What's in your emergency road kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What special equipment and spare parts do you take with you when you make long trips in your 60 series?

I've recently started planning a 2000 mile road trip this summer from Portland Oregon to my ancestral homelands of central Montana. Most of my time will be spent on pavement, but I also plan to camp a few nights in the rough stuff outside the Missouri River Breaks national monument. While I have no specific reasons to doubt that my rig is capable, it's nearly 30 years old and has 208k miles on the odometer.

"Hope for the best but plan for the worst" as the saying goes. So apart from the usual 4wd recovery gear, fuel cans, and survival stuff, here's what I have so far:

• Standard 159 piece tool set from Costco
  • Metric deep impact sockets
  • 54mm axle socket
  • Caliper bolts
  • Brake hoses
  • Fuses

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Assuming your tool kit is inclusive of basic hand tools...here are some other things I carry (somewhat in order of importance to me at least)
Headlamp (for you not the truck)
Spare tire
Zip ties
Duct tape
Baling wire
Couple of spare $20’s hidden out
Honest to goodness paper USA road atlas
Extra fluids
Cell phone battery charger thingee
Drinking water
Nitrile gloves
Flashlight(s)
Non perishable food
Extra contacts and pair of glasses
Extra socks
Coat/raincoat depending on weather
Compressor and tire plug kit
Heater hose
Extra rad hoses
Spare lug nuts
Extra U joints
4 lb hammer
Hydraulic jack
Jumper cables
Tow rope
Brass drift
Cold chisel
Extra wheel bearings
Random lengths of brake tube with M10
fittings to use in a pinch
Pickle fork
Random assortment of spare bolts and nuts
16ga electrical wire
Crimp splices
Small multimeter
Grease
Anti seize
Bulbs
...and probably a bunch of crap
I forgot.

Most of this crap is with me all the time, therefore I never need it :D

Guess what the only thing I needed was on a 3,000 mile road trip from New York to Washington State?.....gasoline...!!!! well that and toll money till I got across the big river!

Last edited:
Coffee, lots of coffee!

I have driven back and forth from Va to Co for the last 5 years to do some offroading and fishing. I am use to those high mountain lakes and streams being from BC.

I carry the following

Complete tool set (wrenches, sockets, pliers, odd one off tools I made, axle sockets, etc)
Full electrical kit (tape, connectors, crimpers, wire etc.)
duct tape
spare brake line
Pipe cutter
brake line flair tool
bulbs, relays, other elect connectors that I have as spares.
fluids: brake, engine oil, Antifreeze, washer fluid, PS fluid, gear oil
Nuts and bolts, general nuts and bolts kit that i have + some extra lug nuts in case)
A real jack on a custom made aluminum sled + 1 aluminum jack stand.
Recovery gear (the usual + 100 ft of synthetic rope and some other things)
rad hose and hose splice
heater hose
fuel hose
vacuum lines
xtra belts
xtra u-joints
Zip ties (both plastic and metal)
Battery operated shop light (has a flashlight as well)
I use to care extra axles, but i do not off road hard any more.
and bunch of other stuff I am forgetting.

All of this is stored in 3 tubs (big items are loose and strapped down), all labeled.

So ... I've been having this same conversation with myself. I plan on doing at least 1 high-mile trip per year. So far, there is some good info.

I'm primarily concerned about the small stuff. I'll be honest ... If the fuel pump goes out or something like that, I have no idea how to fix it (feel free to point me in the direction of adding an external/secondary fuel pump). So for me, it's about saving the small problems.

- Fuses
- Belts
- Basic Fluids (Oil, ATF, Brake)
- Duck Tape
- Zip Ties
- Cables for my LS Engine
- Brake Lines
- Random Metric Bolts
- Electrical Stuff
- Flashlights and Headlamps
- Tire Repair Kit

For obvious reasons, I carry a bunch of other personal items and tools. I would like to have some form of on-board air, but I'm not there yet.

Awesome feedback so far! Honestly, I think the FAQ could use a high quality thread on this subject.

I was stranded for a few days last fall when my caliper bolts decided to become one with the eastern Idaho wilderness during a road trip. While in retrospect it's pretty cool how many redundant bolts are installed on your rig that will also keep your brake caliper attached to the hub in a pinch, I made a blood oath to never again leave the house without a set of replacement caliper bolts and brake hoses.

This got me thinking what size bolts, nuts, and screws are so abundant on a 60 series that a person should carry them all the time? What kinds of hoses and what lengths should be part of an emergency repair kit? And other than fuses, what should make up an electrical repair kit?

Awesome feedback so far! Honestly, I think the FAQ could use a high quality thread on this subject.

I was stranded for a few days last fall when my caliper bolts decided to become one with the eastern Idaho wilderness during a road trip. While in retrospect it's pretty cool how many redundant bolts are installed on your rig that will also keep your brake caliper attached to the hub in a pinch, I made a blood oath to never again leave the house without a set of replacement caliper bolts and brake hoses.

This got me thinking what size bolts, nuts, and screws are so abundant on a 60 series that a person should carry them all the time? What kinds of hoses and what lengths should be part of an emergency repair kit? And other than fuses, what should make up an electrical repair kit?

Sometime I wonder why these things happen. Then I think why the hell was that not designed with bolts like they use in the aircraft industry?
In case you do not know these are the ones that have the safety wire though them. I think in a lot of cases this would make sense especially on an offroad vehicle.

Last edited:
Have a paper copy of the Toyota maintenance manual. Or at least a saved PDF on a laptop or pad.

Safety wire on the caliper bolts is a great idea. Maybe Jason or Kurt will find a high strength, drilled bolt and offer it for sale. I've never had a problem with these bolts but enough Mudders have to consider it a concern.

Here's some of first aid for the: 60
Half dozen flares.
Duck tape., electrical tape
Every type of metric wrenc...stubby, offset, ratchet, flare etc.
Gallon on 15w40 Dino oil, brake fluid, dexron 3 fluid, gallon on prestone and gallon of water.
Extra ammo for outdoor activities/predators both 4 and 2 legged types, deer lease
First aid kit for people.

The water is great for 2 reasons
1 drinking
2 Cruiser may need it.

When I am out for a long haul, I have a 5 gallon water supply, for my drinking. I use to carry two, one for washing, and do when I am with the kids. By myself, 1 works.

Ratchet straps!!
Circuit opening relay and starter (62 guys) + a generic relay or 2
Alternator/voltage regulator
Mental note of how to reroute belts in the event the air pump seizes
Hose clamp assortment
Jb weld
What everyone else has said

I'm primarily concerned about the small stuff. I'll be honest ... If the fuel pump goes out or something like that, I have no idea how to fix it (feel free to point me in the direction of adding an external/secondary fuel pump)....

The thing is, when you’re in a foreign vehicle that’s 20/30/40+ years old, parts availability isn’t the same as newer car. Even if it’s beyond your skill set, having spares is worthwhile. When you’re in a remote town and the garage you managed to limp into says the alternator you need is a 3 day wait you’d wish you had a spare...

The thing is, when you’re in a foreign vehicle that’s 20/30/40+ years old, parts availability isn’t the same as newer car. Even if it’s beyond your skill set, having spares is worthwhile. When you’re in a remote town and the garage you managed to limp into says the alternator you need is a 3 day wait you’d wish you had a spare...

Honestly ... I never thought of it that way. Welp ... now I need to rethink my strategy. Thanks, Dude!

All I take in my emergency kit.
7E18F69B-4D8E-4BFF-93ED-129819E6F6B6.jpeg

5413EB2A-CC5F-4D31-9C5F-17C9C351EE99.jpeg

Log of snuff
Jumbo coffee cup

I carry every tool I own since I live out of my truck for work and road trip to my job in the spring and fall.

I would reccomend a several foot long section of fuel line and hose s*** off pinch pliers and zipties. Very useful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom