Where to get Gates Green Stripe Heater Hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This should be a simple task, but I'm having trouble sourcing premium heater hose. My rear heater lines failed miserably and eventually I want to run silicone lines all the way back. I live in Minnesota and the rear heater is VERY helpful here and will retain it in the long run. For now, I will bypass with regular heater hose right at the firewall since I can't seemingly find gates green stripe anywhere locally or online that isn't in bulk (is this stuff even made anymore???). My front hard lines are rusted right above the frame very badly, and the rear hard lines are just a mess. I don't want to spent $200+ on metal lines and have numerous failure points again.

Anyway, all local stores such as Napa, Advance, Auto Zone, Auto Value, fail to carry or understand what silicone heater hose is. Auto zone claimed to have something in stock but only a max size of 3/8" (too small).

Where are people buying this from? Napa said they used to carry it but can't get it anymore. Another place told me I needed to buy a full roll special order and can't buy by the foot. Searches on the internet today such as amazon proved unsuccessful.

I asked for green stripe at my local Oreilly and they said they didn't have it. Searched online, checked the stock on their website and went back to the same store and asked for Gates part number 28441 and they found it right away.

From an old thread. Fwiw green stripe is not silicone, just heavy duty

I got mine from Orielys or how ever you spell it.
I saw some on Amazon also.
The Napa yellow stripe is a good hose also.

Great--thanks!! I will try again tomorrow, this time actually driving to Oreilly's to see it in person. I see it on their website now, but I may have thrown them off when I called asking for silicone heater hose. I didn't realize the green stripe was heavy duty rubberized. Never actually had to buy it before

1/2" for smaller diameter rear lines:
Gates Green Stripe 28439 - Heater Hose | O'Reilly Auto Parts

5/8" for front at firewall:
Gates Green Stripe 28441 - Heater Hose | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I have Gates green stripe and silicone hose, at my store. You should be able to get it at any O'Reillys. It is sold by the foot. If you go with silicone, make sure to use the correct clamps.

Green Stripe part number...

28439 = 1/2"
28441 = 5/8"
28442 = 3/4"

Silicone hose part number...

26240 = 1/2"
26241 = 5/8"
26242 = 3/4"

Silicone hose clamps...

32310 = 3/8" - 5/8" hose
32312 = 5/8" - 3/4" hose

But... stock is better if you ask me.
it lasted 15 years so far...
If I did it again I would do OEM.

Silicone is the way to go, I've been putting silicone on everything o own for 10 years now. First mod I do on all vehicles I've owned is swap every rubber hose I can with a silicone counterpart... But definitely get the right clamps for it...

This should be a simple task, but I'm having trouble sourcing premium heater hose. My rear heater lines failed miserably and eventually I want to run silicone lines all the way back. I live in Minnesota and the rear heater is VERY helpful here and will retain it in the long run. For now, I will bypass with regular heater hose right at the firewall since I can't seemingly find gates green stripe anywhere locally or online that isn't in bulk (is this stuff even made anymore???). My front hard lines are rusted right above the frame very badly, and the rear hard lines are just a mess. I don't want to spent $200+ on metal lines and have numerous failure points again.

Anyway, all local stores such as Napa, Advance, Auto Zone, Auto Value, fail to carry or understand what silicone heater hose is. Auto zone claimed to have something in stock but only a max size of 3/8" (too small).

Where are people buying this from? Napa said they used to carry it but can't get it anymore. Another place told me I needed to buy a full roll special order and can't buy by the foot. Searches on the internet today such as amazon proved unsuccessful.

NAPA gold strip is the same stuff.....I called Gates and verified

Our parts stores are generally very limited to what's on the shelf. Been like this for a couple decades. No one local carries anything green stripe in any size period. I only found one place carrying silicone in any size and that was Oreilly's so I bought two feet in 5/8" in case I need to bypass in an emergency at the firewall. I do not have the option to order 1/2" in green stripe or silicone without committing to a whole roll. Sucks! So, for now, I bought regular Gates white safety stripe hose in 1/2" for the rear lines. If I have to replace the regular hose every 5 years, I'm fine with that. But when that next time comes, 'll plan ahead next time and order green stripe or silicone in advance. I had to buy regular heater hose for now ($10 total cost) in order to get the vehicle back on the road.

I retained the stock rear heater and just redid everything in the rear. I junked the stock metal 1/2" lines that run above the cats. What a STUPID design. Heat shields or not, it burns the paint off and the lines corrode, and you can't hose them off because the shields block your attempts to clean or even inspect.

Underneath the vehicle, there are 8 hose clamps, meaning 8 connections. I ran rubber tubing the entire way back, while also eliminating 2 feet of "length" needed per line, for a total reduction in length of 4 feet. My lines were leaking in no less than 6 places, including the front hard lines just above the frame where it's friggin' impossible to see or even get to that 10mm nut on the bracket. I was not about to replace the front hard lines either, so I cut the front hard lines as they come down the transmission tunnel and just before they turn horizontal to run over the passenger frame rail. Cutting here allowed me to angle the new hoses to go right along the inside of the passenger frame rail. This keeps them easier to access, away from the exhaust heat, and still well protected. The hoses now just run straight front to back with no wandering all over the place. Since I had to cut those front hard lines, I double hose clamped that side. I could triple clamp if I wanted but the 1/2" lines were already a tight fit on there even though my custom "cuts" no longer have flared "nips" at the very tip of the hard lines.

For now I've got the lines zip tied to the frame rail, along with plastic wire loom over them for extra protection. But I will end up reinforcing them with something a little more substantial later on. In fact, I do see some 10mm studs hanging perfectly in line from the underside of the body/floor boards, and I could fashion something to hang these hoses from the floor boards. I just need to find/make a double hose bracket of some sort.

Overall I'm very happy with it--thanks for everyone's help! I wish our stores had better inventory around here!

Watch Gates YouTube video on why their green stripe hose is superior to silicone.
Try phhkit.com for green stripe hose.
Cheers !

Would this type of clamp work?

41ZfUK6%2BcYL._SX342_.jpg

I've found these in stock st Orchard Supply, in up to 1" diameter.

Our parts stores are generally very limited to what's on the shelf. Been like this for a couple decades. No one local carries anything green stripe in any size period. I only found one place carrying silicone in any size and that was Oreilly's so I bought two feet in 5/8" in case I need to bypass in an emergency at the firewall. I do not have the option to order 1/2" in green stripe or silicone without committing to a whole roll. Sucks! So, for now, I bought regular Gates white safety stripe hose in 1/2" for the rear lines. If I have to replace the regular hose every 5 years, I'm fine with that. But when that next time comes, 'll plan ahead next time and order green stripe or silicone in advance. I had to buy regular heater hose for now ($10 total cost) in order to get the vehicle back on the road.

I retained the stock rear heater and just redid everything in the rear. I junked the stock metal 1/2" lines that run above the cats. What a STUPID design. Heat shields or not, it burns the paint off and the lines corrode, and you can't hose them off because the shields block your attempts to clean or even inspect.

Underneath the vehicle, there are 8 hose clamps, meaning 8 connections. I ran rubber tubing the entire way back, while also eliminating 2 feet of "length" needed per line, for a total reduction in length of 4 feet. My lines were leaking in no less than 6 places, including the front hard lines just above the frame where it's friggin' impossible to see or even get to that 10mm nut on the bracket. I was not about to replace the front hard lines either, so I cut the front hard lines as they come down the transmission tunnel and just before they turn horizontal to run over the passenger frame rail. Cutting here allowed me to angle the new hoses to go right along the inside of the passenger frame rail. This keeps them easier to access, away from the exhaust heat, and still well protected. The hoses now just run straight front to back with no wandering all over the place. Since I had to cut those front hard lines, I double hose clamped that side. I could triple clamp if I wanted but the 1/2" lines were already a tight fit on there even though my custom "cuts" no longer have flared "nips" at the very tip of the hard lines.

For now I've got the lines zip tied to the frame rail, along with plastic wire loom over them for extra protection. But I will end up reinforcing them with something a little more substantial later on. In fact, I do see some 10mm studs hanging perfectly in line from the underside of the body/floor boards, and I could fashion something to hang these hoses from the floor boards. I just need to find/make a double hose bracket of some sort.

Overall I'm very happy with it--thanks for everyone's help! I wish our stores had better inventory around here!

Hi mnwolftrack, This is Zain from Minnesota. I have similar situation on my 94 LC and rear heating pipe is leaking from around Cat. Like you said rear heater is very important for a toasty truck in Minnesota winter. I should have looked at your great idea earlier and ran Gates hose all the way back from engine. I ended ordering stock metal 1/2" lines that run above the cats. I will use this stock pipe for now and connect it with Gates Green stripe 1/2 hose from engine bay. Were you able to pull old front hard lines . Thanks

Look up parker hose or any good hydraulic shop. They will have silicone heater hose. Only stuff i use, have used it for 10+ years on equipment in high heat still looks new inside and out, stuff lasts..

its right over the 1000 degree exhaust manifold on my cummins and its been the there for 10 years...still soft and pliable

Now i do run gates green stripe belts on the serpintine they last... worth the $$$

Great idea bypassing the hardlines. I've bypassed the whole rear heater. I'm curious about how your hardline bypass has held up. Also, please post some photos of up of your routing underneath the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom