Who knows NV4500's really well? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

clutch pedal assy etc

I have recently installed an FJ60 clutch pedal assy into my FZJ80, and am using an FJ60 split xfer case behind my NV4500 - basically the same thing you are doing, except mine is behind a 6.5TD. i've got pictures of the pedal install, and will have pics of the xfer case install this weekend.

The driveshafts will not bolt up to the split case, but you can mix/match the ends to make it work as the driveshaft splines are the same. You'll probably need to change the length of driveshafts anyway...

I have recently installed an FJ60 clutch pedal assy into my FZJ80, and am using an FJ60 split xfer case behind my NV4500 - basically the same thing you are doing, except mine is behind a 6.5TD. i've got pictures of the pedal install, and will have pics of the xfer case install this weekend.

The driveshafts will not bolt up to the split case, but you can mix/match the ends to make it work as the driveshaft splines are the same. You'll probably need to change the length of driveshafts anyway...

Can you please please please post up pics of the pedal install?
I have alot of 60 series pedals I could buy for much less than an 80 series, and I would be waiting on one for quite a while! Also, what master cylinder are you using for the clutch?

Thanks!

FYI- 4BT swaps has an excellent sticky on trannies and the nv4500 has its own section. The info for the 4BT cummins applies as the 6BT is the same front and back minus two jugs.. Keep us posted!

FYI- 4BT swaps has an excellent sticky on trannies and the nv4500 has its own section. The info for the 4BT cummins applies as the 6BT is the same front and back minus two jugs.. Keep us posted!

I was just at the site, in their transmission section I only found limited info on the NV4500, do you have a link perhaps?

It sounds as though I likely have a NV4500 w/ bellhousing adapter, clutch, flywheel, starter, and crossmember lined up from a 97 cummins, the trans has an apparently recent rebuild.

If all goes well I will take delivery in a few days. I will then wait a while till I have some $$ to spend on the AA adapter, as well I have a split case from a 85 BJ60 lined up. I am waiting on a price for an 80 series clutch pedal assembly from 4wheel auto in edmonton, or I may use a 60 series clutch pedal assembly if someone posts up some pics...

Now to find out what I need in terms of master cylinder and if I need different drive shaft ends.

In the mean time I would like to drive my 60 (in my signature pic) but its got a gnarly death wobble, which looks to be the result of bad TRE's, so I will try and get that resolved soon so I dont have to commute with the wife to and from work or carpool, not that I have anything against it, I just feel like a shmo.

:cheers:

Transmission FAQ Sticky - BOOKMARK THIS THREAD FOR FUTURE REFERENCES - Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

If you scroll down there are a bunch of threads indexed and the NV4500 has a couple different sections. You have to dig a little as the links are mostly to threads. I don't know that you will find exactly the information that you need. I also did a search and found other sites that breakdown the years and variations. The fifth gear nut issues were very interesting - I'm still not sure what the best fix is.
D'Animal use the dodge set up in his rig and made a remark that the throw required on the dodge set up requires the dodge master which is larger if I remember correctly.. Too many options out there!

x2 on the please please post pictures and details of how you made this work. I have a 60 series pedal bucket in the garage and from my measurements it does not fit my 80 without major modifications.

I PMed him, hes having some camera problems but will send some pictures soon, sounds like he did have to cut off a bit of steel first to make it work.

anyone hit up MAF or SOR for clutch pedal bucket

anyone hit up MAF or SOR for clutch pedal bucket

Regarding the pedal assembly, $250 from SOR, you can probally get one from a 60 for $50. Obviously there are pros and cons to either, though I think I will likely go with the 60 pedal and take some pics/ write up.

On my 60 I used a Wilwood race car master cylinder. They are only $50 brand new from Summit or Jegs. They come in 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 and 1" bores. The mounting studs are vertical instead of horizontal. Width is about the same. On a 60, the new holes were within the reinforced mounting area on the firewall. No firewall mods were necessary.

I used a 7/8" with my 12" GM style clutch. Although the relatively small bore is the same as the factory master, the stroke is longer and flows more to operate a bigger slave. The pedal pressure is so light, it's like driving a Corolla.
Been using it 6 years. No leaks or problems.

lc14.jpg

I used AA's Nv4500 t split case adapter. It works fine. I had hard time getting the courage up at first to lop off the tailshaft of my brand new NV4500 with a die grinder.

Somebody from the NV4500 forum mentioned using a Dana 300, anyone know if this will work i.e. pass side drop, correct rotation etc. etc. ?

Edit: the rear output is a centered drop, will not do.

Last edited:
Well I have the NV4500 attached to an FJ60. It does have an advance adapter to connect the tranny to the engine. I just had everything resealed. The trany was sharing fluid with the transfer. I have owned many 4x4s and really like how I get a super low gear for climbing and the overdrive for highway. I dont know if there are other trannys that allow for this greater gear range. I have to assume there are. However my rig came with it and alot of other aftermarket items as well. I only had to put new leaf springs and shocks on for the ride. I changed the Starter with a rebuild. I also changed the power steering. It is not smogged and it has a rebuilt rear end and engine with 60 over pistons. I cant wait to get back from my deployment to see how well it runs with the rebuild done. I only went on to descibe it because I am proud to own such a dependable rig that I can do most of the work on myself. What kind of setup do you all have?

cool

cool stuff! Thanks for yours service BTW!! Be safe!!

I would like to test drive a ZF in a swap but I think with all the adapters and centered differential output it might not be a good fit in a 'cruiser. I wouldn't mind test driving any cruiser with a diesel swap!
I didn't drive it but checked out a blazer with a 4bt, ZF and a 205 t-case and it looked like a perfect fit. I hear the ZF has a nicer gear spread for the diesel.. I think the NV is tied for simplicity in swaps with the H55f and think it just comes down to cost, availabilty.

Well, its neat to see this old thread, and to update it, I have less then wonderful news.

After a few years with the NV4500/AA adpapter/Split case I can tell you this: I wouldnt use the AA adapter, I would rather a different transfercase based simply on the fact that Ive had issues with the adapter.

Its broken the $90 sealed bearing in it once, leaked fluid out of a hole I couldnt see from the front of the t-case, and now pushes all the fluid into the t-case till it runs low. As it is now I have to top up the transmission every 4-6 months, and the intervals seem to be getting shorter.

With the NV4500 from behind the cummins, they used a specific carbon fiber synchro disc which is particular about what kind of oil its in, for this trans it needs a $35CAD a bottle of oil, the case takes about 4 or 5 bottles from empty, this gets expensive after 3 or 4 fill ups. I believe the non cummins versions did not have the carbon fiber synchros though, so they dodnt need "magic synthetic oil" from what I understand.

I dont have any issues with the cruiser t-case, I have killed a clutch, a couple diffs and maybe some other parts, the split case held togther, but it did seem to have the two halves work a bit loose and leak pricey transmission oil, though Im not sure if its cause I used black gasket goop instead of a gasket, I did use thread lock but maybe some of the threads were still oily.

Ive heard some things about a land rover t-case. If I did it again I would either find a NV4500 with a transfercase on it, or take a better look at the rover t-case.

As you can probably tell, I am less then happy with what I got from AA, though I am glad they have options for the aftermarket crowd, perhaps they need to look at their R&D a bit better.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

That sucks... especially since I own one of those adapters and I thought to myself, " Hmmm, a sealed bearing surrounded by bearings swimming in lubricant- I hope it lasts"
Maybe that puts the H55f up a notch!
I think getting the stock drivetrain is a good idea so one can skip all the adapter issues.
I have an early Chevy Nv4500 and it still requires the high dollar fluid.
I do know the 6bt is a lot more motor than any of the stock OEM diesels and I'm hoping a 4bt isn't as hard on parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom