Where's Your Emergency Hammer Mounted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed that a number of listers have 'emergency hammers/life hammers' etc that have a hardened 'hammer' used to break windows as well as seat belt cutters. Where is yours located?

I currently have mine sitting in the center console (easy for both driver and passenger to access), but am thinking about a more permanent mount. I've been thinking of mounting it on the underside of the center console lid. Even if the lid were to pop open, this would still be available. I also have a Milford barrier, which comes stock with an emergency escape hammer (very nice little detail) and an instruction card :) - not that you don't know how to use it.

I'm happy to have it - earlier in the year with both kids strapped in child seats and small fire on the inside of the truck under the kick pannel (wife managed to get them out quickly while I tended to the hot spot) and, in years past, would have proved helpful in accessing people trapped in a car after an accident (not that it would have done much - needed Jaws to open the car :()

Cheers, Hugh

Not to rain on your parade, but you should read the article on these in last months Car & Driver. They tested them, and found, they are totally ineffective. They tried breaking windows at a junkyard with the hammer, and could not break it, even with a 200 pound guy using a full arm swing.

Cary

I have a litltle one about the size of my thumb, which has a stainless steel seat belt cutter blade and spring loaded window punch (use on side windows not windshield). It's on my fire turnouts which are in a bag in the back of the vehicle, didn't think about keeping one in the car, but it is a good idea. I know it works though :D

Here is a link to it, you can use it as a keychain: http://www.gallsinc.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FE388

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=6570;start=msg53284#msg53284 date=1066753629]
Not to rain on your parade, but you should read the article on these in last months Car & Driver. They tested them, and found, they are totally ineffective. They tried breaking windows at a junkyard with the hammer, and could not break it, even with a 200 pound guy using a full arm swing.

Cary
[/quote]

To be perfectly honest, I can't see a situation where I would need one anyway. I think it is just another thing we have been told to be afraid of. Perhaps those in the rescue business could enlighten me otherwise.
Seat belt cutter maybe, but not a window breaker.

Mine is in the console lid. I have tried it and it works. Never tried it on 80 glass though, 60 series and a 55 windshield. I haven't seen the Car and Driver issue but is it the spring loaded type that failed? Mine is really small and it seems to work just fine.

C&D was not the spring loaded variety. They tested the hammer and the seat-belt cutter and neither were very effective.

I'd wager the spring loaded variety are mo betta...

I've not read the article, Cary, but will. On that note, personal friend had/has one in his Yukon, and actually had to use it on the DS glass after being in a both-sides accident. For what it's worth. I do sorta agree with Gumby, though...hysteria marketing.

In the LX, though......Glock next to center console... ::)

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=6570;start=msg53347#msg53347 date=1066764561]

In the LX, though......Glock next to center console... ::)
[/quote]

When I lived in Oregon, it was an H&K USP in the center console :D. Now that I live back in the Republic of California, it is a prayer in the center console :'(. I wish I could get a concealed permit here. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Cary

The upper half of the console holds about 8 enbloc clips with room to spare............ :whoops:

I just became a Parmedic today, passed the National and state certifications :D , been a full time firefighter for 5 years, so I am highly qualified to post this ;)

Usually if you are in a bad accident that has doors pinned, etc. you have had a significant impact and therefore high likelihood of a serious injury, assuming your not underwater or your car is not on fire (which is rare in most accidents), we would prefer you stay where you are.
Hopefully you are restrained by seatbelts and in the driver seat, we will then dismantle and destroy your prized landcruiser around you, first breaking all windows and cutting the bottom of the windshield. We will use hydraulic tools to remove both front doors, then cut A, B, C, and D pillars and remove the roof (or maybe just cut A, B, and C and peel the roof back). We will then use hydrualic tools and rams to lift the dash, after cutting the rockers at the front door jamb, if your legs are trapped. We will then attempt to remove you with no force on your spine, in case you have spinal injury (this is very hard and usually not completely successful)
If it wasn't totaled from the accident, it will be when we are through with it :D

While it is fun to do, the whole point is to keep your spine intact and/or prevent further spinal injury, that's why we don't want you movin' around.

Cary,
I read that C&D editorial (it wasn't really an article) and came away with a mixed opinion. The author seemed to make his point though I would have preferred a more scientific approach to the testing.

For those that didn't read it, it was in the editorial section and the author took a trip to a junk yard with one or two of these emergency devices. The author and one of the yard's employees both attempted to break side windows and cut seatbelts. As reported by others, the tools tested were ineffective. It would be more convincing if they did a comparison of several brands and a more objective article. I kept getting the feeling they had drawn a conclusion and were just out to prove it.

My 2c
-B-

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=6570;start=msg53297#msg53297 date=1066756012]
To be perfectly honest, I can't see a situation where I would need one anyway. I think it is just another thing we have been told to be afraid of. Perhaps those in the rescue business could enlighten me otherwise.
Seat belt cutter maybe, but not a window breaker.
[/quote]

Gumby, I disagree. On the weekend I was up at Whistler, BC. We had a 100 year rain event and the road washed out all over the place and the rivers raging were a truly awesome sight not to be forgotten. 20k to the north near a bridge went out. Two cars went off the bridge into Rutherford Creek with five people in them. They were tired shift workers from Whistler heading home at 3 am and they didn't see the bridge was out in the heavy rain. Four are dead. The guy who made it was lucky because his window burst and he was able to drag himself out and grab a branch of a tree and hold on until dawn. I have been thinking this week I should get something to break my windows or even my sunroof in an emergency.

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=6570;start=msg53398#msg53398 date=1066770938]
I just became a Parmedic today, passed the National and state certifications :D , been a full time firefighter for 5 years, so I am highly qualified to post this ;)

Usually if you are in a bad accident that has doors pinned, etc. you have had a significant impact and therefore high likelihood of a serious injury, assuming your not underwater or your car is not on fire (which is rare in most accidents), we would prefer you stay where you are.
Hopefully you are restrained by seatbelts and in the driver seat, we will then dismantle and destroy your prized landcruiser around you, first breaking all windows and cutting the bottom of the windshield. We will use hydraulic tools to remove both front doors, then cut A, B, C, and D pillars and remove the roof (or maybe just cut A, B, and C and peel the roof back). We will then use hydrualic tools and rams to lift the dash, after cutting the rockers at the front door jamb, if your legs are trapped. We will then attempt to remove you with no force on your spine, in case you have spinal injury (this is very hard and usually not completely successful)
If it wasn't totaled from the accident, it will be when we are through with it :D

While it is fun to do, the whole point is to keep your spine intact and/or prevent further spinal injury, that's why we don't want you movin' around.
[/quote]

As much as I like my Cruiser, I wouldn't complain for one minute if this was done. I can replace the cruiser, I can't replace my legs or my ability to walk.

Cary

Ours is the German TUV approved LifeHammer that garnered all manner of safety awards from their ambulance, fire and paremedic industries. I've never tried it but would be stunned if the thing couldn't break a side window out based upon my personal experiences in a junkyard trying to break windows. I'll check out the C&D editorial though.

We have two kids strapped into 5 point harnesses to deal with in the event of a need to vacate the vehicle quickly. Where we live, we frequently travel winding 2 lane roads also populated by logging truck. These roads are often alongside canyons, creeks, rivers and lakes. So, a very real scenario for us would be to end up rolling multiple times and ending up with a heavily damaged 80 in water. Add darkness to the equation, and years ago we elected to put a Life Hammer in both vehicles.

In the Cruiser, it's screwed direction onto the rear face of the center console. In a heavy collision it will hopefully be in the same position, from which both front seat occupants and all middle seat occupants could reach it. It is important to realize a non mounted rescue tool will not be easy to find in the stunned aftermath of a collision where every piece of paperwork, pop bottle, luggage, etc will be all over the place. The key is being able to lay your hands on it in seconds.

In a worst case scenario, it's dark, we're hanging by our belts upside down in a creek bed and we smell gas fumes. The Life Hammer comes out in one pull without requiring any movement. I'm free, my wife is free, one or both front windows are smashed out, then I'm crawling into the back to cut the kids belts. We've talked about it and have a plan. When things go bad, you are best served by having a plan to focus on and avoid the "dazed and confused" delay.

If someone's severely injured, as Ben notes you're gonna need some professional assistance. However, we're often a long way from getting that assistance and need a modicum of self rescue capability. I'd also use it to help others get out of their vehicle, of course.

Doug

Bump! I've been thinking about picking up one of these (ResQMe or LifeHammer), so I figured I'd see if there have been any new developments on a 7 year old thread.

Is always here, almost 2 pounds of steel :hillbilly:!

:beer:
Emergency Hammer.jpg

Is that a fuzzy hand down your pants :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom