Whine at highway speeds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
By whine, I mean a noise and not a drink....anyway, I've noticed my Father-in-law, my brother-in-law and my FJ62's all have a sort of high pitch "whine" while at highway speeds. I thought maybe it was the blower motor something like that, but if you put it in neutral while it's making the noise, it goes away. Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm making sense on this. Thanks.

Could it be tire whine? I also developed quite an audible whine when my transmission shop forgot to top of the gear oil in the Transfer Case... but very soon after the whine began, I was pulled over on the side of the road with a fried TC.... So at least check to see if your TC is full of oil. I *believe* I have also heard that the diffs will whine when they are fixing to go as well.... but I may be mistaken.

Thanks TCB, I'm positive that it's not tire whine because if I put it in neutral at highway speeds, the whine goes away, but I'll look at the TC and diff. Any other comments or suggestions?

adidasprof said:
By whine, I mean a noise and not a drink....anyway, I've noticed my Father-in-law, my brother-in-law and my FJ62's all have a sort of high pitch "whine" while at highway speeds. I thought maybe it was the blower motor something like that, but if you put it in neutral while it's making the noise, it goes away. Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm making sense on this. Thanks.

I don't know what's making your in-laws whine ( ;p ), but I've heard the worn idler shaft bearing in the tcase whines when worn, and mine's doing it at 170k...I need to have it rebuilt soon. DD says as long as it shifts from HI to LO you're ok.

Thanks flowman, mine has around 170k on it right now too, but my father-in-laws 62 only has 75k on it. But you don't think it's a pressing issue?

I've seen it where the pinion bearings are getting ready to go out they start whinning. Don't ask how i know.

tcb said:
Could it be tire whine? I also developed quite an audible whine when my transmission shop forgot to top of the gear oil in the Transfer Case... but very soon after the whine began, I was pulled over on the side of the road with a fried TC.... So at least check to see if your TC is full of oil. I *believe* I have also heard that the diffs will whine when they are fixing to go as well.... but I may be mistaken.

What do you mean "top it off" can you fill it up more after the fill hole?

No, sorry for any confusion.... the shop basically sent me out with a half filled t-case..... and the t-case didn't like it very much.

Mine whines to but all of my fluids are topped off. I can still shift into high and low so check the fluids and see if it shifts then don't worry about it till it makes a clunk sound.

My FJ62 whines also that I'd checked and thought that it's from T/C rear output bearing.
So I'd overhauled my T/C but it didn't stop whining.
After comprehensive research, I finally found that it's from rear diffrential's pinion bearing.
My FJ62's whining started after 3 hours of high-speed driving on the newly built good highway .(About 140~160 km/h)

Hey im only 16 but i bought a 1989 62 and seems like we have the same problem. I was driving to charleston when the whine started and it would stop at about 2500rpms or 70 mph. My problem was a loose belt way down in the engine that i couldent get to on the side of the road. Dont know if that helps but its a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom