where to get a reman sag box?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried Autozone with this part #ATSCO 6529.....

Told me my order was canceled because the part is out of stock, So who has a new or reman one at a good price?? I don't want an agr or anything fancy, but don't want to pull junk-yard parts either.

LCS said:
Go with a 60's era full size chev car (impala, caprice). It's a 4 bolt 4.25 turn lock to lock. 13/16" x 36 spline output shaft. Casting# 5691676. Available at any parts store for fairly cheap.

Tim
Landcruiser Specialties
503-693-1656

thats what i got, try checker auto, got mine from autozone 130.00, lifetime warranty.:cheers:

I'm trying to get the same box too and read a thread from pirate4x4 and it seems that people in california got trouble getting that box from autozone.

How do you verify that it is 4 turn box from the part counter?

/td

Get a J20 box for a Jeep, can't remember the year or model. Getting older does that to people. :frown: Anyway, it is 4 turn box with the larger piston. Do a search for the J20 and you should find the specs.

Here you go. 1976 J20...... Napa part #51-6529

Last edited:
Thanks Cardinal, got one on order. Will be here Sat.

I'm hoping that this will mate up to the borgeson shaft I ordered from Summit....
Anyone know if it's the same spline count? Napa's site didn't say.

I placed an order for one from Autozone, only took them a week to send me an e-mail stating that my order had been canceled because the part isn't in stock???:mad:

If you ordered the number that was posted up out here in this thread, then you *SHOULD* recieve a gear box that has a 13/16-36 spline INPUT shaft....as that is what I have recieved when I ordered this same part number from a couple local vendors....

You will know for sure when you get it! :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Hi All:

To confirm whether the PS gearbox is in fact a 4 turn unit, simply rotate the output shaft as many times as possible, lock-to-lock. This is much easier if a pitman arm happens to be attached! ;)

When I got my junkyard Chevelle PS gearbox a few years ago I cranked it lock-to-lock and got 4.25 turns; the gearbox also squirted PS fluid all over the shop counter!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mustard40" asked:

How does one determine whether a Saginaw PS gearbox is a 4 turn?

Does this J20 box have the same four bolt mounting pattern as the four bolt sag boxes?

AlaskanWheeler said:
Does this J20 box have the same four bolt mounting pattern as the four bolt sag boxes?

Yes.

I'm not sure if this helps but I just got off the phone with Napa and asked for the 51-6529 part#; seems as though it has changed too 27-6529. I thought maybe the 51 would indicate the store number but the salesman told me this should be the same everywhere. I could be confusing people, or maybe one of you know what this part# is.

I've been doing some reading on this J20 box and there seems to be some confusion on the turns of the J20 box. Some previous posts note that it is a 3 1/4 turn box while this thread mentions it being 4 turns. It would seem like the box with the most turns would be more desierable with a short wheel base rig.

I first tried to order it on Napa's site with that number, they had it listed but for some reason you couldn't order it. So I called the local store with part# 51-6529 and he quoted me the same price they had posted on-line.

I can assure you that it is a 4 turn box. I have it on my fj40. Yes it has 4 bolt holes. I had a box on my 40 that was only 2.5 turns :eek: After getting the J20, it took quite a bit of getting use to it, turning the wheel so much.

Did you get the box from Napa yet??? Is it a 4 turn box? Thanks.

I actually went to a Jeep forum and read their archives, even jeepers got problems locating these boxes because parts stores crossed reference other boxes to the same j20 boxes...So it's a hit & miss kind of thing. Can't beleive I'm looking for Jeep parts...Ouch!!!

/td

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom