When the radiator is out, what else to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting a new OEM radiator and hoses in next week and wanted to ask the gang here what are the other key things to inspect or just do while it's pulled? Thank you...

Lots of stuff on the front of the engine will be easier to get at - fan clutch in particular if you have any doubts about it.

While the cooling system is open and drained, I'd take a close look at all the hoses including PHH and the heater control valve. I'd probably replace the thermostat. Maybe belts as well.

Distributor O-Ring
Oil pump seal
front main seal
PS hoses
Transmission hoses
Water Pump (if needed)
Valve cover gasket
Spark Plug tube seals
PCV Grommet
PHH Hose
2nd PHH hose
Heater Valve
Rear heater hoses under the truck
Rear heater hard line bypass hoses
Thermostat and gasket
Bypass pipe O-Rings (3)
PS Reservoir cleanout and reseal (or new reservoir)
New Oil fill cap
New PS Reservoir cap

Distributor O-Ring
Oil pump seal
front main seal
PS hoses
Transmission hoses
Water Pump (if needed)
Valve cover gasket
Spark Plug tube seals
PCV Grommet
PHH Hose
2nd PHH hose
Heater Valve
Thermostat and gasket
Bypass pipe O-Rings (3)
New Oil fill cap
New PS Reservoir cap
Throttle cable
Kick down cable
Intake hose
Air filter
Fuel filter
Ignition relay
Ignition
Battery cables & terminals
Battery
Summer is coming, check AC compressor & clutch
Refrigerant level
Expansion valve
Hoses to diff breathers & diff breathers
Belts & tension on belts
Starter
Alternator

I don't know about that long-arse list, but I would start by inspecting your front main and oil pump cover for leaks. Both are much easier to do with the radiator out. Now is a good time to do a fan clutch and water pump if needed. But the fan clutch isn't hard to do with the radiator in place.

Radiator mounts/isolators.

Just did the main seal and oil pump cover not long ago... Will investigate the rest... appreciated!

Jeez -- i am wondering if someone is going to write "just go ahead and take out the rest of what's there and put in an LS3.... much less work..." ;)

I was waiting for somebody to say "Well, since you have the hood open, might as well do the head gasket".

New Radiator Cap (OEM), and pull out the overflow bottle cap and make sure the hose inside is attached properly. Try to blow air through it while holding your finger over the other end to be sure there are no pinholes. Any problems here will prevent your radiator from sucking overflow back in to replace what expanded out when hot.

Be sure your Radiator going in has the foam seals around the top and sides to prevent hot air recirculation during idle conditions. Hoses, if they need it - and if they do, a Thermostat is dead-nuts simple to replace while you're doing hoses.

BE VERY CAREFUL around that #1 Steam Line that goes from the Radiator to under the intake manifold - it is delicate where it's molded into the top tank plastic.

I hope those other guys are kidding with their long lists of rebuild items, but somehow I think they might just be serious!

Throttle cable
Kick down cable
Intake hose
Air filter
Fuel filter
Ignition relay
Ignition
Battery cables & terminals
Battery
Summer is coming, check AC compressor & clutch
Refrigerant level
Expansion valve
Hoses to diff breathers & diff breathers
Belts & tension on belts
Starter
Alternator
"
Ignition relay
Ignition"

What p/n's are you referring to?

Fuel filter. Easier to reach.

Distributor O-Ring
Oil pump seal
front main seal
PS hoses
Transmission hoses
Water Pump (if needed)
Valve cover gasket
Spark Plug tube seals
PCV Grommet
PHH Hose
2nd PHH hose
Heater Valve
Thermostat and gasket
Bypass pipe O-Rings (3)
New Oil fill cap
New PS Reservoir cap
Lots of stuff on the front of the engine will be easier to get at - fan clutch in particular if you have any doubts about it.

While the cooling system is open and drained, I'd take a close look at all the hoses including PHH and the heater control valve. I'd probably replace the thermostat. Maybe belts as well.
This is, imo, a sensible list and perspective.
Since the coolant is out, inspect entire cooling system and replace old parts .

You are saving time & effort, possibly preventing a trip failure.

RockAuto, Amazon, etc... - Aisin FCT004.
thank you for this -- is this the same company that supplies them to Toyota or any material difference between this and OEM? seems like about $200 for the fan , the clutch, and a new water pump... my local parts dealer says OEM is not avail but this is essentially the same?

seems like a waste to not replace it when the radiator is swapped, mine has 167k miles on it... i guess i could keep the ones i have in case the new one fails... for $200 in parts for brand new along with the new radiator... smart preventative maintenance or leave it alone if it's not broken?

thank you for this -- is this the same company that supplies them to Toyota or any material difference between this and OEM? seems like about $200 for the fan , the clutch, and a new water pump... my local parts dealer says OEM is not avail but this is essentially the same?
Aisin is the OE fan clutch. I also believe the OE fan and water pump are Aisin.

I would recommend Rock Auto or Wit's End. Avoid Amazon generally because there are Chinese fakes of Denso and Aisin showing up and Amazon doesn't really care if the product is genuine or not.

seems like a waste to not replace it when the radiator is swapped, mine has 167k miles on it... i guess i could keep the ones i have in case the new one fails... for $200 in parts for brand new along with the new radiator... smart preventative maintenance or leave it alone if it's not broken?

Smart preventative maintenance. I believe in being proactive about overheating. Also good time to do thermostat, water pipe o-rings, PHH, PHH neighbor (throttle body), and oil cooler if you're feeling froggy. Also, new Toyota belts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom