Which batteries should I get for a for a 24v system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which batteries for a for a 24v system? Red Top Optima?

Yesterday when I left work, my batteries barely had the juice to start my truck at 7-8' celsius outside. I thought I had left my lights on or something (which I don't think I did). Ran around all last night and they charged up. Started and stopped just fine, but the truck was warm.

This morning at 0' there were dead.
I could barley turn the truck over.
Almost started, but it never quite caught.
They read about 22-22.5 volts before glow plugs cycled on.
Then after the plugs cycled they barley had 20.
Started dropping fast from there.
I think I am currently sitting around 18v after it sits for 5 min.

I also use my truck a few times a day.
So its not like there where sitting and draining from no use.
I also know my alternator is good, because I show full voltage when running.

Anyways, I need new batteries. The batteries in the truck may or may not be under warranty, but the closest Interstate Batteries dealer is 4 hours away (Calgary).

I am thinking another pair of Optima's.
I measured my space. I got 12" deep, 7" wide and about 7.5" tall.
I am thinking the biggest two red tops I can get.
I know its important to get identical batteries.

I live in Cranbrook BC, so it does get somewhat cold here (down to about -35') with an average being -15 to -20. I also do have an electric winch, but I always run the engine while winching (when I can anyways :) ), and with 2 batteries I should have more than enough juice for a self recovery without engine power.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

Last edited:
Do a searcha and you will find most prefer the oddessy(spelling?), Landpimp really prefers them to the Optimas.

I just took a look here:
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
I am thinking the model 34 red top.

My HDJ81 had a model 34 and 34r (reverse post).
Greg or Sheldon: I hope you are enjoying them. :)

Cheers,
Nick

don't skimp on batteries, et the biggest you can fit into the trays. i run dual 1030CCA battteries in all the rigs i sell and own. i get a great price from Napa so that is where i buy mine ($105 for batteries they sell at $170). i never have a problem and they come with a great warranty. i just went down and brought back my Jeep J54 from Ontario. i sent it down with brand new batteries and only drove it 2 weeks of the year. there must have been a drain somewhere since the batteries were dead and wouldn't take a charge. i took them in (with the reciept that i stick on the side of them in a lable folder) and no questions asked i got 2 brand new ones with a further 3 year warranty.
soem will say the red top is good and although i am not a big fan of optimas i did have very good service from a pair i had in my old diesel ford truck/
cheers

Just called around town.
Wal-Mart is the only place in town the sells optima's :mad:

Anyways, they only carry the model 34/78 which is a top and side post.
They have 3 in stock and want $204 each! :eek:

I never knew they were so much!
Ouch! I guess I get what I pay for.

Cheers,
Nick

I gave up trying to run red top optimas on my HJ61. Nothing but problems with them. three diffrent set. Always a problem in the cold.

I went with the biggest kirkland battery that I could fit from Costco. I beleive they are made by Johnson. So far a great battery and they are on the second winter. And fairly cheep at under $100 and a great 8 year warranty with full replacement for the first three (I think). My third battery is a bluetop that has held up well in the truck.

I still run redtops on my 12V stuff...OOPS I don't own any 12 volt stuff ;)

Just called around town.
Wal-Mart is the only place in town the sells optima's :mad:

Anyways, they only carry the model 34/78 which is a top and side post.
They have 3 in stock and want $204 each! :eek:

The guy at Batteries+ near me mentioned that Optima recently switch to controlling their pricing. CostCo used to have great pricing on Optimas; now it's not so good.

Thanks guys.
The price seems okay.
I see I can get them for $155 USD shipped in the US.
So I do expect it to be a little more in Canada.

I am wondering about how a Optima will do on a 24v system.
I know Wal-mart Canada (used to anyways) offered a 10year optional warranty on them.
I will go for that if I can. I will also stress how they need to be replaced as a pair.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Nick, are the battery terminals clean? I'd do that first and see what happens before dropping $400 on batteries.

Nick, are the battery terminals clean? I'd do that first and see what happens before dropping $400 on batteries.

Yes, they are clean.
I already looked at that this morning.
Ground is good too.

They just have no power.
They got worse real fast.
As first it would crank slow.
Then it would only turn over 2 or 3 times.
Volt meter shows under 12 volts when cranking.

I might be able to have them warrantied at an interstate dealer.
But Stone might have to do it. Either way, I need batteries now.

If I am going to spend the money, I want something good.

Cheers,
Nick

Firstly, did you at any time disconnect any of the cables to your battery bank? When you installed your winch, or any other accessories since you received the truck, did you have to disconnect the positive or ground from the battery bank to disconnect the batteries?

And if you did, did you disconnect the Solar Converter in the proper sequence and reconnect them in the proper sequence while doing so? If you didn't, then the Solar Converter has probably popped a fuse inside and is no longer doing its job.

Secondly, don't take a voltage reading from your whole battery bank to judge the health of your batteries. Take individual readings from each battery. To do this, you put the (+) and (-) probes of your voltmeter to each battery's (+) and (-) posts. You can leave them connected in series to take these readings, but do not use chassis ground. What are the individual readings of each battery after your truck has been sitting for a while?

Another quick test for the Solar Converter as I have it installed in your truck, is to put the HD Marine Switch under the hood to "OFF" (to force the Solar Converter into strict step-down mode) and hit your alarm button to see if your 12V accessories still work. If they do, then the fuse inside the converter is probably still okay and not popped.

I have had those batteries in there for a long time, and I have even accidentally left my headlights on for a few hours a few times because the BJ74 doesn't have a light minder, and the truck has started fine. I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden they are pooched just like that. Something must have happened. Go do these tests as quickly as you can and come back to us with the results...

Good luck.

Hello Stone,

Okay, I will try doing these things at lunch.
I have not disconnected anything.
It's still as I got it from you.

I will go home at lunch and try and turn the converter to straight convert mode (OFF on the switch) and see if 12v still works. The green light still comes on with the converter. Would it come on if a fuse blew?

Cheers,
Nick

The green light is still comes on with the converter. Would it come on if a fuse blew?

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick:

Yes, the Solar Converter that is in your truck is one of the earlier models with a single green LED indicator light. The green LED simply means that the circuit board is happy that it's receiving voltage. It does not indicate that the fuse inside has blown and is no longer able to put out the low side voltage needed for load balancing or step down conversion. That means that anytime you have the high side lead hooked up to 24V, the green LED will light up.

You have the receipt for the Interstate batteries...and on the chance that they are now dead, you can just take that with you and warranty them. No need to tell them you're not me if they don't ask.

Another thing you can do is to carefully remove the covers on the batteries and check the fluid levels inside. Use distilled water to top them up if low. While you have the covers off, you can easily take a peek and see what condition the plates are in. When batteries are dead they generally are sulphated, and you will be able to see heavy white buildup on the plates.

Stone

It does not indicate that the fuse inside has blown and is no longer able to put out the low side voltage needed for load balancing or step down conversion. That means that anytime you have the high side lead hooked up to 24V, the green LED will light up.

Thanks Stone,
I will check all this at lunch.

What type of fuse does it take inside?
Just a normal 20 amp?

Also, something I noticed last night when my battery died:
The solor converter would cut out when I turned my headlights on.
I pressumed because the batteries were dead and it shut itself off due to low voltage.
After 20 seconds of running (batteries where charging) it would stay on.

Cheers,
Nick

Also, something I noticed last night when my battery died:
The solor converter would cut out when I turned my headlights on.
I pressumed because the batteries were dead and it shut itself off due to low voltage.
After 20 seconds of running (batteries where charging) it would stay on.

Cheers,
Nick

Just a regular fuse, Nick.

Could you explain a little more about this issue? How did you know that the Solar Converter was cutting out? What did you see?

Also, please make sure for me that the three quick connects (24V, 12V, and Ground) from the Solar Converter to your battery bank are nice and tight.

Thanks.

Stone

Could you explain a little more about this issue? How did you know that the Solar Converter was cutting out? What did you see?

Also, please make sure for me that the three quick connects (24V, 12V, and Ground) from the Solar Converter to your battery bank are nice and tight.

Thanks.

Stone

Already checked the connections were tight.

Yesterday after work when I started the truck, it did not turn over very well. It barely started. My CD player started right away and started playing music. When I turned the headlights on (3 or 4 seconds after starting) the CD player died. So I turned the headlights off, and the CD player came back on. Turned the lights on again and the CD player died, so I turned the lights off and the CD player came back. Waited 20 seconds and both worked.

I thought the solar converter might of shut itself off due to low voltage.
But now I am thinking it was the CD player that shut itself off(due to low voltage), because the converter was in balance mode.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Nick, just looking at the terminals is not enough. Sometimes you need to remove them, wire brush them clean and put them back on. It happens ALL the time in Guatemala.

don't skimp on batteries, et the biggest you can fit into the trays. i run dual 1030CCA battteries in all the rigs i sell and own.

Hey Wayne can you tell me the name and part number? Also is it a fit for a 60?

I'm not sold on optimas or any other fancy battery. Batteries are batteries. IMOP. You either pop the top to fill with water or they are gel.

To me the bigger the better if you want good batteries.

I run a pair of orbital gel batteries. Never had any issues them them. The local 4x4 shop told me that they were having warranty issues with optima (This was a few years ago) and to stay clear of them. Orbital is carried at Canadian tire as well.

Rab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom