Which Alternator - April 2020 Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any real reason NOT to upgrade to the 150amp version? Is the new harness/connector a hassle?
The original 130/150A Sequoia alternator was made in the US. The original 130A LC alternator was made in Japan. What parts of the original are left after rebuild is usually unknown.

Remanufactured Densos have different part numbers for the 130A LC and the 130A Sequoia alternator. The Toyota parts catalog also has different # for the internals. I don't have the answer to your question but I went with a Denso reman, LC100 130A alternator.

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this. Even if you just go stock alternator the wiring is anywhere from 22 to 13 years old..
Not to mention do Landcruiser’s even have frame to body ground straps like I hear about with newer cars

DC Power offers their 2UZ-FE alternator in many versions (180, 250, 270 and 370A). A few companies publish the specifications of their alternators. Most important to me is output at idle, 700 engine rpm (and hot temp). I took a rough measurement of the crank pulley (5.75") and the alternator pulley (2.5") to get a ratio of roughly 2.3:1

So, engine idle RPM of 700 x 2.3 = 1610 alternator RPM.
Looking at graph below, engine idle speeds produces about 82A.

Full output of 183A doesn't happen until 8k rpm... (8,000/2.3=3478 engine rpm).

I would be interested to know how the stock alternator compares.

180-HP_118c2ffa-ea5f-4d0e-b46d-1bd6f29d9ea6_1024x1024.png

snip short, fold over, and heat shrink over the nub. it goes to nothing
I'm sorry but... what?

My original 3-wire plug has the colors:
white/blue
red/blue
black/orange

The new 4-wire plug has:
red
white
blue
black

Who do I cut short and fold over with heat shrink?

From this post

I'm... unsure what is the orientation of the plug in that photo.

Last edited:
2/0 flex welding wire:
Alt to battery
Engine block to chassis
Battery negative to chassis
Battery negative to engine ground.

alt is direct bolt on and plug and Play

did the the Hkb voltage booster too

estimate on the footage needed for this? would like to do this to my truck in prep for a change in alternator.

estimate on the footage needed for this? would like to do this to my truck in prep for a change in alternator.
I order twenty feet. The 20ft kit on eBay comes with 10 terminal lugs

I'll let you know next week, as I'll do the whole BIG 3 upgrade while I'm in there. I'd bet it would closer to 6'

I'll let you know next week, as I'll do the whole BIG 3 upgrade while I'm in there. I'd bet it would closer to 6'
I needed four plus feet to go alt to battery along the front side of the front hood line. 6 feet is fully incorrect

I'm sorry but... what?

My original 3-wire plug has the colors:
white/blue
red/blue
black/orange

The new 4-wire plug has:
red
white
blue
black

Who do I cut short and fold over with heat shrink?

Hopefully these diagrams from Denso will help. It looks like the 'M, D, FR' wire will be left unconnected. Hopefully the orientation in clear. Not sure about the wire colors.

312_PLUG.jpg

917_PLUG.jpg

I needed four plus feet to go alt to battery along the front side of the front hood line. 6 feet is fully incorrect

You needed 4'+ and I suggested 6' and that is fully incorrect? :rolleyes: Someone had suggested 20' earlier... I don't think 6' is s too far off for a new cable from the alternator to the battery. I was not stating you'd only need 6' for a big 3 upgrade.

You needed 4'+ and I suggested 6' and that is fully incorrect? :rolleyes: Someone had suggested 20' earlier... I don't think 6' is s too far off for a new cable from the alternator to the battery. I was not stating you'd only need 6' for a big 3 upgrade.
Your right, my bad.

2/0 flex welding wire:
Alt to battery
Engine block to chassis
Battery negative to chassis
Battery negative to engine ground.

alt is direct bolt on and plug and Play

did the the Hkb voltage booster too

Do you have to pull the intake to do any of these?

Hello all, in need of some real time help. I am deep in on an alternator upgrade. Putting in 150 amp denso from a 2004 sequoia on my 2000 LX470. I have been trying to follow advice and updating the wiring as well, doing the big three. The issue I have run into is the charging post on the denso is just a dinky little stud with hardly any threads to hold the terminals down. For those who have run a new/additional charge cable, how did you attach to this? Thank you in advance.

The old pulley measures 57mm diameter vs. the new pulley is 49mm. By my calculations that would mean I need a ~10mm shorter belt. Don't know if that's enough to worry about, but according to one site, the 2000 Land Cruiser took a 2250mm belt and the 2004 took a 2240mm belt.

Can anyone confirm that the 2000 and 2004 Land Cruisers take different belts and that the '04 is shorter? Seems like if 10mm didn't matter Toyota wouldn't have gone to the shorter belt for the later years.

Edit: It looks like the difference is the 80 amp vs. 100 amp alternators. The 80 amp had a different pulley. I can't find any measurements, but it makes sense that the 80 amp would have a larger pulley.

Last edited:
The old pulley measures 57mm diameter vs. the new pulley is 49mm. By my calculations that would mean I need a ~10mm shorter belt. Don't know if that's enough to worry about, but according to one site, the 2000 Land Cruiser took a 2250mm belt and the 2004 took a 2240mm belt.

Can anyone confirm that the 2000 and 2004 Land Cruisers take different belts and that the '04 is shorter? Seems like if 10mm didn't matter Toyota wouldn't have gone to the shorter belt for the later years.

Edit: It looks like the difference is the 80 amp vs. 100 amp alternators. The 80 amp had a different pulley. I can't find any measurements, but it makes sense that the 80 amp would have a larger pulley.
I'm sure this is old news, but I think the tensioner should be able to account for that 10mm without issue.

Hey guys what is the nut and/or bolt/stud size for the alternator? I assume all the alternators have same nut/bolt stud size? is it m8 or m6? The stud guy identified in red arrow....Also what is the nut size? 12mm iirc when I changed the alternator..

Basically I want to do the big 3 wire upgrade and want to figure out what size Lug I need to use...is it a 1/4 in or 5/16 in lug hole side for the alternator stud/bolt size

1674361536373.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom