Higher amp output 24v alternator for 1HZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking to bump up my alternator output. I'd like to get a little more oomph for if/when I run a 24v inverter that can draw up to 120a:

Anything that'll bolt right up? (I know I will want to upgrade some wiring to handle the increased current.)
I installed this 60 amp 24V alternator:

Not a high output alt by any means, but much better than the anemic 35 amp that is usually paired with a 1Hz. For a 24v high output I would look to marine applications and alternators such as Balmar. Most European yachts have 24v systems.

With out knowing anything about the overall system you plan to install, using your 24v starting system is generally a bad idea for supplying "house" power. A 120 amp draw would be very hard on a battery bank that isn't set up for it. One of the smartest systems I've seen is what @umpqua did with his 24/12 volt system. He has the stand alone, 24v stock setup for starting and running the car, and a 12v high output alternator for powering his house batteries, and everything not related to "running" the truck.

If you use that alternator I posted, or any larger alternator you will need to change the alternator bracket. Let me know if you need the PN for the larger throw bracket, it's buried some where in my notes and here on Mud

I don’t recall the model number but I installed a high output Terrain Tamer alternator on my 79 Series.
Perhaps that’s an option for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom