Where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this is my first post of what I imagine will be the beginning of a lifesytle.
I enjoy reading the posts of all you IH8MUDers, and now I would love some advice. I'm embarking into untraveled territory and will need a lot of help.

I recently bought an FJ45 with a restored frame and all other parts disassembled, I also have a BJ42 which I plan to pull the 3B engine and put it in the FJ45. I have everything sitting ready to go and I don't have a plan.

I need to get some detailed manuals of the FJ45 and BJ42 and would love to hear the process of anyone elso who has restored an FJ45 with a deisel conversion.

What would you suggest be my first steps, what parts should I focus on and in what order.

Any info would be much appreciated
thank you

Aaron

Last edited:
1. I would start by getting the axles back under the frame, so it will move.

2. Set the cab back on the frame.

3. Then put motor/trans in. This way you can see where the motor will sit. New mounts may need to be made (do not know if the 3B has different mounts than a gas motor).

4. Tear it apart and paint it!!!!!

I would consider this too big a job...

I take it off your hands!!!
My first step would to start researching here with searching past threads, getting all the manuals and then do an inventory of what you have and don't have (and what you can't figure out... ie what the heck is this).

If that frame is raw get some paint on it, then get your suspension and axles mounted, then follow up with the driveline and save the body and wiring for last

1. I would start by getting the axles back under the frame, so it will move.

2. Set the cab back on the frame.

3. Then put motor/trans in. This way you can see where the motor will sit. New mounts may need to be made (do not know if the 3B has different mounts than a gas motor).

4. Tear it apart and paint it!!!!!
X 2. Clean up/rebuild those axles. get a good coat of POR15 on em and get them under the frame. Then get your motor, tranny, xfer case right and between the frame. Truely ground up:cheers:

Good luck - I wish I had a 45!

Pack it up, ship it to me. I'll take real good care of it, I promise.
Man you just have to kind of make a little bit a schedual for yourself, and the start at the bottom and work up, or start at one end and work toward the other. They aren't complicated machines (I can't really vouch for the diesle though, never touched an injector pump). Your at a disadvantage if you never drove the one you are working on to know what needed work and what was okay so you have to use your judgement. The biggest thing is to remember that it is supposed to be a fun hobby, it won't happen over night, and it won't build itself. It matters less where you start, and more that you start. But if you are on a budget like most of us, don't spend money up front on snazzy wheels and a bad ass bumper ect. Spend money on gaskets, seals bushings, weather stripping, abrasives and paint. If you can get your hands on one, I'd recommend a blasting cabinet, an angle grinder, and at least a small mig welder. The conversions you want to do should be fairly straight forward, if both trucks are complete. You shouldn't have to do much or any fabrication for that.
Good luck!

is that BJ a 78?

what year is the 45?

any interest in using both for a re-build?

sounds like you're not being hasty about the project(s), that would have been my only input

better to sit on the thoughts then to regret them

Send a PM to mud member seapotato - he's put a 3B into a 45 series, and I'm sure would have much valauble advice for you.

Otherwise, it's a step-by-step process, a hell of a learning experience, and you get to watch your bank account plummet in the process. As the Japanese would say: "ganbatte!" (go for it!)

:beer::beer:

Bought my manual

Hey all, thanks for your suggestions. I picked up my manual for the 1978 FJ45 and have been gleening over it. I still need to pick up a manual for the 1982 BJ42 Deisel. I have access to most of the tools I need. (welder, grinders, sandblasting gun and booth) and I have most of my parts inventoried.

I will begin with the suspension and axles to get the frame off the ground.
I will keep you posted with my progress.

Cheers
Aaron

hey man this sounds like a pretty wicked project, i cant remember 100% for sure but i think after a certin year they engine bay in the FJ40 and BJ40 were the same assuming that the 45's saw the same changes then...you wouldnt need to do the motor mounts..but its been a long time since i did any research on this...also plan on keeping the 3B,tranny and maybe t-case togather as because i know the 3B needs a different tranny then the F or 2F, thats about all the help i can be...strip 'er down and start from the ground up...good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom