Wheel Bearing/ spindle damage? What am I lookin at? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was told by a shop to replace my front wheel bearings. After I got the hub cap off the passenger side, this is what I saw. I don’t see a snap ring. I don’t even see the grooves on the tip of the spindle. There is some narly damage on the spindle and the flange itself. Is it safe to say I need to just replace this whole assembly or can I just ahead and do the bearing only? If so could someone point me in the right direction as far as part numbers or what assembly to get. Thanks

76D491ED-DE16-490A-A63F-26A13DD05821.jpeg

7BEC405A-1DE7-4C1C-B574-44A725B1CEF6.jpeg

Was told by a shop to replace my front wheel bearings. After I got the hub cap off the passenger side, this is what I saw. I don’t see a snap ring. I don’t even see the grooves on the tip of the spindle. There is some narly damage on the spindle and the flange itself. Is it safe to say I need to just replace this whole assembly or can I just ahead and do the bearing only? If so could someone point me in the right direction as far as part numbers or what assembly to get. Thanks

View attachment 3265279

View attachment 3265280
Honestly, I don’t even know what I’m looking at. Is that the end of the spindle or birf? Someone please help clarify this for me.

You are looking at the flange, still attached. Get that off and you'll see the snap ring, spindle nuts, etc.

Yeah there's a few here. Counting myself depending. lol
Watch this and carry on. Everything you need to know. 👍

You are looking at the flange, still attached. Get that off and you'll see the snap ring, spindle nuts, etc.
Hold on a sec, there should be a snap ring on the end of the shaft there, maybe under all that grease. Also, the locking cone washers are still on the studs.

Hold on a sec, there should be a snap ring on the end of the shaft there, maybe under all that grease. Also, the locking cone washers are still on the studs.
Agreed on both points.
Reckoned the video would be faster all around.

Last time I came on here looking for advice at least 3-5 people were complete jerks to me. Thanks for helping me out. Never worked on trucks before so I’m very new to this

You got all 5 jerks ** in one thread? o_O
What did you say? :lol:

Looks odd for sure,
check there's no snap ring on the end of the birf, try and get the flange off then hopefully you can better see what you're dealing with.

** I hope I wasn't one

OTTRAMM's videos linked above are really great.

This video below was really helpful for me- for some reason was more clear and some practical hacks if you don't have SST's.
This is for front and rr wheel bearings. Though it's a good time to change brake pads/rotors if it needs it.

remember to buy a wheel bearing 'kit' because the races and bearings are matched set. You will need all the seals and
also a good time to replace some nuts and bolts if they are damaged- it's covered in the videos.

Here is prob what you need.
Flange depending on what year you have (two different styles matters what birfs as well.
New birf or just stub shaft, I would just buy new whole birfs
Wheel bearings
Front axle rebuild kit
Lock nuts for wheel bearings and Star washer
Spindles
Prob a knuckle for that side as well, plus hardware, with no clip on the end the birf is probably chewing up the knuckle.
If this was me I’d plan on front axle rebuild plus all new parts not just wheel bearings.
You really won’t know till you bust it all down.
Call cruiser outfitters for parts
If you are not mechanical take it to a cruiser shop, where are you located?

Absolutely watch the videos.
But can you wipe the end of the spindle off and take another pic. I can't tell if its packed with old dried grease or somebody's been beating the crap out of it with a sledge hammer.
The snap ring should be right there.

That sure does not look good... kind of looks like the shaft spun on the drive flange...

If you grab onto the hub, the thing with the lug studs, does it spin nicely, or can it move all over the place and sounds like steel on steel?

If it does... Not to worry everything is replacable, and you can get it all going again. In our local club we had a member @StucknKS that we replaced everything from the ball out and had it going again before dark....

That’s not the spindle, it’s the drive flange with the end of the birfield (stub axle) sticking out. And it looks like someone was beating on both.

Find a place to park it up for a few days, buy a front axle kit from Cruiser Outfitters or the like, and start digging in. It’s not too hard, just be methodical and take your time; it’s a rite of passage of ownership of one of these beasts to do a front axle service. As you dig into things, clean off the parts and inspect for damage. Take pics of cleaned components and post them here if an opinion is needed. Used parts vendors and folks doing part-outs can supply replacements of anything that is messed up that you find along the way. Just might take a few days to source and ship to you. Take your time and when you are done with replacing any boogered components you will have an extreme sense of satisfaction.

To get those cone washers off you will need a brass drift. I would also suggest a seal puller and a tie rod end puller (not a pickle fork) to get started.

Last edited:
These guys will get you on the right track.

If you don't know what some of the tools are, please ask. We'll send you links to what you need. Yes, Harbor Freight has tools that are usually "good enough" to get you started. You don't need to buy Snap-On for anything other than torque wrenches., even then, you can use other brands.

What year is your truck?

I also highly recommend Cruiser Outfitters.

If you actually call them and talk to a human, you'll get VERY good advice and they will not steer you wrong.

And people like Advance Auto Parts rent tools. Even torque wrenches. Although, I'd check one of theirs before I bet my life on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom