Which Pertronix Ignitor kit? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi guys, I have a 1984 FJ45 (2F) and I've read a lot here about the Pertronix Ignitor conversion kit. I went on their website and they have 3 options: mechanical advance, vacuum advance, and lobe sensor.
I searched among the threads but I couldn't find what exact models you are using...! Which one do I have to buy? I think I'll also add the flame thrower coil, since I'm opening the hood... 🤷‍♂️
Thank you very much 👍🏻

hi,,

I run the 1665A,, in my 40 with a Toyota distributor 19100-61080,,

I believe its good practical update to traditional points,, just be sure when mounting that the hardware doesn't lock down the breaker plate and keep it from rotating ,,

post a pic of what dizzy you have or plan on running,, as it may be different.

Last edited:
hi,,

I run the 1665A,, in my 40 with a Toyota distributor 19100-61080,,

I believe its good practical update to traditional points,, just be sure when mounting that the hardware doesn't lock down the breaker plate and keep it from rotating ,,

post a pic of what dizzy you have or plan on running,, as it may be different.
Thank you very much! I have this distributor, the coil was replaced yesterday.. Do you think I should upgrade the coil to Flame Thrower? Maybe the high performance one? I don't mind the small expense if it also gives a little bit of increase in performance/reliability!
IMG_20220306_205026.jpg

IMG_20220306_204839.jpg

IMG_20220306_204802.jpg

IMG_20220306_205026.jpg

IMG_20220306_204937.jpg

Last edited:
I think I know which Pertronix you need, let me look into it some more.

Here are some photos to start. The first photo is a non-US small cap distributor that's pretty much the same as yours. The second photo compares two F engine distributors that I refurbished, one has the early breaker plate and the other one I modified to use the later breaker plate like the one in your distributor. The third photo is an early 2F distributor with the original breaker plate, notice that the points are the same as in the F engine distributor with the later breaker plate. The fourth photo shows an early 2F distributor with a Pertronix installed. That's the unit you need - the points mounting holes and points/cam geometry are the same as in your distributor. I'll look up the Pertronix part number now.

Non-US-Distributor.jpg

F-Distributor-Points-Modification.jpg

'77-2F-Distributor-4.jpg

'77-2F-Pertronix-Distributor-2.jpg

Here you go. Either will work.

Here you go. Either will work.

Thank you very much! I was thinking of the 91662, then I read the Lobe Sensor thread, and I got more confused because I don't know what a lobe sensor is and there was a lot of technical speech that I didn't understand..! I was about to order the 91662, now you suggest the 91662LS. Here in Amazon UAE I can have delivered the normal 91662, without LS. Will it work? Should I absolutely look for the LS? Please note that I want a "ignitor II" system, not a normal one, for the adaptive stuff, key on, etc... Sorry, I don't have enough technical skills to understand 100% the difference between kits, that's why I ask things that might seem dumb!

The lobe sensing version doesn't need the black piece that slips over the cam. I think I have a photo of a distributor with a 91662LS installed. I'll check.

The lobe sensing version doesn't need the black piece that slips over the cam. I think I have a photo of a distributor with a 91662LS installed. I'll check.
I really appreciate all the details but, technically speaking, my knowledge is close to zero. In UAE I can source a 91662 but not a 91662LS. My question is:
Can I buy the 91662 or, for some reasons, it won't work and I absolutely need the LS version?
Please, just say "go ahead with the 91662" or "no, only the LS will work".
I'm getting a bit paralyzed with all the technical details in front of me and I don't understand if the 91662 will work anyway.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom