reverse issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed when I attempt to back up a hill or over a large rock that the truck just won't do it. I will 1st feel the resistance and the truck trying to move then a clunk,like something just gives and I let off the gas. The last time it did this I tried a second time and didn't get the clunk but heard a noise that sounded like a couple pieces of metal with a lot of pressure on each other sorta screech ( for lack of a better word) and I definately got off the throttle. Any ideas what this may be?

A little history, last summer while driving along the Snake river my cousin and I spotted a fairly large sturgeon in shallow water and I of course slowed to a stop and was gonna back up to get a better look. When I came to a stop I didnt give the tranny a moment to shift into reverse (it's a bit slow at that ) and gave it gas then BAM it found reverse. A very bad feeling believe me.

Any help would definately be appreciated. Vince

Rick, Thanks for the reply. So my almighty Landcruiser is incapable of backing up a semi-steep grade? I'm surprised no one has brought this up before. Just doesn't seem right but I do respect your opinion. Any more input or experiences from others would be appreciated.

Thnx, Vince

Put it in LOW... and push on the gas harder:)

Mine will occasionally buck a little.... I just live with it:)

Gotta love the big bus tranny in the early models! :D

Rob, You hit the nail on the head. Bucking is a perfect description. I have put it in low and overcome my obstacle. Just seems like something under there is gonna break and scares the snot outta me. I didn't think my beloved cruiser had a weakness (if you can call it that) but this is the only one I've found. Glad to hear my tranny isn't screwing up or worse.

Thnx for the replies guy's, Vince

(Previously discussed here):
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19571&highlight=reverse

I've had this happen once when I changed gears from drive to reverse and tried to back up a steep incline (but I didn't know it was a tranny problem), and I've been able to avoid the problem ever since by doing the following (can be done using 1 foot on 2 pedals, but I prefer the 2 foot method):

1. Change gears to reverse while holding left foot on brake, wait for reverse to engage
2. Keep left foot on brake, start accelerating with right foot
3. Continue accelerating more with right foot while letting off brake with left foot

Not sure why this works, but it does.

Live and learn...

I wish I could post this under an alias... At least in my case, a factory reman tranny exhibits the same misbehavior. No problem in Low range. I had talked myself into suspecting something in the center diff / viscous coupling, but now I'm going to leave bad enough alone. Oh well, BigMac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom