Who knows NV4500's really well? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I need to find out a few things about the NV4500...

Such as, which ones will bolt to a 91 cummins, I see there was a HD model for that motor, as well there are diesel GM variants, and then there are the models in gas fords and other GMs.

So will any of these bolt up to a cummins with a bellhousing made for the cummins?

Also how can I tell which models have different output shafts, i.e. 29, 30, 31 spline etc...

The reason I ask is my cruiser has a cummins bolted to an A440f, and it is spitting out flexplates every other week, and isnt cheap.

I will probally sell the A440f which I believe has the rodneys extreme valve body, which is currently bolted in. There are a few NV4500's for sale locally and I plan to use the AA transfer adapter but I need to know what Im looking for in terms of parts first.

Any info about your NV4500 or info at this point is helpful.

Thanks!!

My suggestion would be to find one that came in a dodge.

heard of 'em...just dont know squat about them...sorry, all i know is that its harder to put a NV4500 behind cruiser junk then a SM420 and the SM has lower gears so i stopped looken after that...

best i could advise is maybe check out the advanced adapters site, i think thay have got some NV4500 info on there...

heard of 'em...just dont know squat about them...sorry, all i know is that its harder to put a NV4500 behind cruiser junk then a SM420 and the SM has lower gears so i stopped looken after that...

best i could advise is maybe check out the advanced adapters site, i think thay have got some NV4500 info on there...

Thanks, i will call AA tommorrow, I emailed Priffits and had some helpful advice:

There is a big difference between the GM and Dodge NV4500's and they are not interchangeable.

So a dodge specific NV4500 is where I need to start. Then the adapter and clutch and pedal and starter. yay.

AFAIK, the 4500HD came behind the 3500's(1-ton) with PTO option. There's a couple spline options for both chevy and dodge. For the price of the 4500+t-case, why not just get a mildly built auto/torque convertor etc...?? I've got a '97 12valve with an auto, and 5-6 spd is what i'd prefer, and being where you're from talk to some of the tranny shops in the area, they'll have options for ya for sure. I know for a fact there's alot of Cummins guys in your area with great info and tips for you.
good luck!

Thanks, i will call AA tommorrow, I emailed Priffits and had some helpful advice:

There is a big difference between the GM and Dodge NV4500's and they are not interchangeable.

So a dodge specific NV4500 is where I need to start. Then the adapter and clutch and pedal and starter. yay.

sort of...the cases of dodge and chev 4500's are the same past late 94 to mid 95' iirc.the early chev models were the ones with the lower first gear and proprietary gear sets,as well as different spacing for the bellhousing mount bolts.

any case,past 95',will swap all parts between them...including the internals and output housings.
i have in my garage,right now,a hybrid dodge /chev 4500...basically i started with a dodge 4500 and ended up with a dodge that has a chev mainshaft/output and 1.250 dodge input and retainer.

all dodge diesel 4500's had the 1.250 input and retainer,regardless of year.the light duty versions had the smaller input (for the 360's).the shaft and retainer can be swapped out in less than 1/2 hour,but endplay should be checked.

i'm not aware of any ford to use the 4500...fords were exclusively ZF 5 and 6 speeds through the 90's and up to 2004' ish.chev also used a zf,but it's a wierd one...avoid it.

you need a post 95 4500,dodge prefered...the engine adapter or "plate",flywheel,bellhousing,and hardware.you can do some mixing and matching if you need to...chev output are 32 spline,dodge light duty's are 23 spline,and dodge heavy's are 29 spline.

mine's setup to run a round pattern chev np-205,behind a 6bt.chose your clutch wisely...i recomend southbend.for a trans shop...nadp here in edmonton has built all manner of custom 4500's.

Last edited:
Alright this is what I have learned from Advance Adapters, their kit (50-0224) will fit a 93-05 cummins NV4500. This will bolt up to a T-case up to 89, it will not bolt to a HF2A case from what he told me.

I have found most of the trans/clutch/bellhousing parts from one person but I forget the year of the parts, I will have call the guy back.

Aparently SOR sells a clutch pedal assembly, though I may have to get a cummins clutch master.

the dodge clutch master might be a bit of a bear to make work...the master has to have correct volume for the slave,so many swappers use a mid 90's ford master,which simply bolts to the firewall, and a custom line to the slave cylinder.the dodge master dosn't bolt directly to the firewall...iirc it has a sort of twist lock arrangement.not easy to swap.

the dodge clutch master might be a bit of a bear to make work...the master has to have correct volume for the slave,so many swappers use a mid 90's ford master,which simply bolts to the firewall, and a custom line to the slave cylinder.the dodge master dosn't bolt directly to the firewall...iirc it has a sort of twist lock arrangement.not easy to swap.

Sweet, could you be more specific about the master, i.e. year, model, gas/diesel or part#?

I will using a 60 or 80 series clutch pedal assembly, I have a few 60 series lined up but I am still hoping andwaiting for an 80 series.

Also, I need to check the Transfer case to make sure it is a split case and not a modified full time case. Anyone know about this, or how to easily identify? Maybe I will take pics and post them.

All the info is starting to help to line things up, Thanks :cheers:

Cody.

Also, I need to check the Transfer case to make sure it is a split case and not a modified full time case. Anyone know about this, or how to easily identify? Maybe I will take pics and post them.

All the info is starting to help to line things up, Thanks :cheers:

Cody.

Look under your 60 ( which has a split case ) and then look under the 80. If they look the same then you're good.

Last edited:
iv'e chosen to try a master from an 85' ford 1-ton f-350,and a slave for my year of 4500 (95'),and a southbend con-ofe 13" clutch.

napa part for the master is 39560
napa part number for slave is 360051

there are other master cyls' that may work better for your configuration...just try to make sure it has a high volume with a 7/8" bore...from what iv'e been able to find out,that bore size will work well with the stock dodge 1" bore slave.note that these modern masters and slaves use standard oem push lock fittings that use a small role pin to hold them in place.the line will be an issue.

just so you know,i havn't got mine in the truck yet...the custom line is a bit of a pickle,as i'm using russel clutch adapter fittings (part# 641001).these are push lock type fittings that transition to a -4AN end...they fit the ford master perfect,but won't fit the dodge slave without some work.(the fitting is slightly to large for the end of the slave).a tiny bit of machine work will be required for the fitting...then make your own line with -4 teflon/stainless braid hose.

oh...and hit up www.4btswaps.com all your 4bt and 6bt 4500 swap q's.loads of info on the site. there's a vendor on the site that sells premade hoses for the ford/dodge hybrid hydro setup.iv'e tryed to go my own way...we'll see how that goes :bang:

cheers :beer:

If its the original 1992 80 series t-case it is a HF2A not a "split case"

If its the original 1992 80 series t-case it is a HF2A not a "split case"

Ya, it is a part time case. PO install, I didnt know if it was a worked over HF2A or a 60 series case.

heres some pics, what do you think?

By the way, anyone interested in buying a fj80 with a cummins and fresh NV4500 in a few months?
IMG_8847.jpg
IMG_8848.jpg
IMG_8850.jpg

Definitely not a 60 series case. It may be a non US Part time 80 case but still not compatible w/ the AA Kit as far as i know.

Definitely not a 60 series case. It may be a non US Part time 80 case but still not compatible w/ the AA Kit as far as i know.

good to know, well not really good, but now I know.

Thanks.

Well it sounds like I have most of the parts lined up, except for the clutch pedal assembly.

Does anyone know if there is any problems bolting the stock driveshafts back up to a split case.

I have one lined up to replace the t-case in there, just wondering what other hoops that might need jumping through.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom