Who is running an RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The
One last thing for the bowfin rack. I can drive in the barn and take off tent and rack in 5 min or less. His design of the latches is the best. As fast as you can walk down the sides you can unlock the rack. Hook up two pulleys and lift.

I do agree that bowfine rack design is very nice however I’m a bit paranoid about the latch come loose or someone just unlock them as a prank or theft.

For people doing the 2 crossbars check out gamviti’s gutter mounts, best I’ve seen and super stout with 2 height options. 4 of these and couple of good quality square steel tubes you got yourself base for your RTT that are much stronger and cheaper.
Rain Gutter Towers — Gamiviti

Maggiolina Medium RTT on two Rhino Rack Rails & Batwing Awning works really well.

IMG_7046.jpeg

IMG_7111.jpeg

The Bowfin rack can't just be instanlty unlatched intentionally or accidentally when the lock down bolts are in. They add a lot of strength to the assembly also.

bowfin has a small hole in each latch to add a bolt or lock but its not gonna open on its own
The

I do agree that bowfine rack design is very nice however I’m a bit paranoid about the latch come loose or someone just unlock them as a prank or theft.

For people doing the 2 crossbars check out gamviti’s gutter mounts, best I’ve seen and super stout with 2 height options. 4 of these and couple of good quality square steel tubes you got yourself base for your RTT that are much stronger and cheaper.
Rain Gutter Towers — Gamiviti

and yes, with a rack and RTT the weight is noticable, does not stop the truck form doing anything but its very notciable especially with a lift over 3in

I ran 4 Yakima load bars for a few reasons. There was a lot of flex with just 2 load bars and a lot of weight on only 4 points of the rain gutter when the tent is occupied. I have a full length ARB rack but didn’t want to cut it up so the tent would open.

I’ve been really happy with this setup so far and it’s very strong. If I could change anything about it I wish it was a little lower but it’s not bad.

EBCD73AA-C57C-46D1-B352-1B5EB5F3137B.jpeg

Just as a cheaper alternative. When I got my RTT and my rack was being re welded, I just used some gutter mounts and two 2x4s for the cross bars. Super simple, super cheap, light weight, Rustproof, and I could cut, drill, and mod as needed. I eventually threw them out when my full rack was done. You could paint it black if you really wanted it to match.

I might go that route again. It looked so ghetto fabulous, I don’t think anyone even thought about messing with my truck when I parked it. But then I again, for that truck, I liked it to look like a beater. It didn’t draw much attention when out and about. It ran like a top and all maintenenace was performed as needed, but it looked kinda like a junker.
Function over form, I guess.

Full Baja rack, flat.
XXL Grand raid by James Baroud
HItents awning

Gutter mounts.
Death Valley washboards tested, Rubicon twisted, Pismo blasted.

pablo cadillac 18.JPG

3500 gofastcampers is making a 6 inch tall merican made rtt that bolt up to land cruiser no rack soon.
Wholly crap 3500+prb 500 for the mount? Thats some coin to put down for an rtt. For that price i'd rather see an interior access camper like the ursa minor has for the wrangler.

I just made two crossbars from some gutter mounts I had from an old rack on my 60 and some square tubing. Works just fine and saved me some $$.

I made one at home. Spent about 500 on materials. The key item was the @TRAIL TAILOR gutter mounts. But any aftermarket gutter mounts will work. These are beefy as hell though.
Here is a mall crawling pic with some eye candy and a shot of the side.
I used 1.5 x 2 inch x 84 inch long aluminum C, and the crossbars are all 51 inch, t slot extrusion, like the prinsu uses.
20181017_145325.jpg

E570A306-1879-42A4-941A-C34D14A00739.jpeg
Bowfin is great rack, has never come loose. Rack sits very low. Pat is great guy and his dog rocks too. @dogfishlake

Reactions: RFB
My 80/RTT contribution. Started with a Tepui on a Expo Baja Rack, then to a JB Grand Raid on a Rhino Rack Pioneer, then to the iKamper Skycamp. Rhino Rack sits an inch or two up from the roof and its fairly lightweight. Have added front, side and rear lights to the rack. Shovel, awning, antenna too. I’ve seen the Bowfin Rack and it is really nice as well!
48F8C45F-D219-4C2C-8695-CBCC7469E0B5.jpeg
90A99714-9032-4E16-95D0-F86485D72C24.jpeg
47797C61-DE47-44A8-916C-46BE69DF85A6.jpeg
3C983746-2030-40E1-BF77-6C326FC46EA5.jpeg
89576D3A-407A-411D-97F1-6BB7B1F9A72F.jpeg

I have an Eezi Awn RTT and K9 Rack, as well as an Eezi Awn 270 degree awning. It's cool that it's all part of the same system. Also, the K9 rack has a slot to store a table between the roof and the rack. The Eezi Awn tables are extremely expensive, but I made some simple modifications to hold a standard Home Depot table. I love it. The rack extends past the RTT with room for more storage like a jerry can, bags, or aluminium boxes.
IMG_20180819_070859.jpg
MVIMG_20180707_152845.jpg
MVIMG_20180325_131858.jpg

Load bars will work for mounting a tent. Can be a cheaper option if you find some used ones. But there are good quality full platform racks out there that won't be too much more than buying a new set of loadbars and feet. The Bowfin rack is nice. I have the Prinsu rack that inspired the Bowfin. If weight is a concern the Prinsu is awesome. It's only about 40lbs (all aluminum) and can be moved by yourself if you need to remove it. It's excellent for mounting a tent and you get the benefit of a rack when you're not running the tent. Load bars won't necessarily give you the ability to carry roof loads.
IMG_7244 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_7231 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_7245 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_7254 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_6842 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_0191 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom