Which differential kit brand do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Which brand of Overhaul Kit?

• Yukon Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA Standard Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FineWynsFJ40

Too much to do...
Threads
Hello all. I need to overhaul my rear differential and I'm wondering which brand of rebuild kit to get. I see Nitro Gear & Axle, Sierra Gear, and the Yukon/USA Standard kits available from various vendors. Does anyone have any experience or input as to which is recommended? The pinion seal and bearings are shot, which is what prompted this, but since I am in there I figured I'd go ahead and do a full rebuild on the carrier and rear wheel bearings and axle seals as well. I have searched but not found this specific question discussed.

Thank you, that is all. :beer:

Brian

I used Nitro when I rebuilt both axles. I did order solid spacer and new flanges because I also installed new gears along with Arb air lockers.

While you are in there it is the perfect time to convert to solid spacer. Its a bit more work now but you will thank me if you ever have to replace the seal or flange again. Randys R&P has always been a good choice. I have done many Sierra installs and never had any issues.

Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit kit has all Koyo and other OEM bearings, for a good price too. And you'd be supporting one of the better Mud vendors.

While you are in there it is the perfect time to convert to solid spacer. Its a bit more work now but you will thank me if you ever have to replace the seal or flange again. Randys R&P has always been a good choice. I have done many Sierra installs and never had any issues.

If the 1974 ring and pinion are stock, the pinion is stepped, and already acts like a 'solid spacer'.

This was true with 4.11/3.70 gear sets to 05/85

If the 1974 ring and pinion are stock, the pinion is stepped, and already acts like a 'solid spacer'.

This was true with 4.11/3.70 gear sets to 05/85
Yes if the axles are stock.

Terrain Tamer

Axles are indeed original. All of this is good info, I really appreciate it.

Essentially, what I'm taking away from this is that it doesn't necessarily matter which specific brand, but buy from a trusted supplier. As soon as the next quarterly bonus comes out I'm taking the plunge. Hopefully you won't see a follow-up thread to this asking "What did I screw up in my rear diff and how do I fix it?!"

Thanks much guys :beer:
Brian

Every Rearend shop near me will only use Sierra gear as they have the lowest warranty rate with the least number of customer complaints.

On that point alone I use sierra, and I too haven't had a single issue.

Well, I made my purchase. I went with the Terrain Tamer kit from Cruiser Brothers. OEM Koyo bearings, all the gaskets and seals are made in Australia, and I figured if it's good enough for the Australian bush, it's good enough for me. Plus, those guys at Cruiser Brothers have great customer service - Ward was very helpful in figuring out what I needed. Clint called me when he was packing the box to confirm once more what specific axle it was for to make sure he included the correct shim kit. And Georg threw in a couple of the Allen head magnetic drain plugs for good measure. We are very fortunate to have guys like them to turn to.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Brian

Well, I made my purchase. I went with the Terrain Tamer kit from Cruiser Brothers. OEM Koyo bearings, all the gaskets and seals are made in Australia, and I figured if it's good enough for the Australian bush, it's good enough for me. Plus, those guys at Cruiser Brothers have great customer service - Ward was very helpful in figuring out what I needed. Clint called me when he was packing the box to confirm once more what specific axle it was for to make sure he included the correct shim kit. And Georg threw in a couple of the Allen head magnetic drain plugs for good measure. We are very fortunate to have guys like them to turn to.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Brian
Thanks for the order, Brian!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom