Which Grease for Front Axle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read the many threads on front axles rebuilds. Here is my situation:
I have new axles and birfields from Longfield. The Birfields came pre packed with grease.
I called the supplier and was told the grease they use is Redline Synthetic wheel bearing grease.
So I am seeking input. Do I pack the trunnion with NLGI 2 Moly grease? And have two different
types of grease. Do I pack the trunnion with some Valvoline NLGLI 2 Synthetic grease which more closely matches the Redline? or Do I pack the trunnion with Mobil 1 Red wheel bearing grease (which I do not believe is NLGI 2 rated) which matchs the Redline. The supplier told me to use the Mobil 1 Synthetic but was not sure about NLGI rating. Am I over analyzing this?

It's a rabbit hole, but the simple answer is the birfields need moly, and quite a bit of it. I cannot imagine why a manufacturer would pre-pack them with grease that isn't moly fortified, but if that's the case then I'd clean it out and use moly grease. Some people use the same grease throughout the front knuckles, including the bearings. Others say no moly in the bearings.

In my area Valvoline grease seems to be the easiest to come by, so that's what I use. They make a few different moly fortified greases.

Thanks for the advice so far. I justed looked up the Redline wheel bearing grease and the Redline CV-2 contains moly.
So I think that if I can source the Redline CV-2 I should be fine. Also the Valvoline Sythetic grease also has moly so that might be ok too.
The Valvoline is black color...
Agree that the Birfs need moly. Typically wheel bearing dont use moly as it is too slick and keeps them from rotating resulting in flat spots. That is why the Birfs get moly and the wheel bearings get wheel bearing grease like mobil !.

When you say Longfields did you get RCV's or Trailgears? RCV told me their birfs were packed with a proprietary high moly synthetic. Not knowing the base, I cleaned them out and used Redline CV-2 for everything. It doesn't have as much moly as is called for but I haven't had any issues.

1418172332918-jpg.1003580

1417560715963-jpg.1000475

The small amount of moly your typical grease contains (sub 5%) will not cause skating.

I've used moly in the front wheel bearings of an FJ80 for years. Didn't know I wasn't supposed to! I've never seen evidence of an issue. The bearings always look good . Probably won't change now but always happy for new information .

Valvoline Palladium

Thanks for all info. The Grease guide was helpful as was the compatiblity chart. I think I will proceed to find the Redline CV-2 and if not, clean out and repack with Valvoline synthetic + moly (SynPower). My Longfields are Trail Gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom