What's that loud noise in reverse??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions on what might be causing a very strange sound in the 80's driveline.

It only happens in reverse when there is considerable resistance against the tires from either snow, thick mud or rocks. It does not happen when there is no resistance on the drivetrain and does not happen in "drive".

When I step on the gas in reverse, there is a loud howling sound coming from the rear? of the vehicle. It sounds like I'm running over Big Foot's toe and he's hollering about it. Sorry, can't think of a better example becasue I've never heard anything like it. I do feel a vibration in the chassis when the sound is happening and it feels like something is slipping.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Randy Elkin
Natick, MA TLCA#5682
'82 FJ40
'97 FZJ80

Transmission problem. Been reported in the past. I've not experienced it myself. Others have.

i talked to someone else who kina had the same problem as you....i dont know i havent heard it to compare with your bigfoot analogy. :D wait a couple seconds after you switch to reverse to step on the gas. thats the only thing the guy told me. sorry if it dosent help.

Hi Randy, normal for a A343 tranny. There have been 2 TSBs that address the tranny in your truck. Mine has been doing it for 4 years now and hasn't gotten any worse. Just give it a bit before powering into it.

It may or may not be unusual, but I don't think it is normal, as in "its suppose to do that". Otherwise my '97 is abnormal.

Would a fluid exchange on the tranny help this at all?

No TSB's nor fluid change are going to help, and it is not normal, my dealer did not know what the problem is and would have to take tranny apart to be able to find solution. Too expensive to find out....:frown:

This has been covered at least twice in recent memory. See:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=68947
for both threads (one links to the other, just look for my post).
I believe this is related to the "delayed reverse engagement" TSB,
which requires check balls to be added.

442F's rule! :D

semlin- you already threw in those .02 in the referenced threads! ;) I guess this means I have to do my part and paste in my typical retort:

"Boy, I sure am glad I don't have an A442F. No flaring problems, no solenoid problems, plus I have 2nd gear start and smoother shifting." :cheers:

I guess I shouldn't have said normal, but it's not all that unusually either. The TSBs seem to address the issue from reading them, but I haven't had the work done. This problem had come about at around 85k, gotten a little worse but now with 192k seems to be getting better. Not sure why it's going like this unless the tranny has worn enough to engage a little easier. In those high torque situations I just make sure I'm in low and everything is fine.

alaskacruiser said:
"Boy, I sure am sad I don't have an A442F anymore. " :cheers:

fixed it for you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom