Where to put a spare tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tied down on top of your drawers is probably best for now. I bought a 35x10.5 interco and put it on a 16x7 tacoma wheel for a "skinny spare" and it does fit in the stock spare location (just barely) but won't fit with any sort of trailer hitch except a pintle.

For a few years we rode around with the spare in the back. IT SUCKED and was always in the way. Spare on top is an option but be prepared for some body roll when off camber. I primarily installed my 4x4Labs bumper for the tire carrier and jerry can holder and not for protection.

Landtank's developing a factory bumper mounted swing out tire mount.
Hopefully soon...

A member he makes them already.

🤷‍♀️Just putting this out there.. But would a 35 DEFLATED fit in the under truck original tire carrier spot with a bit of massaging into it? Then just carry a good air pump ? Has anyone ever tried?

can you deflate enough to fit in the stock spot? You mentioned going off road surely you have a means to air it back up

🤷‍♀️Just putting this out there.. But would a 35 DEFLATED fit in the under truck original tire carrier spot with a bit of massaging into it? Then just carry a good air pump ? Has anyone ever tried?

Possibly

A 35” tire WILL fit in the factory spare tire location. I ran mine there for years. It just looks stupid hanging down and makes the 80 look pregnant. It you don’t want to caugh up the dough, throw it in the back and strap it down with tie downs (easy removal when camping) and save the money and do it right with a bumper/ carrier combo:meh:

Last edited:
i was just measuring today and i will be clearancing everything underneath including the body channels and rear tailgate hinge channels. The plan after looking/ armchair eyebal measuring - is to remount the stock carrier about 6" higher above the orig frame holes (actually ends will be above the frame...and the center will be flush with the cargo floor.) It looks like i will be able to get ithe tire about 4" higher essentially sitting a 255/85 flush height same as the stock rear bumper bottoms height, So essentially it will hide up or maybe peak an inch under the stock bumper bottom.

I will probably start a project thread

It will be sooooo nice to not have to deal with swingout bumpers / tire carriers once again.

i was just measuring today and i will be clearancing everything underneath including the body channels and rear tailgate hinge channels. The plan after looking/ armchair eyebal measuring - is to remount the stock carrier about 6" higher above the orig frame holes (actually ends will be above the frame...and the center will be flush with the cargo floor.) It looks like i will be able to get ithe tire about 4" higher essentially sitting a 255/85 flush height same as the stock rear bumper bottoms height, So essentially it will hide up or maybe peak an inch under the stock bumper bottom.

I will probably start a project thread

It will be sooooo nice to not have to deal with swingout bumpers / tire carriers once again.
post a link to the build! would love to see that man!

You'll find you cant really bring the tire up much in the rear (towards the rear crossmember). There is a little metal tube to stop the tire from blocking the area where you insert the rod for the hoist. You can cut the tube out, but then you wont be able to operate the hoist through the hole in the bumper. Best you can do is raise it a few mm.

At least that was my assessment.

its all gonna go bye bye up to the height of the cargo floor. even the cargo floor channels are going bye bye and i will relocate supports/ channels outwards - im doing it for 33.5 tire but its all getting kicked towards driver side frame rail to avoid the exhaust as much as possible. the only thing that will prevent it flush to floor is the gas fill tube which is already ovalized by toyota and that inch isnt a big deal or worth relocating since i will be using the stock carrier assembly fitted flush to floor and that also is about the same thickness of loss.

the stock rear bumper crossmember will come out as well as the rear body lip between the lower tailgate hinges. My thinking is it will be about the same amount of fab as when i built my last dual swingout and notched into the body to tuck it high up for clearance. this one was about 4" higher vertically and tucked waaay further in than any bumper out there- slee , labs ,etc. and waaaay stronger. (tested)

7377E885-8CB9-4C2E-8371-86651BFCD8A1.jpeg

88507603-13AA-49B9-A8E8-9C230D748EE4.jpeg

Last edited:
where do i put it when i dont have a trailer? that was just a scenario. i was just stating cause i still need use of my trailer hitch.

I ratchet strap mine down to the floor in the cargo area. It sucks but works until I get a rear bumper.

Cheers

I ratchet strap mine down to the floor in the cargo area. It sucks but works until I get a rear bumper.

Cheers
Mine lives under the truck for DD, but when wheeling this ^^^ is what I do with mine to protect the side wall.

Inside, works good. I started to put a swing on bumper, but I like parking in my garage sometimes. And I don’t want to open more things to get in the back area.

FAD245FA-1E6E-41B8-B01C-BF8ECDF6A6B7.jpeg

one more.....i ran out of light today. will get a few pics tomorrow morn in better light and throw a 265/75 and a 255/85 underneath on a jack to see how much the clearancing helps out the underhang/ tuck . The black sharpie was for the larger 255/85 and the red is just to show where i planned to cut.

FDDF67B6-5536-451E-B774-384E83FE8FB8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom