Why did you choose your front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know if the TJM T13 sticks out less than the ARB? I think I've narrowed my bumper hunt down to one of those two and would prefer the lower profile of the two.

Secondly, has anyone ever taken any measurements of how far these bumpers stick out past the grill? I hear lots of comments about it, but it's tough to judge in pictures.
My T17 sticks out 6.5” from the grille, FYI.
5B35332B-5A59-4B1E-BED1-1F006CC7337E.jpeg

I don't know what it is about that, but that is just gorgeous. What's the story behind Kavic? People seem to act like it's not being made? Is it different than http://www.kavikoffroad.com/ ?

Secondly, has anyone ever taken any measurements of how far these bumpers stick out past the grill? I hear lots of comments about it, but it's tough to judge in pictures.

The Dissent is right at 5.5"

IMG_9062.jpeg

And the ARB Winch bumper anyone?

I don't know what it is about that, but that is just gorgeous. What's the story behind Kavic? People seem to act like it's not being made? Is it different than http://www.kavikoffroad.com/ ?
The website is still up but he hasn't responded to inquiries in over a year. I would buy one in a heartbeat if he started making them again.

Thanks!

It would be great if we had an independent magazine to conduct a serious product review between bumpers.

Review areas:

1) A visual inspection (from the face and from behind).
2) Materials (plastics vs metal and type of metal)
3) Weld quality.
4) Versatility - configuration options for bull bars, winches, and etc.
5) Winch requirements feet down or forward (deduct points for bumpers that require winches with 8 clock positions)
6) Clear Installation instructions.
7) Wiring instructions (take into consideration differences between LC and LX)
8) Paint or powder coating options.
9) Fit and finish.
10) Other items like bearings, hardware, nut and bolt grade, and quality of rear bumper swingouts, light kit quality. How long can the lights be submerged in water before leaking?

You might give TREAD a call... They might take you up on it @OwnerCS

I have had an ARB on my 60 and now on my 100. They are big and heavy and are also good
when camping as you can stand on it, tie all kinds of lines to it: ie clothes drying, etc. I do not have a winch
but if i did I would want this bumper.

Last edited:
Mosquitos depend on location. I can attest to suicidal deer and bipolar weather. LOL

1605530139566.png

1605530453530.png

I have had an ARB on my 60 and now on my 100. They are big and heavy and are also good
when camping as you can stand on it, tie all kinds of lines to it: ie clothes drying, etc. I do not have a winch
but if i did I would want this bumper.

Nice! I'm assuming you have aftermarket torsion bars?

And the ARB Winch bumper anyone?

Another view of ARB 3413190 Deluxe bar (winch version but no winch installed here), not much change out of 10 inches from grille to uprights supporting hoops, colour-matched to vehicle (Toyota 062 'Crystal White'):

Measurement ....
ARB Bar Distance from Grille 1.jpg

Side view ....
ARB Bar Distance from Grille 2.jpg

HiLift jacking slot (one on both sides) next to rubber over-rider and next to chassis rail behind ....
ARB Deluxe Bar 3413190 Detail.jpg

No way this bar comes loose and rattles unless some really, really serious damage is done -- then just tighten it up (note SRS compliant attachment on this 2006 vehicle with recovery points by RoadSafe, not offered by ARB) .....
HDJ100R IFS - ARB airbag compliant mount - Roadsafe recovery point.jpg

Last edited:
I assume this part is the breakaway portion that protects the frame from damage in a collision? Does anyone know if the others like the Dissent and TJM have this or something similar?

Screenshot 2020-11-17 075229.jpg

I assume this part is the breakaway portion that protects the frame from damage in a collision? Does anyone know if the others like the Dissent and TJM have this or something similar?

View attachment 2498261
It is not about frame damage. The laws in this part of the world (and maybe elsewhere) require that if a "Supplementary Restraint System" (SRS) alias "Airbags" are fitted to vehicle, then a front bar must not change significantly the manner and circumstances in which the "Airbags" deploy, as compared to stock vehicle without the bar. The bar mounting structure is designed and field-tested to do this. Each bar manufacturer selling in this market or similar markets (including TJM) will have their own solution to achieve compliance with local laws. Their solution may be different to the ARB solution. However it is done, the practicalities are that sufficient "give" is built-in so that deceleration is similar to the original vehicle in the event of a collision. Airbags on my 2006 LC100 are initiated by factory-fitted Toyota accelerometers near each front fender. An animal strike is unlikely to cause airbag deployment -- and I have had several reasonably large animal strikes with this bar -- but it depends on the size of the animal and the deceleration caused. If I hit a brick wall or an oncoming vehicle, the deceleration will be extremely rapid, airbags must deploy with or without a front bar. The overall design purpose of this ARB bar is to minimise the risk of disabling the vehicle in remote places, particularly in animal strikes. It doesn't matter if the airbags deploy -- that will be 'inconvenient' and certainly expensive (!) but not of itself disabling.

It is not about frame damage. The laws in this part of the world (and maybe elsewhere) require that if a "Supplementary Restraint System" (SRS) alias "Airbags" are fitted to vehicle, then a front bar must not change significantly the manner and circumstances in which the "Airbags" deploy, as compared to stock vehicle without the bar. The bar mounting structure is designed and field-tested to do this. Each bar manufacturer selling in this market or similar markets (including TJM) will have their own solution to achieve compliance with local laws. Their solution may be different to the ARB solution. However it is done, the practicalities are that sufficient "give" is built-in so that deceleration is similar to the original vehicle in the event of a collision. Airbags on my 2006 LC100 are initiated by factory-fitted Toyota accelerometers near each front fender. An animal strike is unlikely to cause airbag deployment -- and I have had several reasonably large animal strikes with this bar -- but it depends on the size of the animal and the deceleration caused. If I hit a brick wall or an oncoming vehicle, the deceleration will be extremely rapid, airbags must deploy with or without a front bar. The overall design purpose of this ARB bar is to minimise the risk of disabling the vehicle in remote places, particularly in animal strikes. It doesn't matter if the airbags deploy -- that will be 'inconvenient' and certainly expensive (!) but not of itself disabling.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. That really cleared things up for me.

I went with ARB (today, actually!). I Loved the look of the Dissent, but my wife was able to get the ARB Deluxe, OME TBs, LED driving lights and all wiring for a few hundred less than a bare Dissent w/ bull bar. Maybe enough left over for a HF winch, or some savings towards a rear bumper? Plus, tons of mule deer here in rural UT, and $3600 damage to the LX earlier this year from a wayward pronghorn- if I use it once, it’s already worth it!

747B3CD1-E85E-44D8-B05A-DDABD392931F.jpeg

I went with ARB (today, actually!). I Loved the look of the Dissent, but my wife was able to get the ARB Deluxe, OME TBs, LED driving lights and all wiring for a few hundred less than a bare Dissent w/ bull bar. Maybe enough left over for a HF winch, or some savings towards a rear bumper? Plus, tons of mule deer here in rural UT, and $3600 damage to the LX earlier this year from a wayward pronghorn- if I use it once, it’s already worth it!

View attachment 2502996
Congrats! I'm thinking the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom