Why did you choose your front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A non-negligible number of people get them because of potential animal strikes that could destroy their truck in the absence of a bumper, as evidenced by the responses in this thread. Those folks hope to never need to “utilize their benefits”, but having it is better than not...

May depend on where you live.

A 10 point buck jumped into my headlight. Drove it 40 miles home with no coolant or fluid leaks. It was still a very frightening experience when it happened 40 miles from nowhere. I saw him standing in the woods alongside the road. He literally tried to dive into my headlight.

1604387969777.png

Not my picture. Damage from feral hogs. Feral hogs are on the rise. You need to be able to limp home after an animal strike.

1604388869315.png

Last edited:
May depend on where you live.

A 10 point buck jumped into my headlight. Drove it 40 miles home with no coolant or fluid leaks. Sill a very frightening experience when 40 miles from nowhere. It saw standing in the woods alongside the road. It literally tried to dive into my headlight.

In hindsight, maybe I chose a bumper that had been crash tested.

View attachment 2484999

Not my picture. Damage from feral hogs. Feral hogs are on the rise. You need to be able to limp home after an animal strike.

View attachment 2485002
1604394542855.png

I hit one in a *low risk state*, where I had a 0.45% mean probability of hitting an animal. Those of you in a medium or high risk state would be wise to consider getting an aftermarket bumper.

Useless side note: I really wish they would produce these figures with probabilities instead of odds, the former of which are much more intuitive for the layman...

Last edited:
I think a dissent with full guard is just as good as an ARB against deer. Seems people think that the ARB is the only bumper to protect from deer strikes.

View attachment 2484919ARB Deluxe 03-07. I’ve always thought the ARBs just look at home on a 100 series. I don’t have a winch yet but leaning towards the smittybilt. I’ve added some Baja Designs fog lights and want to add a set of 6” diam LEDs, either KC, Baja design, or ARB intensity.

Your setup looks really clean. Can you talk about it? How much lift are you running and what tire size? Thanks!

It would be great if we had an independent magazine to conduct a serious product review between bumpers.

Review areas:

1) A visual inspection (from the face and from behind).
2) Materials (plastics vs metal and type of metal)
3) Weld quality.
4) Versatility - configuration options for bull bars, winches, and etc.
5) Winch requirements feet down or forward (deduct points for bumpers that require winches with 8 clock positions)
6) Clear Installation instructions.
7) Wiring instructions (take into consideration differences between LC and LX)
8) Paint or powder coating options.
9) Fit and finish.
10) Other items like bearings, hardware, nut and bolt grade, and quality of rear bumper swingouts, light kit quality. How long can the lights be submerged in water before leaking?

Dissent for me because:
A. Aluminum. I'm a fan of weight savings.
B. Looks (most any option protects, but nothing else looks like a Dissent)
C. Known winch compatibility for 12.5k.
D. Full steel bull bar option.

We're fortunate to have great options from world class manufacturers like Slee, Dissent, Bump it Offroad, etc...

If you want protection without the bull bar, I'd go Slee Blueberry.

When I first built back in 2008 not many choices, so ARB. A few years ago switched to a Dissent steel.
Dissent because:
  • @benc is a smart guy
  • Its strong and good looking
  • Doesn't work loose and rattle like ARB
  • Great approach angle (I offroad a lot)
  • Ben did a couple of custom tweaks for me
  • ARB's have pretty good resale value

When I first built back in 2008 not many choices, so ARB. A few years ago switched to a Dissent steel.
Dissent because:
  • @benc is a smart guy

I may be on my 2nd set of bumpers next year. Though, I'm going very careful about what I get mixed up with.

I think a dissent with full guard is just as good as an ARB against deer. Seems people think that the ARB is the only bumper to protect from deer strikes.
The Dissent with full guard will surely offer protection but I can't see how it would be "just as good." Let's take a look at the two... we'll ignore the main bumper design and just look at the bar work.

The ARB Deluxe has two horizontal bars/tubing vs one on the Dissent. The upper tube is larger in diameter (unknown wall thickness). The outer vertical tubing actually passes through the top plate of the bumper and extends down another 4-5" into the main bumper.

Don't get me wrong, the Dissent is a great, high clearance bumper. Great on weight too. But #1 animal protection bumper goes to ARB.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 7.33.59 AM.png
F143829584.jpg

Choosing a bumper for the 100 is so difficult because they are all (mostly) quality pieces that look good. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the main players (ARB, BIO, Dissent, Ironman, Slee, Victory, etc).

I chose the 03-07 ARB deluxe for my '99. My primary need was animal strike protection since I live in rural Kansas and have had many near misses over the years. I also wanted a bumper that was winch ready and would look at home on the 100 (aesthetics are a personal choice for sure). A bumper that was easy to order (no phone call necessary) and wouldn't take 6 months to arrive was also an indirect deciding factor for me.

1604420042824.png

Last edited:
ARB for me based on classic looks, protection and airbag rating. The rear might go to Dissent!

I wanted the Sahara, but it was more $ for the 03+ trucks. With the hoop and paint match it was going to be about $2k and heavy. I dislike how white trucks look with the guards and I live in Ca so animal strikes are not really a concern. Then 2 things happened; the BaT lx470 with dissent bumpers sold for like $60k, and then Ben did a group buy. I was also able to pick up locally, so no shipping and Ben did the powder-coat. Now that it is installed, IMO it makes other bumpers look really cheap. Even the welds on my mt sliders bother me now.

D49591F3-4AD9-4E17-93FC-4FCF503D4A03.jpeg

Last edited:
Meanwhile Walmart is selling bumpers. Grab your shopping cart from the parking lot and get in line on Black Friday.

Meanwhile Walmart is selling bumpers. Grab your shopping cart from the parking lot and get in line on Black Friday.

If you wait till tonight or tomorrow I bet it will be on 5 finger discount in several major cities.

Dissent because:
  • @benc is a smart guy

Are ARB's known to rattle after some time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom