12/24V Switchover Relay - How does it work? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

Could someone explain to me how exactly the 12/24V relay works based on the FSM wiring diagram.

As far as I can tell from the diagram:
1. + from the LH battery connects to the first (left hand) terminal on the 12/24 switchover relay and directly to terminal C on the starter
2. - from the LH battery connects to chassis and to the second terminal on the relay
3. + from the RH battery connects to the third terminal on the relay
4. the fourth terminal on the relay connects directly to ground chassis

So if the +12V from the LH battery is always connected to the starter, and the starter grounds to the chassis, what does the relay do to give 24V to the starter?

UPDATE: Looks like there is a major error in the FSM diagram I posted - the starter battery (LH) does NOT connect directly to chassis ground, it only connects to ground via the 12/24 relay.

- When the relay is off, LH- is grounded to chassis.
- When the relay is on, LH- is connected to RH+, thus putting them in series and creating 24V on the lead from the LH battery to the starter relative to chassis ground from the RH battery.

1710959196247.png

Last edited:
It is a little hard to tell from that diagram, here is a post I made a few years ago that has diagrams from another manual that are a little easier to follow:
Post in thread 'HDJ81 24v Starting System Issues'
HDJ81 24v Starting System Issues - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81-24v-starting-system-issues.975039/post-12033740
Looks like there is a major error in the FSM diagram I posted - the starter battery does NOT connect to chassis ground, it only connects to ground via the 12/24 relay.

When the relay is off, LH- is connected to chassis.
When the relay is on, LH- is connected to RH+, thus putting them in series and creating 24V on the lead from the LH battery to the starter relative to chassis ground from the RH battery.

Yeah, that was confusing me too. The relay essentially switches the ground side of one battery from chassis ground to the positive side of the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom