Why did you choose your front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what are the comparable weights and ground clearancess. I primarily need an "elk catcher" but am concerned about weight and clearance as well. I don't do technical rock crawling, but my hunting trips take me through some gnarly places.

TJM T17 is around 75 pounds, I was able to mount it by myself. Smittybilt 9.5k lb XRC winch with wire rope is roughly 95 pounds. I did not have to adjust TB's after install. Lowest point (center) is 19" from the ground and highest point at the outside is 23" from the ground.

I've heard one poster say the ARB bumper rattles, that would put it out of the running for me. Your bumper looks great! Any issues so far with it?
No real issues. There are a lot of pieces to it and you can see the bull bar move a little while driving around. However, it took a pretty good hit last week and didn't budge a bit. There are some pretty interesting TJM test videos on youtube. They hit a 90kg kangaroo replica and discuss the damage.

Thanks guys! The folks on this forum are so great

Chuck

Is a suspension upgrade needed after adding a heavier bumper?

Oh also, it sounds like bumpers getting loose might be a general issue, is that right? Not just something ARB faces?

Last edited:
You're going to find very few manufacturers that have any sort of airbag compatibility testing. It's cost prohibitive for small businesses (which most are) to buy and total multiple vehicles for the sake of air bag testing. Big companies like ARB and TJM are the exceptions.
Roger that...thought I would verify.

Howdy all!
Considering a winch and front bumper, just curious what everyone has and why they chose that one. (Bonus points for a winch too!)

This discussion from the other side of the world may be of interest:

Bullbar Buyers’ Guide review

("ADR 69" means Australian Design Rule 69 which specifies various local requirements including airbag compatibility and crash testing for vehicles manufactured or sold in Australia -- Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 69/00 - Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection) 2006. This is based in part on US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS208. Aftermarket Australian bumpers also must be compatible with ADR 69 requirements).

There is increasing interest in lightweight polyethylene "Smart Bars" with or without winch -- also marketed by ARB -- SmartBar Bull Bars - Australian Made, Lightweight and Tough

Last edited:
Wow! Both parties faired pretty well!

I have a Kavic
IMG_6968.jpg

I went with Dissent - Local, high clearance, modular, available aluminum option (I live in SF closer to the fog, so salt air is an issue), and one of the few that ALSO has an attractive matching rear bumper. I only wish the LX version had a bull bar option that was straight like the LC version- the LX version is too organic for my taste..

image0.jpg
image1.jpg

Leaning towards ARB right now, because the following:
  • Seems to be as strong as anything else on the market.
  • Definitely looks at home on the 100 series.
  • The ARB side rail option seems like a really cost effective way to take care of side rails and sliders.
I know they're not true sliders, but I'm thinking/hoping it'll be sufficient for what I want, which is more overlanding than rock-climbing. That's probably the tie breaker between it and TJM and Ironman. I was also considering Dissent but I think @hoser made some convincing points about the modular design.

I have the ARB only because it was on the rig when I bought it. It needs to be refinished, which I plan to do with hand sanding and a rattle can since the rig is supposed to be a budget build. If I were starting from scratch, I would likely choose something a little 'sleeker', but since I'm not....I am now intrigued with the ARB side steps and rails to add to my bumper. And yes...mostly because I think they look cool.

I have the ARB only because it was on the rig when I bought it. It needs to be refinished, which I plan to do with hand sanding and a rattle can since the rig is supposed to be a budget build. If I were starting from scratch, I would likely choose something a little 'sleeker', but since I'm not....I am now intrigued with the ARB side steps and rails to add to my bumper. And yes...mostly because I think they look cool.
By sleeker, do you mean something without a bull bar?

Does anyone know if the TJM T13 sticks out less than the ARB? I think I've narrowed my bumper hunt down to one of those two and would prefer the lower profile of the two.

Secondly, has anyone ever taken any measurements of how far these bumpers stick out past the grill? I hear lots of comments about it, but it's tough to judge in pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom