While I'm in there... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.showmerents.com
Looking for advice. My 470,000 98 needs lower ball joints. I'm going to pull it in my shop and work on it in my spare time. What would you recommend I do while in there. I've read multiple threads on control arms vs bushings. I'd like to get this cruiser to a million on the original engine.

You really need to inspect everything first before deciding what to replace. @2001LC has very through instructions in his threads for how to inspect the front end to make sure it is all up to date. The common list typically includes:
  • Steering Rack Bushings
  • Lower and upper control arm bushings
  • Lower and Upper ball joints
  • Wheel Bearings
  • Sway Bar Bushings and End Connectors

Considering the simplicity of replacing ball joints, there's not any "while you're in there" stuff , because you can replace the ball joints without even removing the control arms. If you just feel like taking everything apart, then there's a bunch of stuff you can replace. How deep do you want to go? That is the question that needs answered.

If you just feel like taking everything apart, then there's a bunch of stuff you can replace. How deep do you want to go? That is the question that needs answered.
^^^^

Yep, that's the question. ;)

Front parts2.jpg

frt parts ready1.jpg

It will be here for a while.

0818211707_HDR.jpg

Pretty much this list and below..

These photos make me cringe a bit. In my head I'm cussing, sweating, beating stuff with a hammer, bandaging cut hands, stopping for beer break, etc.
Also I love it at the same time.

I'm retired and have other transportation, so not an issue for me.

And I have lots of this:

Dos Equis XX.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom