When the radiator is out, what else to do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unless you know the history, pretty much everything is a good idea to look at while it is exposed. Every time that I have had my rad out (three times now) I have checked all sorts of things, especially tensioner pulleys. Sucks if they seize up.

May was well pull the engine/trans/transfer case and at that point lift the body off and rehab the frame. Also replace your control arm bushings. With the engine and stuff out, it's time for an LS swap. You're also going to want to add front and rear bumpers/lift/sliders and armor. This is in addition to everything everyone else said. I think that about covers the baselining.....

All kidding aside, cooling hoses, belts, fan clutch, maybe check the rubber hoses for the trans to radiator. Thermostat and radiator cap. Touch up any areas where rust might be forming on the frame.

my radiator is still good, but my hoses... not so much. went by wits end and picked up the T fitting and some of those wonky hoses out by the passenger side. went with OEM clamps, just making sure it fits good before ripping off the red tabs.

Also decided to replace the firewall hoses which are straight with the gates green stripe 5/8. Problem is that the gates hose is so wide, you can only use the breeze clamps on it... didn't know that. Learned the hard way, but this setup should last 20 years or more. I also did the PHH while I was there, so check on yours.

Next is the small heater hose, the ones that live under the throttle body. known as PHH #2 or something like that

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_9983.jpeg

Mr. T does have some clamps that will fit the green stripe. Heavier duty and just a tad wider. I just installed some when I replaced the lines to the rear seat heater this weekend. I believe the part # is: 90461-08706. Unfortunately, I had ripped open several bags and would not bet more than a lunch on this.

For future readers, I would nearly always replace the front main and oil pump seals, and tranny and ps lines. Foolish not to. Don't forget oil leaks soften those hoses, and the stress from dis/connecting those tranny lines is enough to do them in within a couple hundred miles. Ask me how I know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom