where to get a reman sag box?? (1 Viewer)

wtmtnterror

SILVER Star

I tried Autozone with this part #ATSCO 6529.....

Told me my order was canceled because the part is out of stock, So who has a new or reman one at a good price?? I don't want an agr or anything fancy, but don't want to pull junk-yard parts either.

LCS

Go with a 60's era full size chev car (impala, caprice). It's a 4 bolt 4.25 turn lock to lock. 13/16" x 36 spline output shaft. Casting# 5691676. Available at any parts store for fairly cheap.

Tim
Landcruiser Specialties
503-693-1656

LCS said:
Go with a 60's era full size chev car (impala, caprice). It's a 4 bolt 4.25 turn lock to lock. 13/16" x 36 spline output shaft. Casting# 5691676. Available at any parts store for fairly cheap.

Tim
Landcruiser Specialties
503-693-1656
thats what i got, try checker auto, got mine from autozone 130.00, lifetime warranty.:cheers:

I'm trying to get the same box too and read a thread from pirate4x4 and it seems that people in california got trouble getting that box from autozone.

How do you verify that it is 4 turn box from the part counter?

/td

Get a J20 box for a Jeep, can't remember the year or model. Getting older does that to people. :frown: Anyway, it is 4 turn box with the larger piston. Do a search for the J20 and you should find the specs.

Here you go. 1976 J20...... Napa part #51-6529

Last edited:

wtmtnterror

SILVER Star

Thanks Cardinal, got one on order. Will be here Sat.

I'm hoping that this will mate up to the borgeson shaft I ordered from Summit....
Anyone know if it's the same spline count? Napa's site didn't say.

I placed an order for one from Autozone, only took them a week to send me an e-mail stating that my order had been canceled because the part isn't in stock???:mad:

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

If you ordered the number that was posted up out here in this thread, then you *SHOULD* recieve a gear box that has a 13/16-36 spline INPUT shaft....as that is what I have recieved when I ordered this same part number from a couple local vendors....

You will know for sure when you get it! :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."

Hi All:

To confirm whether the PS gearbox is in fact a 4 turn unit, simply rotate the output shaft as many times as possible, lock-to-lock. This is much easier if a pitman arm happens to be attached! ;)

When I got my junkyard Chevelle PS gearbox a few years ago I cranked it lock-to-lock and got 4.25 turns; the gearbox also squirted PS fluid all over the shop counter!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mustard40" asked:

How does one determine whether a Saginaw PS gearbox is a 4 turn?

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star

Does this J20 box have the same four bolt mounting pattern as the four bolt sag boxes?

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

AlaskanWheeler said:
Does this J20 box have the same four bolt mounting pattern as the four bolt sag boxes?

Yes.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star

I'm not sure if this helps but I just got off the phone with Napa and asked for the 51-6529 part#; seems as though it has changed too 27-6529. I thought maybe the 51 would indicate the store number but the salesman told me this should be the same everywhere. I could be confusing people, or maybe one of you know what this part# is.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star

I've been doing some reading on this J20 box and there seems to be some confusion on the turns of the J20 box. Some previous posts note that it is a 3 1/4 turn box while this thread mentions it being 4 turns. It would seem like the box with the most turns would be more desierable with a short wheel base rig.

wtmtnterror

SILVER Star

I first tried to order it on Napa's site with that number, they had it listed but for some reason you couldn't order it. So I called the local store with part# 51-6529 and he quoted me the same price they had posted on-line.

I can assure you that it is a 4 turn box. I have it on my fj40. Yes it has 4 bolt holes. I had a box on my 40 that was only 2.5 turns :eek: After getting the J20, it took quite a bit of getting use to it, turning the wheel so much.

Did you get the box from Napa yet??? Is it a 4 turn box? Thanks.

I actually went to a Jeep forum and read their archives, even jeepers got problems locating these boxes because parts stores crossed reference other boxes to the same j20 boxes...So it's a hit & miss kind of thing. Can't beleive I'm looking for Jeep parts...Ouch!!!

/td

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom