mountain of Land Rover projects I have yet to finish and will probably just sell off and move on at this point. I wish I had invested my Land Rover energy into Land Cruisers a while ago hey Hindsight is like an apple a day...or something like that. For me the FJ40's are just in the stratosphere price wise and I always liked the 60's when I was a kid but our family would never have bought anything like that...mostly because we were pretty poor growing up. So now that I am middle aged and have enough money to spend on something foolish I gave into my urge and bought one :)
No picture???

It's so hard to put to words what it's like getting in the drivers seat of my 85 FJ60. I don't have all the newest and latest and greatest dash gauges and dials. I don't have an outside temperature gauge to tell me the roads getting icy. When your in a cruiser you learn how to read the road. It brings me back to when I was younger and the thought of driving seemed so exciting. Even now with urban sprawl and traffic it seems life is so much better sitting in my 60. I live in the foothills of the Oregon Cascades and have a 17 mile drive to work with 2 traffic lights a mile from work. The rest of my drive is relaxing and enjoyable country life. That slowly transitions to old growth for trees closer to home that tower 200' and are as wide at the base as my cruiser is wide. The FJ60 was built for the person who understands to enjoy the ride. From tackling snowy forest roads in the mountains to sand packed beaches there is no other vehicle I'd rather be in than a FJ60 Landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom