Why do we do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You all already expressed my sentiments. I'm the type of guy who prefers shooting muzzle loaders, I roll my own cigarettes, brew my own beer and make mashed taters from whole potatoes and cook most things on old cast iron. I despise planned obsolescence and throw-away consumerism. The 60 is like a motorcycle in the fact that YOU have to actually DRIVE it. You feel every action and strive for grace. Anticipating the road ahead, picking your line. Can I pass this guy?
It's rare to see an older vehicle in a parking lot but usually it's another Land Cruiser. Expensive? How about a loan on a $57,000 plastic pickup? I wonder how that truck will look in 30 years.
Right on. Love my great grandmothers cast iron skillets. Best ever cooking tool combined w/ a gas stove.
It’s funny I refer to so much as “tools” to my son. Everything I own and use has a purpose. So little is throw-away.

Not one had said it yet... the big ear to ear grin it elicits while driving. I know I’m driving something so rare and so unique it stirs up my blood. When I sold my first truck it was only a matter of a few years and a broken relationship to know I needed another back.

The other day I'm driving along, and my wife says "This is the smoothest the Honey Badger has ever driven!" She was right. (As always). But I've been driving this truck for 8 years with something wrong, never 100%. At this point the truck is probably about 99% maintained and ready to go. Just a couple small things left to do. But that was a rewarding feeling. She has been riding in this truck for 5 years and remembers the stalling and hesitating period before is left us and my family stranded at Copper Mountain on Christmas. I just replaced the head gasket and a long list of things that have been done over the years. But right now, this car drives better than it did 10 years ago.

Put simply, for me it is just the feel of driving a 60. The first time I drove one, I knew I would always have one. As a bonus, think they are the best looking wagons ever made. As I am sure the rest of you have experienced, I am constantly approached by total strangers asking "any chance she is for sale?". My youngest son feels the same way and he now has a 60, so that makes me pretty happy as well.

I’ve noticed a trend recently...lots & lots of 90’s era & older trucks with temp tags. I don’t think it’s just us. I think more people are realizing the value in driving an older vehicle.

All over the world, but especially in America, we are caught in an endless loop of consume-use-dispose-consume. I’m amazed when I go to a junkyard & see cars I remember being $40k brand new just tossed away with the trash. Many of these vehicles are deemed not worth the effort in time or money to repair.

But Land Cruisers are different. They are built to last. You don't just "throw away" a Land Cruiser. You may park it in a barn or leave it in your parents garage. But send it to the junkyard? We've all seen the rust bucket 40's commanding $5k. Any other vehicle you would have to pay to haul away.

Driving the older ones with steel dashboards and manual tranny's are an active experience-not unlike riding a motorcycle. I loved driving my 40 and my pigs. And I was supremely confidant in my 80's reliability. But I think the 60 may be my favorite. And it's cool to pass another Land Cruiser one on the road and give the salute or park next to one at the grocery store.

I wish I could summarize it with something clever or catchy, but I can't. I do it simply because Land Cruisers are cool. And God willing, I'll always have one for the rest of my life.

There was a time James Earl Jones was my narrative voice, but it became Morgan Freeman after “Bruce Almighty”.
For me it is more Samuel L. Jackson, my life requires a lot more use of the word M$%#&*F#*ker than the other two....

It is a simple thing for me, I am more a country boy than I ever really realized. Grew up in a small farming town where hard work, with your hands, skin off your knuckle, sweat off your brow and back breaking work was the norm and how you were determined to be "a man". Now days with instant gratification through social media and the like, simple interactions even social are hard to come by. The joy and accomplishment of actually doing something as simple as changing my own oil is a testament to the "built not bought" mentality of where I grew up and those other items of putting in your time to achieve what you have. Kinda like mtbing for me, yeah you can go to lots of place where you can get lift service to the top of the mountain or shuttle to the top, but I would rather earn my turns because I worked my ass off to get to the top, regardless of how long it takes, and then enjoying the way down making it that much sweeter.

Even in things like video games today, how many people have seen their kids (or themselves) looking at YouTube channels on how to do something or beat a boss easier simply because they do not want to deal with the frustration (again instant gratification). When MMORPGs first came out I was part of a smaller on that I literally had BOOKS of notes on where certain things dropped, what formulas were needed to create a specific type of crafter to make a specific type of weapon with pre and post procs, pages and PAGES of calculations for possible outcomes on toon building, etc. Today all you get is games that have predefined characters with emphasis put on the physical look of the character vs. their in-game viability (which is why I have started LOVING Path of Exile on the Xbox One). Anyways, my dork is seriously showing, might need to tuck that back in.....;)

Because when the weather spikes to 40 and you have a choice to clean out the leaf and ice filled back gutter or reinstalling a new starter at nap time... you always chose the truck first.

6E0CEBBC-4294-489A-8D20-FFF595F8B063.jpeg

Because when the weather spikes to 40 and you have a choice to clean out the leaf and ice filled back gutter or reinstalling a new starter at nap time... you always chose the truck first.

View attachment 1607270

There should be a sticky...

"Things you can do to your cruiser during nap time"

sorta like the "$50 or less thread"

There should be a sticky...

"Things you can do to your cruiser during nap time"

sorta like the "$50 or less thread"
I’ve accomplished many tasks on the truck. It’s pretty funny actually. I’m lucky he still naps at 4.5yrs!

For me it is more Samuel L. Jackson, my life requires a lot more use of the word M$%#&*F#*ker than the other two....

Beautiful post, & I agree with 99% of it. And while I admit Samuel L. Jackson has a strong M#%^*F#%^*$, when I say the word M#%^*F#%^*$, I say that M#%^*F#%^*$ in the style of that famous M#%^*F#%^*$ Bernie M#%^*F#%^*$# Mac.

But that’s just my M#%^*F#%^*$ opinion...

Wow, please do not stop.
I will take this time to thank everyone who has posted. This is way more than I ever expected for a response. I have enjoyed reading the stories and I see I am far from alone. Thank you again everyone.

Last edited:
I like knowing that I can pretty much fix anything on the truck with a few basic hand tools, some bailing wire and ductape if I’m stranded out in the woods. Plus the bond that it’s created with my dad is something that I will be forever grateful for... Not to mention all of the great people that I’ve met and will meet in the cruiser community

Wow, please do not stop.
I will take this time to thank everyone who has posted. This is way more than I ever expected for a response. I have enjoyed reading the stories and I see I am far from alone. Thank you again everyone.
Funny, I was thinking of starting a post like this. Was gonna call it "Why do you drive a sixty?" Or something like that. Thank you for doing this for me. I've found my people! I was worried that I had lost my goddam mind

I loved reading all of your posts. I came from the aircooled VW world. I had Bugs and Buses and Ghias and loved them all just like I love my big ugly 88 FJ62. Quality parts were always a pain in the ass to find but damnit you did it. I wrenched in my spare time and enjoyed them all thoroughly. They were just so different. Just like this FJ. It is different. I'm not even interested in anything else. I tell you one thing though. No one, and I mean no one tailgates me or tries to squeeze me out of my lane in traffic any longer. This baby may not be fast but she is like a freight train. Once started good luck slowing down and hell, I don't even try.

I like the fact my cruisers MAKE me slow down. Seems like when I'm in my F150 or the wifeys Lexus thing I should go fast because I can. But packing up the 60 and heading into the mountains or the desert, time shifts. You look at the world and not your watch. You pull over to take in a view. Not to take a selfie to post to instaface, but to be there in the moment, one with the world and you cruiser. You continue on in your quest for the perfect camp spot, just enjoying the act of exploration. As Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes once said: "The world ins't so bad once you get out into it."

I loved reading all of your posts. I came from the aircooled VW world. I had Bugs and Buses and Ghias and loved them all just like I love my big ugly 88 FJ62. Quality parts were always a pain in the ass to find but damnit you did it. I wrenched in my spare time and enjoyed them all thoroughly. They were just so different. Just like this FJ. It is different. I'm not even interested in anything else. I tell you one thing though. No one, and I mean no one tailgates me or tries to squeeze me out of my lane in traffic any longer. This baby may not be fast but she is like a freight train. Once started good luck slowing down and hell, I don't even try.
I too am from the AC Vdub mould. Old Toyotas are much easier to maintain and the Sixty is the only vehicle I have loved since washing my hands of that nasty VW habit. And compared to my 71 bus, the Sixty is FAST! And air conditioning and heat are a novelty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom