Which alternator for my 1HZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There seems to be a lot of range in alternators. Anywhere from a lower cost Bosch to a Denso from Terraintamer or the OEM (which is apparently made of platinum and coated in gold and precious stones, according to the price tag).

Anyone have any suggestions? Only one battery to charge in a 2000 Troopy (no fridges, stoves, or missile launchers).

Thanks, all.

You have a 12v system, obviously. I went with a 110amp bosch option, as I have never had issues with their products (I have used many of their glows). I forget the price of the OEM price, but I think I recall I could buy 8 bosch alternators for the same money, lol.

If you really want to maintain OEM, then I would recommend getting yours rebuilt by a very good automotive electrical shop that you trust. Good luck with whatever choice you make! :cheers:

We go through probably 20 Denso units a week (starters and alternators). I can count on one hand how many have failed over 10 years. It is very low.

@Rigster made a good point on rebuilding. Our local rebuilder undercharges big time. $180 for absolutely everything rebuilt and also heat painted to look brand new out of the box. Incredible.

Hello,

You can have the alternator rebuilt at a local shop.

Denso is essentially OEM and just as reliable.

A takeoff alternator is also a good option, and not as expensive as the OEM one.

I would choose between Denso and a takeoff unit and I would keep the rebuilt alternator as a spare.

Juan

I got a Terrain Tamer alternator via Cruiser Brothers. 100a I believe. I upgraded to make it easier to charge two batteries while running lights and other accessories. It's been rock solid so far.

If you have a good rebuilder nearby that is a good option. I went to a rebuilder with the alternator from my previous 2H motor and they completely butchered it. I was burned by that experience so I just bought a new one this time around.

I got a Terrain Tamer alternator via Cruiser Brothers. 100a I believe. I upgraded to make it easier to charge two batteries while running lights and other accessories. It's been rock solid so far.

If you have a good rebuilder nearby that is a good option. I went to a rebuilder with the alternator from my previous 2H motor and they completely butchered it. I was burned by that experience so I just bought a new one this time around.
Nothing worse than getting burned by a bad shop. To be completely honest, I would happily pay others to do a lot of the mechanical work on my vehicles, but I have lost track of how many times I get it back and it was not done correctly. So I just do it myself. Especially on the LC.

Finding an old-school mechanic that can diagnose and fix problems without a computer to tell them what to do is like finding an oasis when you are parched and near death. So refreshing.

thanks for all the input, gentlemen, much appreciated.

i may be leaning towards the TT unit, if cruiser bros have one in stock. shipping something from down under all the way to Panama is rough (i've done it when no other option was available), so if something is available in the U.S. it's much more feasible. i looked up the part number for the bosch unit they sell in australia, but it doesn't seem to be available in the States. maybe someone here has a line on that. i like the idea of a rebuild, but that kind of detailed work can be very tough to find down here. like rigster says, lots of people say they can do the job, but can they do it well? a good, honest mechanic is a precious commodity.

thanks again for all the info.

Finding an old-school mechanic that can diagnose and fix problems without a computer to tell them what to do is like finding an oasis when you are parched and near death. So refreshing.
Agreed. I don't blame them, though. All these old timers spent a lifetime building up skills and knowledge only to charge $50 for it. Why would their kids ever want to follow that path? I see it every day in the industry. Really sad.

There seems to be a lot of range in alternators. Anywhere from a lower cost Bosch to a Denso from Terraintamer or the OEM (which is apparently made of platinum and coated in gold and precious stones, according to the price tag).

Anyone have any suggestions? Only one battery to charge in a 2000 Troopy (no fridges, stoves, or missile launchers).

Thanks, all.
Hello,

You can have the alternator rebuilt at a local shop.

Denso is essentially OEM and just as reliable.

A takeoff alternator is also a good option, and not as expensive as the OEM one.

I would choose between Denso and a takeoff unit and I would keep the rebuilt alternator as a spare.

Juan

hi Phillip and Juan , :)

- this is my take on the 1HZ Alternator topic , in fact it's my general take on ALL Land Cruiser Genuine
NipponDenso Japan Spec. Alternators and Starters too ...
- new OEM , or a Genuine TOYOTA / and or Genuine
NipponDenso brand remanufactured unit is the only way
- exactly as @ATL Cruiser makes the
SOLID point above : " We go through probably 20 Denso units a week (starters and alternators). I can count on one hand how many have failed over 10 years. It is very low. "

- i would have to really think harder then hard , to actually recall personally having to deal with a pre-mature failure as well , Starters included here as well too

- i have had 1 single Genuine TOYOTA Remanufactured Alternator and 1 single Genuine TOYOTA Remanufactured starter be dead-nutz defective out of the sealed boxes from TOYOTA that come to my shop , the ones i currently offer in the store ..

- but if i take those 2 units and compare that percentage to ones i have mailed out with orders in the last 4 solid years this coming April 20th in fact , your talking less then single digit percent % defect rate .... like LESS the 1% !

- that's dam impressive for a actual end product that is still 100% final human hand assembled by DENSO both in JAPAN and here also in the USA ...

- i have NEVER heard of or seen a NON-Remanufactured NipponDenso / DENSO 100% NEW starter or alternator be removed from a factory sealed box and be dead on arrival defective since 1990 when i worked after school at the local TOYOTA dealer parts dept. to present day ....

- refreshing up all the OEM mounting hardware and electrical connection points , also replacing or simply adding if they were never there sine your purchased Land Cruiser , the protective components such as Rubber B+ ring terminals boots etc ....

27060-172202_2048x.jpg

27060-172204_2048x.jpg

27060-172205_2048x.jpg

Last edited:
its a Denso 1114

NO .....

this is COLD Spec. HEAVY DUTY package unit MADE IN JAPAN , and is 100% NEW , NOT RE-man

the Denso Blue box 1114 you refer to is NOT a Cold. Spec. unit ... ,

- however , they both are on my NipponDenso / DENSO factory identification chart as a interchange with each other .

- they both are the SAME AMPS Rating also

the DENSO 1114 blue box parts TAG does say MADE IN JAPAN ,

- it's my experience here in the USA anyway , ALL DENSO blue box starters and alternators are Re-manufactured ...

- i cannot speak on that topic for this non-usa DENSO 1114 ?

- maybe you can shed some light on this TOPIC , since you may know more about the DENSO 1114 , since it's sold in EUROPE , i have seen .. :)

-this is all i know on that topic ...🔮

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Oh !
mr. @Onkel , it's not often i get to speak live to folks in Germany like your self that have this Land Cruiser Engine Application ,,,

- would you mind taking a moment and reviewing this link below please ....

- can you let me know if your Land Cruiser is eqipped with this exact same fusible links set up here , or a different one ?

thanks for your time , please report back on the fusible links topic ,,

thanks

matt

90982-08266_2048x.jpg

Hello, in germany you can only buy Original Denso new , made in Japan . the 1114 is OEM and the 100 % as Original 80ah version . the official Toyota Germany heavy duty HZJ Versions was the cold spec , with second water heater , diesel heater , 2 batteries and more .

the picture shows the fusible link

Fusible Link original.jpg

You have a 12v system, obviously. I went with a 110amp bosch option, as I have never had issues with their products (I have used many of their glows). I forget the price of the OEM price, but I think I recall I could buy 8 bosch alternators for the same money, lol.

If you really want to maintain OEM, then I would recommend getting yours rebuilt by a very good automotive electrical shop that you trust. Good luck with whatever choice you make! :cheers:
What is the part number for the Bosch alternator? Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom