Wheel and wheel spacer questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am eyeballing a set of 1.5” wheel spacers with a 108mm hub bore. Research says these will fit (hopefully). Now they aren’t hub centric but I have a plan for that. I also have a set of 08 Silverado rims with brand new general grabber a/t2’s on them. The plan is, install spacers, install wheels and tires.
Will this work, or will I end up upside down missing at least one wheel?

Lug centric spacers (wheel adapters) will work just fine on the 80 series. Just make sure to get them centered using acorn nuts and torqued down, and retorqued after 100 miles, and again at 500. Same with the wheels. Of course properly backspaced wheels in the proper lug pattern are preferred, but you usually don’t get multiple chances to kill bus loads of nuns.

Also, frequently, the GM rims have a smaller ID than Toyota rims. Measure your ID to make sure they fit, before you buy.

Thank you for the input, the spacers were cheaper than wheels and have the right bore diameter as far as I could tell. Basically the spacers were to correct the wheels off the 08 having too small of a bore on them to work.

Thank you for the input, the spacers were cheaper than wheels and have the right bore diameter as far as I could tell. Basically the spacers were to correct the wheels off the 08 having too small of a bore on them to work.
Are you sure 1.5 inches is going to be enough? Doesn't sound right.

Don't believe all the nightmares. There are definitely some things to seriously consider before going with spacers and they are something that is important to do correctly and check them regularly to keep them free of issues. I've had 1.5" Spidertrax lug centric spacers (got them from Slee) on my 80 for the last 4 years with no issues.
Here's a few important things.

Make sure you're using wheel adapters that have their own studs/nuts, not just a spacer that fit over the stock wheel studs.
IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

Get good quality spacers from a proven/trusted brand. Spidertrax is one of the best there is. It's best to buy NEW spacers rather than used so you know there isn't any hidden damage. Spidertrax spacers will come with acorn type nuts that will center them on the lugs for proper fitment. Spidertrax are also a perfect fit on the 80 with the center bore having a nice tight fit over the Toyota hubs so its hard to not have them centered well.

I use some blue Loctite on the spacer nuts when attaching the spacer to the factory wheel studs. In the pics when I first put them on I used Red Loctite, you can see it a bit in the photos. Torque to 85lb/ft. I check them every couple months to make sure they are still torqued properly.

For a bit more piece of mind you could replace the original Toyota wheel studs with new ones so you know you don't have any stretched or damaged studs that could cause you issues. If you were to snap a wheel stud that was stretched or damaged, it wouldn't matter if you had spacers or just wheels with more offset. The scrub radius is the same and the forces on the studs is the same and a stud would probably break with or without spacers. So just make sure the studs and spacers are in good condition, use some Loctite, and check torque regularly and you shouldn't have any issues.

I used spacers on one of my old 4runners and they held up really well. Also spidertrax brand. As Adam said, just torque them properly, recheck torque after the first 100 miles or so, and then periodically going forward. I used red locktite per the instructions and never had to re-tighten them, although I did check every so often.

but you usually don’t get multiple chances to kill bus loads of nuns.
What's this your telling me, we get muilitple chances to kill bus loads of penguins, oh sorry, i meant to say sisters, if we use wheel spacers. Man i wish i would of known this secret way of getting rid of the sisters back when i went to Most Holy Trinity Catholic School.

What's this your telling me, we get muilitple chances to kill bus loads of penguins, oh sorry, i meant to say sisters, if we use wheel spacers. Man i wish i would of known this secret way of getting rid of the sisters back when i went to Most Holy Trinity Catholic School.
:rofl: 4 chances per truck. Possibly more if towing

My scrub radius hurts just thinking about this.
If the backspacing of the wheel plus spacer equals the stock wheel, there's no effect. It's probably pretty close.

I used red locktite per the instructions and never had to re-tighten them, although I did check every so often.
No point in checking them if you locktited them. You have no idea of they are holding the clamping force, or just bound up on the threads by the locktite.

:rofl: 4 chances per truck. Possibly more if towing
5 with the spare on the roof.

I'm with the no-go crowd on spacers. At the very least, I need not add more things to check regularly.

"Don't believe all the nightmares. There are definitely some things to seriously consider before going with spacers and they are something that is important to do correctly and check them regularly to keep them free of issues. I've had 1.5" Spidertrax lug centric spacers (got them from Slee) on my 80 for the last 4 years with no issues.
Here's a few important things."
Hi Adam! Would you mind checking the size of your spacers for me? I looked at the picture of your spacer on the front hub and then went out and measured and I'm coming up with 1.25" from the rotor to what I'll call the "lip of the hub cap." I was getting ready to order some and wanted to make sure I got the right size. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mine came with them because of the new Fj Cruiser wheels don’t really fit. They’re cheap ass g2 made in china junk. I’ve had the wheels off a couple times and it’s a pita. The studs that came in them are just crap. I might try the spider trax while I have these wheels but proper fitting wheels are climbing my list. Working thru maintenance atm.

I've got the spider trax 1.5's and am currently replacing the studs in them - but that's because my wheels have a rather thick pad and I wanted the lugnuts to grab all threads, instead of 5 like it currently is. Spacers are fine of you use your head and run them safely.
IMG_20210303_121346.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom