Whats Wrong With This Soa Pic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
According to Advanced Handling,the short end of the leaf is to be forward of the axle when installing their kit. That would increase the wheelbase by a few inches. Is this correct??

QUOTE FROM MAN-A-FRE.....12. Rotate the leaf springs so the front (long side) is now rearward. This insures the long side, or flex side originally coupled to the shackle remains coupled to the shackle as it was originally engineered to be.

100_1090.jpg

I slid my brackets back to increase the wheel base a little, but I didn't want to go that far forward. If you want the wheelbase, then yes the front housing goes forward a few inches. Relocate your bumpstops and you should be okay. Gotta move your shock mounts too. Ford towers are nice and easy, but you could just make new mounts at the housing.

Andy

it has been a few years, but the LCAH kit didn't need the leaf spring turned.
the MAF kit is different than the LCAH kit so they turn the spring to keep proper castor?

3PUPS,i checked the last frame-off in 1998 i did and the springs were not reversed and had awesome articulation. That being said they stayin in the factory position. Thanks

when doing a shackle reversal you need to keep the military wrap at the fixed end .(safety reasons) So the springs should be reversed . They will have a softer ride if the long side goes from axle to shackle end. I think you have the front brackets on backwards. Flip them side to side and you won't "find rocks"as they are so often refferred to .

I too think you have the brackets on backwards. My Cruiser had the "Gen 1" kit which places them in the direction like you have there. The newer ones, prob the one you have, get installed flipped from what your placement is. That will locate your axle right where it needs to be. Also- as others have said- military wrap needs to be at the fixed end, which is the short side of the spring.

cheers-
Dustin

Throw away the rock catchers and use the factory rear spring mount up front. Then toss out the rear brackets you have on there now and sleeve the frame.

Howdy! I agree with Ranger. On my 76 Piggy, SOA, SR, I just swapped the spring mounts from front to rear,and keep the military wrap on the solid mount, not the shackle. I did a cut and turn by clamping everything together with the spring pads just resting on top of the axle tubes. I dialed it in a 4 degrees of caster, tack welded the pads and knuckles stubs, then pulled it all apart and welded the snot out of it. So far, I have not had any complaints about it. It tracks like a sportscar on the freeway at 80+, and I wheel the crap out of it wearing 35" Krawlers. OH, by the way, I did my springover 19 years ago! John

The MAF ones I just cut off angle back. With the short side of the spring foreward, and mil wrap at the fixed end, your axle should end up in the stock location. My kit from MAF from a few years back had rounded bottoms. Yours looks like it is angled/flat cut like another brand or maybe older MAF?

FLYINGLOW said:
when doing a shackle reversal you need to keep the military wrap at the fixed end .(safety reasons) .

WHat are the safety reasons? what happens if you don't keep the military wraps on the fixed end?

X2 with dustin, the brackets are on backwards. You need to remove them and swap left to right. The angle should be toward the front, to help get over obstacles, and the straight side rearward.

Jerry D.

lingo said:
WHat are the safety reasons? what happens if you don't keep the military wraps on the fixed end?

If the main leaf breaks then the military wrap will keep it solidly (somewhat) tied to the frame. Otherwise its tied to a shackle that flops back and forth.

FLYINGLOW said:
If the main leaf breaks then the military wrap will keep it solidly (somewhat) tied to the frame. Otherwise its tied to a shackle that flops back and forth.

Thank you

ridgerunner said:
Is there a particular reason you went with this particular kit when doing a spring over? That's a lot of height.

The reason i went with this kit with a SOA is ive already done it and the articulation worked flawlessly as seen in pics. Yeah at highway speeds,it was a little freaky but i had a 4 turn box that seemed to tame it. As far as height,the last pic shows a profile and wearing 35",wasnt as tall as you might seem. Despite all the "backwards" comments,all i can say is it worked great for me. I also did flip the springs from the pic in the beginning of this thread,that was my original question,i just lost the paperwork and my memory is a little fryed.

scan0004.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

100_1145.jpg

I definity agree with all above to cut that sh#t off and go for low profile mounts, ones proffit sells are nice, I wish I would have used his
DSC02460.JPG

I am currently thinking about lowering mine some, and it sits only about 4-4.5" over stock, not to mention the extra width...

I ran those on my last cruiser, the only downfall to them is obviously your approach angle is considerably lower than a typical shackle reversal. Although, I will say on Fordyce Creek, Rubicon and Ershim Dusy trail I dont believe once I ever hit them on anything. It looks like Profitts are a little better engineered for a better approach angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom