who keeps the title? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have two fj40

1971 and 1974. The 71 has the better frame. The 74 has the better tub.

1971 tub has a oem like vin sticker and a riveted plate that says bureau of automotive repair and shows a vin number (on the diver door side)

1974 has the vin plate riveted like most toyotas (on the diver door side)

id like to use the 71 frame with less rust with the 74 tub with no rust. I have both titles, but how do i proceed with the legality of vehicle registration...

The Vin that is “all important” is permanently stamped on the passenger side frame rail, in between the front bumper and front shock tower. Since the 71 frame is the best, you’ll need to swap the 71’s “A pillar” vin tag onto the 74 tub near the drivers door.

Your 71 also should have an id plackerd in the engine bay. It will be on the passenger side fender near the battery.

what about vin plates on frame? remove or swap

It is actually illegal ;)to cut and swap the frame VIN (in California anyway). No one on 'mud has ever done that to get a good frame and keep their original VIN.
;);)

As long as the frame numbers and title match, you can put any year tub on, it’s been done for decades and even here in Cali it’s ok!! You definitely can’t swap frame numbers by cut and weld, you will do some jail time!!

As long as the frame numbers and title match, you can put any year tub on, it’s been done for decades and even here in Cali it’s ok!! You definitely can’t swap frame numbers by cut and weld, you will do some jail time!!

It is a grey area on the "frame number swap". We all know FJ40's frames rust out a lot more in the rear than in the front. So, the frame stamp is in the front. Say I cut the front 20% and reweld the back 80% , what have I done. ? Maybe you cannot cut the square frame stamp but, rebuilding a frame using this piece qualifies as the vehicle. I know it is a grey area but the vehicle is the frame and the frame can be repaired if need be.

The 74 tub is going to have some differences, like the gas filler will be covered on the 74 and open on the 71. I think the fresh air vent on the cowl should be functional on the 71 and sealed on the 74 etc....

what about vin plates on frame? remove or swap

Crap. I meant the tub. I was in a rush. I was going out of town. Lol, there is no plate on the frame. I meant the plates in the tub.

They are different. Looks like the 71 is more of a sticker. Cant be removed.... ill shoot some pics when i get home. Im outnof town...

Post photos of both rigs. Might be best to keep them together and sell the 74 to fund the tub repairs on the 71...or vice versa. They both should have vin numbers on the frame. Passenger side frame rail, front, behind bumper, on the side.

The 71 should also have the vin in two other places. There's an aluminum plate attached to the passenger fender, in the engine bay roughly under the battery. There is also one in the drivers door jamb, A pillar, stamped aluminum too. Pretty sure the engine bay tag is attached with screws, A pillar with rivets.

Not sure where the 74 tags would be. It's all in the FAQ section!!

74 oem plate

EA069271-C9B4-4585-B279-9E8C685299AE.jpeg

And the 71 replacement

EA51AD58-5F62-4FDD-A210-C0950FD32DED.jpeg

255C8700-48C1-4432-953A-D5E48D2B4D20.jpeg

Cant be swapped

In Cali Vin always follows the frame. if you use another tub, vin plates will be removed and a blue tag will be installed (2nd picture) installed by California Highway Patrol.

It is actually illegal ;)to cut and swap the frame VIN (in California anyway). No one on 'mud has ever done that to get a good frame and keep their original VIN.
;);)

ISO a good welder!

In Cali Vin always follows the frame. if you use another tub, vin plates will be removed and a blue tag will be installed (2nd picture) installed by California Highway Patrol.

well i guess this fj comes from cali. Im in Tennessee, the easiest option will be not to swap frames...

That 71 does not even look lke Toyota. It may have been re-issued from another state or TN. Do what you need to do, DO NOt post up after you have done what you need to do and keep getting it. Most DMV or Police officers will not know to look at the frame. Unless it is a complete restoration I would not worry about it.

Here is a pic of my 1973 FJ40 titled, registered, insured, and tagged here in VA.

4573%20PRERUNNING 2016 koh.jpg

Can someone post a picture of where the Frame VIN tag is. I don’t see one. The DVM in Colorado just used the door tag when I bought it.

Thanks

Don't have a pic right now, but, it's not a 'tag', it's stamped directly into the outside of the right front frame horn, just ahead of the round hole on the side, where the cross member intersects the frame.
Sometimes it's invisible under multiple coats of paint or 'faded' due to rust, or work done by the PO like sanding, grinding or sandblasting. Or a combination of these issues.
I've also seen the VIN hidden under homemade frame stiffening plates.

Last edited:
Very kind of you, P.O. sprayed some type of rust protection layer covers it all.

But then the DVM does not even though these things. The door plate was fine with them.

My papers match the door plate. I've got no documentation that shows the frame number. I've kept the reciept from the Auto wreckers documenting how I legally purchased it. I hope to never need it... never had anyone look for a frame number in the last 26+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom